A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other marques (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unusual Skoda (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14051)

Audidothat 16th April 2018 11:38 AM

Unusual Skoda

1 Attachment(s)
Spotted a Skoda Superb TSI yesterday, it was the quad exhaust that caught my eye.

I must admit my knowledge of the Skoda model range is somewhat lacking but imagined it must have a VAG V6, V8 or W8 in it. After google research it turns out it is a 260bhp 3.6 V6, (maybe 4x4 as well) à la Passat 4motion.
Quite a rare car i’d imagine.

tonupkid 16th April 2018 12:59 PM

Interesting Skoda.
VW make a 2 litre petrol Passat that has quad exhausts. I'm trusting the service guy on the 2L bit. Strikes me it'd be more logically the V6, but in the absence of any details by the car in the VW showroom ........
Main dealers are the most astonishingly lazy sales people. You get more info on a packet of crisps than on a car being sold for tens of thousands of £'s.

MikkiJayne 16th April 2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 140313)
Main dealers are the most astonishingly lazy sales people. You get more info on a packet of crisps than on a car being sold for tens of thousands of £'s.

I recall back in the day being told that there was a VR6 Lupo coming from the factory.
Oh, you mean the '3 litre Lupo'?
Yeah thats it.
You mean the one with the 3 cylinder diesel engine that uses 3 litres of fuel per 100Km? :ROFL:

The Golf R is a 2.0 Turbo I think, and that has 4 tailpipes. Passat R perhaps, with the same engine?

moltuae 16th April 2018 01:22 PM

Skodas have come a long way since I was kid. They were down there with Ladas back in the day and were the butt of many jokes (in fact wasn't there a joke that compared a twin-exhaust Skoda to a wheelbarrow?).

Despite the fact they are now VAG cars, I still find it difficult to see past that badge. I think they should've dropped the Skoda name a long time ago, but then I suppose there are a lot of younger drivers now who have never known them as manufacturer of cheap and nasty cars.

tintin 16th April 2018 08:36 PM

Great cars, Skodas: if I was to buy another car, then I'd definitely buy a Skoda over an Audi these days: they're just as good, but less half the price, and without all the unnecessary Audi bling.

The Superb feels just like my S8 inside, and a lovely place to be - like this one for £8k +++

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=Petrol&page=1

moltuae 16th April 2018 09:00 PM

I'm sure they are great cars (now) and, under the skin, they're no doubt as good as their VW counterparts .... but they're just so dull and ugly. And those names!? .... Superb, Fab(-ia), Octavia (ugh, what were they thinking?) ... and then there was that one called Fellatio (or something like that).

tintin 16th April 2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 140323)
I'm sure they are great cars (now) and, under the skin, they're no doubt as good as their VW counterparts .... but they're just so dull and ugly. And those names!? .... Superb, Fab(-ia), Octavia (ugh, what were they thinking?) ... and then there was that one called Fellatio (or something like that).

Ah, but you forgot the Yeti and the Roomster ;)(https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/s...6.html#agal_11), both genuinely interesting and unusual cars. My worry is that they're slowing become little more than rebadged VWs, and costing more at the same time - e.g. the new Karoq and Kodiaq, neither of which I find very interesting

IT 16th April 2018 09:14 PM

Yes, rare Skoda indeedy. Stacks up alongside the r36 Passat and other rarities.

The Skoda brand is intentionally, and almost painfully separated from its sibling brands.

courtesy car at audi, includes insurance, and they don’t really care about fuel, but it will have some.

At vw, it’s insured, and likely on vapour.

At Skoda, you have to insure it yourself, fuel it yourself, and then wash your car after the service yourself.

No. Really.

Audi includes European wide breakdown cover, and a warning triangle. Vw, has UK wide breakdown and triangles are optional.

Etc etc.

You can buy a. Skoda, and it’s cheaper, but they do actually chip away at things. The plastics in Skoda are cheaper, intentionally. They will more easily mark than vw, whose plastics are inferior to Audi.

And given that we seem to be moving all too rapidly to a lease everything mentality when it comes to cars, and noting the higher residuals of the premium Audi, the Skoda likely makes even less sense these days .....:rolleyes:

tintin 16th April 2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 140326)
Yes, rare Skoda indeedy. Stacks up alongside the r36 Passat and other rarities.

The Skoda brand is intentionally, and almost painfully separated from its sibling brands.
courtesy car at audi, includes insurance, and they don’t really care about fuel, but it will have some.
At vw, it’s insured, and likely on vapour.
At Skoda, you have to insure it yourself, fuel it yourself, and then wash your car after the service yourself.
No. Really.
Audi includes European wide breakdown cover, and a warning triangle. Vw, has UK wide breakdown and triangles are optional.
Etc etc.
You can buy a. Skoda, and it’s cheaper, but they do actually chip away at things. The plastics in Skoda are cheaper, intentionally. They will more easily mark than vw, whose plastics are inferior to Audi.
And given that we seem to be moving all too rapidly to a lease everything mentality when it comes to cars, and noting the higher residuals of the premium Audi, the Skoda likely makes even less sense these days .....:rolleyes:

...and that's kind of my point Ian: nearly all of the things that you've mentioned are incidentals (for me, anyway... ;)): I don't expect to have to pay 50%+ more for a car brand just because they wash it after a service, fill up a courtesy car with fuel, give me a warning triangle, have a shinier showroom, offer me a latte/expresso instead of a Klix coffee etc.

IMHO, these things are just an excuse to get punters in this country to pay (a lot!) more for the perception of brand quality - and I'd argue that car buyers in the UK are more "image" and brand conscious than most other western countries (where the "premium" premium is less too! :D). I personally couldn't tell the difference between the leather/plastic in the last Superb that I sat in and my S8, and I'd rate my D2 interior quality against anything, really.

But these things are all down to perception and personal taste - if we all thought the same, then marketing people wouldn't have a job, and the world would be a less interesting place :roll eyes:

..and PS: your residuals logic is reversed if you buy second hand and pay cash...

IT 16th April 2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 140333)

I personally couldn't tell the difference between the leather/plastic in the last Superb that I sat in and my S8

Oooof. I’m struggling to let that one go.... ;-)...... especially, as you have a Tesla, which is the definition of unluxurious interior trimmings slapped together as an afterthought.... forgiven _almost_ entirely for it’s it technical (and pioneering) advances in automotive technology...... but still, this is a premium Audi forum right? ;-)