A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Instrument panel miles correction (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14150)

karlcossy 15th May 2018 04:52 PM

Instrument panel miles correction

CAN SOMEONE HELP CHANGED DASH WHEN I PUT ACC IN:mad: AND NEED TO MATCH MILES WITH OLD ONE AS DONT WANT SOMEONE MOANING WHEN I SELL IT ON

Davey Blueeyes 15th May 2018 07:29 PM

When you plug in VCDS, the first thing you need to do is turn your caps lock off :)

Beyond that, I cannot help, sorry!

IT 15th May 2018 07:36 PM

Officially, a cluster can only be rolled forward using vagcom to a new value if it has less than 100km on the mileage. Once past this, it becomes locked.

Unofficially, I believe it can be done, but i believe its a soldering iron job on the bench job. I'm not aware of anyone on this forum that has even proceeded past the 'how do i' stage and actually gone to effort of doing it properly.....

The A8 is a high value car, so they have done a decent job of making it quite hard to clock from what i read.....

snapdragon 15th May 2018 07:45 PM

When I put a 2008 wide DIS cluster in my 2006, it took quite a while to clock it forward. Eventually, a friend of an ex work colleague wanted to borrow my VCDS and in return I borrowed some hand held thing that could change the mileage via the OBD port.

Like this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGbHt6gvZm0
It took quite a few goes and required removing fuses, counting seconds, turning ign on and off and counting more seconds and putting fuse back and was quite complicated - it took me almost an hour of trying stuff and googling.

Still had one MOT with the very low mileage.
Attachment 18880

karlcossy 15th May 2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes (Post 141530)
When you plug in VCDS, the first thing you need to do is turn your caps lock off :)

Beyond that, I cannot help, sorry!

oops kids again i was shouting :)

karlcossy 15th May 2018 09:00 PM

did try on vcds but no luck kept saying error when putting figure in:Confused: so ill have to see my man to sort via obd

H-M3 16th May 2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlcossy (Post 141538)
did try on vcds but no luck kept saying error when putting figure in:Confused: so ill have to see my man to sort via obd

Something I will need to do too as I am in the process of changing cluster. PM Marcin on this forum as he did a detailed thread on this

H-M3 16th May 2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 141571)
This is something I could do. I just need the cluster. You could post it to me before you install it and I can :
Reset the mileage to what you want;
Or to virgin state and you use VCDS to alter it when you're ready - but you'll have only one change with VCDS with values over 100km's.

You'll then have CP to remove once installed.

Oh Wicked. Ps pm details👍🏼

IT 16th May 2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 141571)
This is something I could do. I just need the cluster. You could post it to me before you install it and I can :
Reset the mileage to what you want;
Or to virgin state and you use VCDS to alter it when you're ready - but you'll have only one change with VCDS with values over 100km's.

You'll then have CP to remove once installed.

Nice, and good to know.... +++

Any chance of back filling a few more of the technical details of whats involved ? Not looking to steal any business away from you, but as an IT guy, I find this quite interesting.. .+++

Somerandomguy 16th May 2018 09:21 PM

Dealer

I got mine corrected at the dealer when I changed my cluster- i had fitted it, but they wanted the original to check the mileage and I think they ended up winding it forward to the correct value. I was well over the 100k.