A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Boot lock problem (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5403)

The_Laird 24th September 2012 08:49 AM

Boot lock problem

I've started on the job of replacing the boot lock and moving the camera to the nearside. So, boot lock back in place and mostly working. It unlocks with the key fob and locks and unlocks with the key. BUT - it doesn't lock/unlock with the central locking with the rest of the car. I can see what's supposed to happen (I think): there's a short rod that goes from the key barrel to a pump (?) of some sort and, although this moves manually if pulled by hand (and disengages the key barrel), it does nothing when the rest of the car is locked/unlocked.

Now, the rod has been cable-tied up whilst it wasn't being used. Could that have caused something to fail?

Oh, and BTW - no smutty innuendos about short rods being pulled by hand please. :tuttut:

47p2 24th September 2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 46710)
Oh, and BTW - no smutty innuendos about short rods being pulled by hand please. :tuttut:

As if we would even contemplate mentioning your short rod and slow hand shuffle :tuttut:

The_Laird 24th September 2012 11:51 AM

Don't tell me no-one has the answer to this one? :(

david@a8parts 24th September 2012 11:59 AM

Does the central locking pump run on for an extended period of time when you lock or unlock the car?

The pump (?) thingy that you reference is the vacuum operated bit of the locking for the boot which is seperate from the electric boot release via the button on the drivers sill or the central button on the key. The vacuum (or pressure) created by the central locking pump pulls or pushes to lock or unlock the boot so if it isnt moving when the locking or unlocking is activated then I can only assume that the air is being lost somewhere. This would however result in the pump running on longer than the usual 1-2 seconds.

For the purpose of testing the locking on a D2 can be opened or closed using your mouth and sucking or blowing (this is going downhill rapidly isnt it!) and as such should move the bellows on the boot lid in or out....

HPsauce 24th September 2012 12:02 PM

I don't know the answer, just trying to apply some logic to the problem.
AFAIK the boot central lock is operated by a vacuum system, like the rest of the central locking.
On my (admittedly earlier) S8 you can hear the pump working (about a second) when you lock/unlock the whole car. You then still have to press the boot button in to open it (assuming you've set the boot lock position to allow that).
The key is clearly just a local mechanical operation, so most of the mechanism must be OK as that works.
On my car just opening the boot with the remote boot button makes a sort of "solenoid" noise, no air/vacuum involved, so I guess that's a local unit in the boot lid.

So it sounds like you "may" not have the vacuum deadlock unit connected properly for the boot. Or you may just have the keylock in the wrong position..... :o

The_Laird 24th September 2012 12:09 PM

The central locking pump only seems to run for a couple of seconds and the rest of the system works fine. The short rod that is connected to the lock and then to the 'pump' thingy doesn't move at all, even when disconnected. Is it easy to remove and check?

The_Laird 24th September 2012 12:11 PM

I wonder if it was disconnected when James replaced the lock with the camera? It seems pretty inaccessible though

The_Laird 24th September 2012 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The rod without the 'hook' is the item in question

briang9 24th September 2012 12:46 PM

Jim you are welcome to have a look at mine to see how it works if you like?

cheers

The_Laird 24th September 2012 12:52 PM

The photos are from David's car - already had his in bits! I think I just need a guide as to how the short rod mechanism is connected to the central locking pump. I'll try a PM to James to see if he can shed any light on it