A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other Audis (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Third generation A3 (8V) e-tron (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11019)

HPsauce 6th January 2016 10:33 AM

Third generation A3 (8V) e-tron

Has anyone looked at these at all?

Further deliberations on replacing our #2 car (antique Focus) suggests the A3 e-tron "might" be a contender.
Any thoughts or information welcome.

IT 6th January 2016 11:08 AM

I looked fairly closely at these, but ended up studying in more depth the virtually identical, cheaper (and better looking) Golf GTE.

I was looking from a company car purchase perspective, where there are various initiatives to make it seem a good idea.

As a personal purchase, I would concern that the technology should move on fairly quickly in this area, which could lead to very questionable residuals.

I was also put off by the (fairly standard across manufacturers admittedly) warranty on the batteries that shows no interest until the batteries are down to at least 70% effective.

I've been in both the E tron Hybrid and an E-Golf (pure battery). The battery modes are eerily quiet, but don't worry, because the battery will last only a very short while, so then you can switch to fossil fuel and pay extra mpg to lug around the batteries and motors all day long whilst enjoying the compromised handling due to extra weight...... :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, how ever I sliced it - A golf R was working out cheaper to buy than a Golf E, and there was no getting past that......

Watch the government grant also - only applied if you're the first keeper, so ex demos are instantly worth 5 grand less.

The tech is cool. If a Tesla cost half as much, I'd likely have one. But the VW group (or anyone else for that matter) just doesn't seem to have anything decent to offer.

Let us know you're own conclusions though..... +++

Johnmed 6th January 2016 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 104530)
I looked fairly closely at these, but ended up studying in more depth the virtually identical, cheaper (and better looking) Golf GTE.

I was looking from a company car purchase perspective, where there are various initiatives to make it seem a good idea.

As a personal purchase, I would concern that the technology should move on fairly quickly in this area, which could lead to very questionable residuals.

I was also put off by the (fairly standard across manufacturers admittedly) warranty on the batteries that shows no interest until the batteries are down to at least 70% effective.

I've been in both the E tron Hybrid and an E-Golf (pure battery). The battery modes are eerily quiet, but don't worry, because the battery will last only a very short while, so then you can switch to fossil fuel and pay extra mpg to lug around the batteries and motors all day long whilst enjoying the compromised handling due to extra weight...... :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, how ever I sliced it - A golf R was working out cheaper to buy than a Golf E, and there was no getting past that......

Watch the government grant also - only applied if you're the first keeper, so ex demos are instantly worth 5 grand less.

The tech is cool. If a Tesla cost half as much, I'd likely have one. But the VW group (or anyone else for that matter) just doesn't seem to have anything decent to offer.

Let us know you're own conclusions though..... +++

^Have to agree with what seems to be a very balanced and well informed response.

I want a Tesla. I do see it as a step forward in technology. While we ICE car owners have little individual power stations under our bonnets, the electric vehicle draws its power from a power station, ideally a super efficient one.

The Tesla Model S, the power, the speed they (super)charge and the range they can achieve is staggering. But, I don't want it so much to spend the going rate for one. But then I could say the same about the D3. When new 7/8 years mine was ~£52k standard and I liked it then but wouldn't have spent that on one.

My problem with the other electric cars available from VAG, Nissan and BMW is the compromises. While the Leaf seems to have a decent range at least, it still entails driving around in a Leaf. Yuck. The VAG Hybrid things have issues, listed above and the i3 from BMW will likely only do 70 miles, realistically, on a full charge. Currently I'd frequently be getting home on a prayer, gritting my teeth and paying a premium for the privilege.

Until there's a sort of Tesla style electric car, that's more affordable I'm just going to stick with DERV. Which I think is a shame.

For me the only electric car there is, is a Tesla Model S. The rest just seem to have made one compromise too many.

HPsauce 7th January 2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 104564)
the i3 from BMW will likely only do 70 miles

Guy I know got one of those reckoning the range was more than adequate to commute into London (West End) and back.
But it wasn't, and all the charging points are monopolised by delivery vans and couriers so he couldn't top up during the day. :-(

Persuaded BMW to take it back and replace it with the version that has a small "top-up" petrol engine as well, just adds a few more miles range in an emergency.

IT 7th January 2016 11:08 AM

I think pure electric drive makes so much sense - Its mechanically so much simpler and easier to deliver, and almost maintenance free, and as batteries get better, the car holds residuals as swap the batteries for new tech and all is well for a few more years.

But at present, it does need 'range extender' capabilities in the form of an onboard / removable fossil fuel generator to eliminate the range anxiety that many folk suffer from.

Most cars are full electric, or full hybrid. I'm not sure why the manufacturers are't embracing the range extender half way house with a bit more gusto...

HPsauce 7th January 2016 11:14 AM

The "range extender" ought to be a very cheap and light add-on, after all it doesn't need much more technology than goes into a portable petrol leaf-blower backpack and they are cheap enough.

IT 7th January 2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 104577)
The "range extender" ought to be a very cheap and light add-on, after all it doesn't need much more technology than goes into a portable petrol leaf-blower backpack and they are cheap enough.

My thoughts exactly.....

paulrstaylor 7th January 2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 104578)
My thoughts exactly.....

I think they already exist........

See Here +++

mannyo 7th January 2016 02:44 PM

One chap on the forum which I am super moderator has just got a Tesla Model S, he has driven it from Essex to Devon and back and more. Read his thread linked below (From Page 28)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...thread/page-28

He also has Some Nissan Leafs which his business owns.

tintin 8th January 2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 104587)
One chap on the forum which I am super moderator has just got a Tesla Model S, he has driven it from Essex to Devon and back and more. Read his thread linked below (From Page 28)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...thread/page-28

He also has Some Nissan Leafs which his business owns.

Good thread - fairly well informed, and fact-based.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 104530)

There's always this in that price range:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/107...drive-ces-2016

Oh wait, it's a Chevy… :-(

tintin 10th January 2016 12:39 PM

CES EV summary article

1 Attachment(s)
Edited pdf version of analyst report attached - for those with an interest in these things ;) Fairly brief, and covers all the main makers, including VW/Audi...

HPsauce 3rd February 2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 104528)
Has anyone looked at these at all?

Well I now have. Had a decent test drive today.
It felt just like driving a normal front-wheel-drive car, though maybe a little quieter than the S8 some of the time. No Quattro option on these.

Went a fair few miles on various roads and the petrol engine only kicked in a few yards from getting back to the dealership as I'd run the battery flat. :tuttut:

Perfectly acceptable performance, even overtaking was brisk enough using kickdown. Runs out of acceleration at exactly 83mph (allegedly :rolleyes: ).

The plug-in battery top-up would work well for us at home and many of our shorter journeys would be very cheap, especially as the S8 does the long- haul trips.

No option for memory seats though which is a bit of a pain :-( , so went off to look at Volvo V40's which look a bit weird but actually can do everything we want.
Heated windscreens, electric memory seats and adaptive cruise are all options. Even 4WD on some models though no hybrids.

HPsauce 17th February 2016 04:37 PM

Continuing this thread, we went for a test drive yesterday in a Mercedes A-class.
Not sure what possessed me to do that, but we were let loose unsupervised for about an hour and both drove it. It was a range-topping AMG-style model, but was nonetheless dire. :Confused:

Afterwards, as we got back into the S8, SWMBO smiled and said "this car always smells and feels nice, reminds me of holidays in Scotland..." +++
(that's where most of our longer S8 journeys have ended up, and she was combining the PF and FL into one - both equally "leathered up" though the PF had some extra alcantara on the seats)

tintin 17th February 2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 106697)
Continuing this thread, we went for a test drive yesterday in a Mercedes A-class.
Not sure what possessed me to do that, but we were let loose unsupervised for about an hour and both drove it. It was a range-topping AMG-style model, but was nonetheless dire. :Confused:

Afterwards, as we got back into the S8, SWMBO smiled and said "this car always smells and feels nice, reminds me of holidays in Scotland..." +++
(that's where most of our longer S8 journeys have ended up, and she was combining the PF and FL into one - both equally "leathered up" though the PF had some extra alcantara on the seats)

I've just handed back my S-Class hire car. Equally as dire as your A class experience - I may not think that Audi are perfect at the moment, but Mercedes seem to be significantly inferior. So glad to have my own car back again.

Adrian E 17th February 2016 05:39 PM

Try an i3 with range extender - it's what I consider the best option for urban runabout from that ilk. Slightly leftfield styling and a used one can be had for less than £20k

Just watch that it has the range extender if you intend to drive longer distances and not be worried about range anxiety.

Friend has bought one to replace a Honda CRV as urban runabout and loves it - he's doing some fairly serious miles in it too.

HPsauce 17th February 2016 06:40 PM

Friend of mine has an i3. Originally he had the pure electric one but BMW swapped it for a range-extender one when it didn't get anywhere near the predicted range.

Just to be clear, we're not really looking for hybrid/electric or a local/urban runabout so it doesn't suit in many ways. A standard A3 or A4 would be more like it, but we tried the e-Tron out of intrigue/interest.

HPsauce 20th February 2016 11:12 PM

The choices are narrowing down. Bear with me and don't mock (OK, I can take it if you do).
The serious contenders seem to be:
Volvo V40 Cross-country T5 (4WD) 250bhp petrol auto with lots of toys.
Jaguar XE Prestige (200bhp) or Portfolio (240bhp) RWD petrol auto with lots of toys.

I prefer the Jaguar because it's nicer inside and you can get S8-level toys (at a price) if you want them.
SWMBO prefers the Vulva because it's slightly shorter (easier to park?) and has a better "safety" image.

Both are 2.0L turbo engines. At corresponding specification/performance prices/tax/etc. are very similar. Anyone know much about either?

HPsauce 29th February 2016 01:03 PM

Just had a curve ball thrown in, and I'm not sure I can cope with this one. :Confused:

BMW 2-series Active Tourer. Seems to tick most of the boxes on paper, even has 4WD and hybrid options. Had a quick look round one this morning, not bad really (unlike the cramped 1-series).
Seems to be a better choice (for us) than the Audi A3 range and definitely nicer than Mercedes A-class. But would it count as heresy? :tuttut:

Singh 1st March 2016 08:04 PM

The A3 is the nicest of the A Class/1 Series IMHO, in the interest of fairness I've not spent much time behind the wheel of the A Class. Forget the e-tron, try a 1.4T 150PS Cylinder On Demand A3 along with the Merc and Bimmer.

I do really like the XE, though, most JLR products actually. +++

HPsauce 3rd March 2016 07:44 AM

If it was just my choice it would be a Jaguar XE or failing that an S3.

But I already have an S8 to potter around in that SWMBO dislikes driving, so she has a big input on this as she'll be driving it as much as me, often on her own.

I've not yet driven a 2-series, but I assume as it's front-wheel drive, it will have the predictable handling SWMBO is used to on the Focus. Or similar.

On the basis of what we've seen so far it's looking like she favours the BMW slightly over the Volvo V40. Not sure I care either way, maybe a slight Volvo preference, but the BMW maybe has more room in the back/boot as it's a bit taller? :Confused:

Haven't driven the BMW yet, only the Volvo (and Jaguar and A3).

Lee S 3rd March 2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 107633)
I've not yet driven a 2-series, but I assume as it's front-wheel drive, it will have the predictable handling SWMBO is used to on the Focus. Or similar.

Is it FWD? Have BMW EVER produced a FWD? Even the 1 series is RWD isn't it?

tintin 3rd March 2016 09:37 PM

They seem to be starting to move into FWD with this and the next 1 Series. I think they also did a FWD 2 door hatchback (3 series?) about a decade ago for a short while, but from memory it was pretty universally regarded as poor, by BMW standards.

HPsauce 4th March 2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 106888)
Volvo V40 Cross-country T5 (4WD) 250bhp petrol auto with lots of toys.

Had a good test drive on all types of roads today in one of these. Quite impressed and the ACC (radar, not camera) works well, with a neat little thumb toggle to adjust the "car gap" to your preference "on the fly".

Quite gentle at first but in Sport mode when the turbos kick in it's about as quick as the S8, 0-60 in 6 seconds. 6-speed auto, though presumably no match at high-speed cruising.
None of the instant grunt you get from a normally-aspirated V8 but more than adequate despite being only 2 litres. What's more, very easy to drive gently, which will suit SWMBO. ;)

HPsauce 6th March 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 107689)
Even the 1 series is RWD isn't it?

The current model is, but it's upcoming replacement will be FrontWD. The 2-series is definitely front, same platform as the Mini.

And, not to be outdone, while we are vacillating, my #2 son has ordered himself (and his new wife, with her agreement after a test drive) a new BMW M135i in Estoril Blue. Should arrive in about 6 weeks. Like this:
http://www.bimmerpost.com/storyimage...-2a2b-fe20.jpg

I need to get SWMBO into decision-making mode ASAP! :tuttut:

#2 son still has his 4.2 V8 S4 Avant. +++ But with a baby on the way, due this month, the car is staying.

(My daughter and her boyfriend are currently car-free but considering a Porsche of some sort)

They were almost all here for mothers day today, and all we talked about was cars! :ROFL:

HPsauce 18th March 2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 107833)
The 2-series is definitely front, same platform as the Mini.

Well front or optionally four (Xdrive) on "selected" engines to be precise. We had a test drive today, both of us had a go. Acceptable and added to the shortlist.
(Tip: if you buy a current BMW don't bother with Sports seats as the adjustable side bolsters are really just a nuisance but DEFINITELY have the optional lumbar support as they are pretty poor without it)

Down to a shortlist of three now, Volvo V40, BMW 2-series and Jaguar XE. SWMBO is having a drive in the Jag on Monday as she has only been a passenger in it so far.

Singh 21st March 2016 10:24 AM

The 2 series coupe is rear wheel drive, it's only that active tourer Citroen Picasso thingi that is front wheel drive. It's a sad day when BMW drop their naturally aspirated inline six, and start entairtaining front wheel drive. :(

HPsauce 21st March 2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 108698)
it's only that active tourer Citroen Picasso thingi that is front wheel drive.

Ah well, that's what we're looking at, didn't even look at the spec on the coupe. ;)

Amazing amount of misinformation from the salesman in the showroom though, he clearly new almost nothing about the whole 2-series range. And what he did say was largely flatly contradicted by the brochures/pricelist/website. :Confused:

Singh 21st March 2016 12:35 PM

Let me know what deal you get at BMW, I can probably beat it and put you in touch with a great salesman. +++

IT 21st March 2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 108702)
Amazing amount of misinformation from the salesman in the showroom though, he clearly new almost nothing about the whole 2-series range. And what he did say was largely flatly contradicted by the brochures/pricelist/website. :Confused:

I've always fancied a job as a new car salesman. I reckon I could lead most people into buying a high spec car through hours of boring accuracy alone. They'd buy all the options just to stop me talking so enthusiastically about 'em... :D

HPsauce 21st March 2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 108703)
Let me know what deal you get at BMW, I can probably beat it and put you in touch with a great salesman. +++

Thanks for that offer, Amar.
We haven't yet decided on a BMW, it's on a shortlist of 3 at present.
And we also have an inside contact (via family) that my son is using to buy his M135i.
But I'll definitely be in touch if we do choose one. :cool:

Singh 21st March 2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 108704)
I've always fancied a job as a new car salesman. I reckon I could lead most people into buying a high spec car through hours of boring accuracy alone. They'd buy all the options just to stop me talking so enthusiastically about 'em... :D

The only problem is, you don't want the customer to spec lots of options. You want to sell whatever is coming off the ship, or available that month. I've enjoyed speccing RS7's with ACC/Sports 'zosrt etc... that it otherwise wouldn't have had, and a customer who let me decide what to add onto his new Q7, I added about £10k's worth. Specc'ing the showroom cars is also lots of fun, but again, you've got to keep a view to selling them, and with £15k's worth of options, it's not always easy. :o

HP +++

HPsauce 21st March 2016 03:15 PM

Just wandering slightly away from the topic, but related to showroom cars...
We had a test drive in a 2-series the other day fitted with Sports seats but no lumbar support.
We both found them uncomfortable due to lack of lumbar support and SWMBO was also annoyed by the large side bolsters, the adjustment of which (in and out) seemed to be minimal and pointless by the way.

So we had a good look round the sizeable showroom, just to see what non-sports seats were like and how the lumbar adjustment worked for us. Observations:
Every single car, except one (an X5 IIRC), had a black interior - we prefer light ones but guess we're in a serious minority.
Almost all were so-called "M" trim/style with sports seats.
NOT A SINGLE ONE had the lumbar adjustment. :tuttut:

I guess "old farts" like us are not seen as BMW buyers, despite being able to pay "on the nail" for anything they had if we wanted it..... :rolleyes:
Or do they want you to buy on finance so that you roll it over to a newer model when the balloon payment is due? ;)

HPsauce 6th May 2016 08:27 AM

On Monday we're having a test drive in a BMW hybrid! BMW 225xe PHEV Active Tourer to be precise.

Obviously, being a demonstrator, it's a "Sport" model with the wrong seats but it's the driveability I'm interested in at this stage.

Rather different system to the A3 e-Tron in that the battery is only recharged "on the move" by regenerative braking or coasting, not sure how that will work on longer trips.
Otherwise they seem somewhat similar though the Audi has a bigger petrol engine.

sarg 6th May 2016 05:57 PM

Just for balance here, I've had multiple BMWs and would never not spec the sports seats. The squab of the standard seat is too short if you've over about 5'8", but that goes for most cars too

The sports seats in mine have all electric adjustable squab, bolsters and lumber

HPsauce 6th May 2016 06:07 PM

That's as maybe, but SWMBO (who is 5'4" on a good day) found the side supports just too intrusive, and she will be the main driver.
If we do buy a BMW it will have full electric memory seats with adjustable lumbar support (another option generally missing in the showroom).

HPsauce 9th May 2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 111660)
On Monday we're having a test drive in a BMW hybrid! BMW 225xe PHEV Active Tourer

Hmmmm well, neither fish nor fowl, we were both rather underwhelmed.

In "driving behaviour" terms it sits between the A3 e-tron and the Lexus CT200h, so overall we were not that happy with the driveability, though could live with it (e.g. if given one as a company car). It was pretty noticeable when the petrol engine kicked in and that itself was rather rough - definite vibrations noticeable though not much noise. And pulling out at junctions/roundabouts in electric mode just didn't feel confident.

And there were a few other niggles that we had noticed on a previous test drive of the normal petrol automatic. So I think it's off the list.

On a constructive note, SWMBO did get to try some non-sports seats in another car and thought they were OK, as did I. Actually fairly supportive.

I think if Audi did the A3 e-tron with electric memory seats we would probably buy one, but they don't. :-(
So I think it's down to V40 or XE now.......:argue:

tintin 23rd May 2016 01:59 PM

E-Golf upgrade...

http://electrek.co/2016/05/23/2017-v...ange/?pushup=1

HPsauce 30th June 2016 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 111851)
So I think it's down to V40 or XE now.......:argue:

Volvo V40 T5 Cross-country (auto, 4wd) arrived this morning. Note the adaptive cruise radar panel. :cool:

tonupkid 30th June 2016 09:24 PM

Phew! You can now relax having put behind you dealing with dealers who know less than nothing about their product, and enjoy the new (mean looking (in a good way)) toy +++

HPsauce 30th June 2016 10:41 PM

Thanks Nick, my preference was the XE but this is OK. :cool: