A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Insurance Time For The D2 A8 - Options (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14332)

steamship 18th July 2018 03:34 PM

Insurance Time For The D2 A8 - Options

It's coming up to that time of the year again as I've just got my renewal notice for the D2. Current renewal quote is for £382. Under normal circumstances, I usually just do a couple of quick online compares, and then go to pay my current insurer and ask if they can better their existing quote, which they usually do.

However, now that I've decided to try and keep the D2 in my possession AND restore (don't really like that work) it to some of its former glory (I have abused it for the last five years), it will be doing a lot less miles (say 2,000, maybe less). I did get an online quote for £295, but just looking for options on trying to get the insurance for less. Any suggestions on particular insurance companies I should look into, that may not be included in the compare sites?

BTW The other reason for asking is that I now have... ahem... three A8s, the '01 D2 A8, the '08 D3 S8 I bought in February and a '04 D3 A8 I bought in April as a daily to replace the D2, so trying to save a few quid here and there.

paulrstaylor 18th July 2018 04:35 PM

Try LV multicar, I have 3 out of four cars with them at the moment, the fourth is for sale!

The_Laird 18th July 2018 09:00 PM

I have Admiral multicar for my S8 and a BMW mini. They’ve been hard to beat.

HPsauce 18th July 2018 09:18 PM

I migrated recently from Direct Line to Privilege for a big saving; are they both available in NI? (Same company under the skin)

vagdream 18th July 2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 143622)
It's coming up to that time of the year again as I've just got my renewal notice for the D2. Current renewal quote is for £382. Under normal circumstances, I usually just do a couple of quick online compares, and then go to pay my current insurer and ask if they can better their existing quote, which they usually do.

However, now that I've decided to try and keep the D2 in my possession AND restore (don't really like that work) it to some of its former glory (I have abused it for the last five years), it will be doing a lot less miles (say 2,000, maybe less). I did get an online quote for £295, but just looking for options on trying to get the insurance for less. Any suggestions on particular insurance companies I should look into, that may not be included in the compare sites?

BTW The other reason for asking is that I now have... ahem... three A8s, the '01 D2 A8, the '08 D3 S8 I bought in February and a '04 D3 A8 I bought in April as a daily to replace the D2, so trying to save a few quid here and there.

I don't know how old you are but I've got my D2 S8 with Saga at £170.

HPsauce 18th July 2018 09:45 PM

I don't think Saga has a lower age limit, but they market to the "50+" demographic.

Anyway Sean is "retired". As for his age, having spent a lot of time with him, still dunno….

steamship 18th July 2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 143625)
Try LV multicar, I have 3 out of four cars with them at the moment, the fourth is for sale!

Now that you mention them, I have heard their ad on the radio, but never considered them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 143627)
I have Admiral multicar for my S8 and a BMW mini. They’ve been hard to beat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 143629)
I migrated recently from Direct Line to Privilege for a big saving; are they both available in NI? (Same company under the skin)

Will check Admiral, Direct Line & Privilege tomorrow & see what they say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagdream (Post 143630)
I don't know how old you are but I've got my D2 S8 with Saga at £170.

To quote HPsauce below, I fall into the '50+' demographic. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 143631)
I don't think Saga has a lower age limit, but they market to the "50+" demographic.

Anyway Sean is "retired". As for his age, having spent a lot of time with him, still dunno….

Well Andrew, at least I'm in the right demographic. +++ Still not retired though, more 'medically unfit'... although with my current insurer, 'retired' is cheaper than 'unemployed'. :(

Thanks for those names so far. Be interesting to see what quotes they come back with. Watch this space.

pete-p 19th July 2018 08:03 AM

I was reading an article today about a new company By Miles their initial price seems to be around £150 then you pay something like 3p per mile to a max of 150 miles a day. Unfortunately though it doesn't look like they will cover the D2 S8, not sure if it's the vehicle age or something else.

MikkiJayne 19th July 2018 08:15 AM

That's the best captcha ever! :love:

pete-p 19th July 2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 143642)
That's the best captcha ever! :love:

It is, isn't it! :cool:

EDIT: I've just had an online chat with them and the D2 S8 shows up as an insurance group 46 which is too high for their underwriters at the moment!