A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Spotless (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Detailing Master Class (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132)

Conan_the_Librarian 26th January 2009 11:04 AM

Detailing Master Class

An idea for a Club activity could be a Detailing Master class.+++

Following on from the Club post here.

And the comments on my detailing work here

How about a Master Class in Detailing?

We get an acknowledged Detailer to present a detail as a days event.:D

Club members buy a ticket to raise the funds to cover the costs. We all rock up at the central venue. Each ticket has a number attached, the lucky number is drawn at the start of the event and that lucky basket gets their car detailed!:veryhappy:

Would anyone be interested? :cheers: Would also be included. :)

Tony what do you think?

Mike

IT 26th January 2009 12:19 PM

By heck, you soootherners know how to have fun.... oooop north we drink pints and go to strip clubs, :cheers:but if we absolutely must do something car related then its probably not a bad idea :D

Botang 26th January 2009 07:45 PM

Fear not Ian I knwo the girls from the local lap danicing establishment, you never know it could end up as an interesting photo shoot!

I am interested in detailing, but to be honest id be more interested in Mike or Ska showing us whats possible with a scrap A8 parts bonnet than with a professional. I want to understand how brave to be with audi paint, what polishes to use with a porta cable, etc.

Conan_the_Librarian 26th January 2009 08:11 PM

I would be more than happy to as I'm sure Ska would. But I don't know how brave I am. I'm perpetually terrified of overdoing it and yet never seem to get some marks out. I could do with some guidance as much as the next man. I don't mind bringing the kit and consumables. Maybe Ska and I could do a double act.....

What do you think Ska?

Mike

Ska 26th January 2009 08:19 PM

Detailing in front of an audience makes me light headed:p
I will if you will Mike+++; Sounds good to me do you have a porter cable or a rotary? I'll try and dig out that old inverter to power it up. I'm no profesional but we can have a joly good laugh so long as Ian doesn't charge me for messing up his body parts:ROFL:

Conan_the_Librarian 26th January 2009 09:44 PM

Well if we get to do it on Ian's body parts that makes it all right! Although I would rather use a car bonnet or such. :ROFL:

I have a PC and a mix of mazerna and poorboys polishes + loads of Sealers and Glazes. I only use Dodo juice waxes though with the exception of white cars for which I have some liquid wax.

I still prefer the idea of a pro doing a master class though.

Mike

Oli18 26th January 2009 09:56 PM

I would be very interested in mike's original idea and don't mind paying for the priveledge. I love detailing and doing it with a pro around would really ad value as far as i'm concerned.

I'm in the same boat as mike and ska...doing it on your own with decent results but would be great to get a proper pro to teach the ins and outs....audi paint is a real 'mare and some pro advice would help me detail in the future.

-Oli

A8_Tony 1st February 2009 06:12 AM

I think it's a top idea. But, only as long as I have the winning ticket ;) +++

In all seriousness, the A8OC wants to provide a service to its members, and if this means events like this that they find useful, then I'm all for it.

More details of the OC will be coming forth soon, I promise. Just need a few hours to sit down and work out some of the finer details +++

P.S. If Ska or Mike need something to practice on, I know of a lovely Ebony Black A8 in need of attention ;) :cool:

Conan_the_Librarian 1st February 2009 08:07 AM

Hmmmmmmm Ebony Black? Is that Sven's? No, No, not Svens. You don't have an ebony black 8 do you Ska? No, not you.......................
mkoneman maybe? Could be Zip? Or Abs, or has he sold it? This is difficult. :Confused: It's got me beat. Who is it Tony? :D

Mike

Ska 1st February 2009 09:31 AM

So many rerquests to do fellow 8 owners cars; Mike do you want to go in to business together:D I could do the top half why you do the lower half of a car & I'm sure we'll get one finished by late August:ROFL:
No but seriously our cars are BIG (as if you hadn't already noticed;)), and most of us either don't have access to a garage (or one thats large enough anyway) or the time (I can only manage one Full detail in the year then its maintaining details the rest of the year). Detailing an 8 would take a fair bit of time (days perhaps); just depends on how err...detailed you want to be. Bottom line is the idea of a professional detailing our cars, say in a rota basis through an owners club scheme would be great; we could negotiate a lower group buy with the detailer & be safe in the knowlegde that your car will cleaned at least once a year:p It doesn't need to be a full detail perhaps just paint work correction & protection which is proly the biggest headache on A8 VAG paint (seeing as someone thought it had to with stand a nuclear attck!). The cost for this for our cars may be around £400 at a guess perhaps more; it's a lot of effort - something you never fully realise until you put polish to paint.