A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Battery failure? help! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9772)

David's8 31st March 2015 07:04 AM

Battery failure? help!

On returning from being away for a month (and , mistakenly, not getting The Laird to start my car very week or so) the car started ok yesterday but then started to run rough with all sorts of warning lights coming up - ABS, battery, lights, etc. it then dropped in revs to 4-500rpm and then died. I put the battery on charge overnight ( ctec mx5). But this morning when I went to start it started ok but after a few minutes as I took it outside for a drive to get the rust off the brake, the revs dropped and it died again. Went to get vcds. But realised I gave it to the Laird whilst I was away. Is this just a battery thing?

David's8 31st March 2015 07:41 AM

Update. Went out to check on the car and it started ok with plenty of oomph in the battery so I got it back up the drive. It then started misfiring and died. The Laird was at a home so brought around vcds and a scan showed multiple low voltage issues and misfiring. However, it starts ok with seemingly sufficient power in the battery but then runs rough before dying. I guess I need to get the battery condition checked. Can this be checked with vcds?

Dezzy 31st March 2015 07:50 AM

Seems odd David, i was getting similar when my the fuel pump died. But seeing it's been sat a while i wouldn't rule the battery out yet. But as you've given it a charge it's either not taking a charge or your alternator is'nt pushing out juice. VCDS back off Jim i think, and maybe the battery out his boot to try? Rule out the battery it's self

David's8 31st March 2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 91529)
Seems odd David, i was getting similar when my the fuel pump died. But seeing it's been sat a while i wouldn't rule the battery out yet. But as you've given it a charge it's either not taking a charge or your alternator is'nt pushing out juice. VCDS back off Jim i think, and maybe the battery out his boot to try? Rule out the battery it's self

I will concentrate on the battery first thing as you say as its the obvious candidate. It's odd though that when started it won't run off the alternator. :Confused:

Architex_mA8tey 31st March 2015 08:20 AM

how much fuel is in the car David? it does sound like a fuel pump or transfer issue - can you get some more fuel in there if it is lowish on fuel to eliminate that one?

David's8 31st March 2015 08:30 AM

its at about 1/4 tank. Thats not been a problem before and it would be strange if it just happened after being not used for 1 month. Going to get the battery checked first and then work from there.

Adrian E 31st March 2015 08:33 AM

Are you waiting 6 seconds after switching the ignition on before cranking? It could be the throttle body needs to do a self check after its lost power. You can force it with VCDS but it automatically does it if you do as above before starting.

Mine only just fired on the last occasion of using the old battery and I got ABS and TC warning lights on together as there wasn't sufficient power for the ABS controller to self check.

If you do need a new battery there was much discussion about options recently when I needed mine. Halfords for a Yuasa 5 yr warranty effort, with a trade card discount, is what I went for in the end.

David's8 31st March 2015 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 91537)
Are you waiting 6 seconds after switching the ignition on before cranking? It could be the throttle body needs to do a self check after its lost power. You can force it with VCDS but it automatically does it if you do as above before starting.

Mine only just fired on the last occasion of using the old battery and I got ABS and TC warning lights on together as there wasn't sufficient power for the ABS controller to self check.

If you do need a new battery there was much discussion about options recently when I needed mine. Halfords for a Yuasa 5 yr warranty effort, with a trade card discount, is what I went for in the end.

Thanks for that Adrian - was just reading that thread +++
I will try waiting 6 secs and see if that does it.

David's8 31st March 2015 08:51 AM

Well, tried that pausing to allow the throttle body to self check. The engine is turning over strongly and catches ok but then runs v rough, misfiring badly - sounds like its running on 3 out of 8 - before dying. :(

I am beginning to think that the battery is ok and is now holding sufficient charge but that the voltage drop has affected something else. Will look at fuel issues as suggested by Neil/Dezzy.
Its not helped by the fact that its freezing rain outside ..... 3 days ago I was in temperatures of c30degC and clear blue skies and now Iam freezing my n+ts off.

HPsauce 31st March 2015 08:56 AM

Last time mine behaved anything like that it was "just" a faulty temperature sensor.
But as others have suggested, it could be fuel pickup so get some more in. Somehow. Multiple trips with can/cans to the garage?