A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Common Faults (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Service (and repairs) time ... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13367)

moltuae 4th September 2017 07:56 AM

Thanks guys +++

tintin 4th September 2017 09:03 AM

Hope it all goes smoothly Mark, you've reminded me that I probably need to book mine in soon too...:rolleyes:

MikkiJayne 4th September 2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 132071)
I assume that the seat and numerous bits of trim need to be removed to get to it (without resorting to slashing the carpet open)?

Correct. If memory serves, you can get to it with just the seat and sill trim removed. It sits in a little recess in the sound deadening foam under the carpet. Its a sealed unit so if the connector is free of corrosion it just needs replacing. I suspect A8parts have plenty of them these days. The one I replaced was about 6 months before A8parts opened!

moltuae 12th September 2017 03:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's going into the garage tomorrow so I've picked up a spare lateral acceleration sensor (from our forum sponsors), part number 4D0907651. Do I have the right one (for a 2002 S8)?:

Attachment 16988

I figured it would be better to have a spare one ready to swap in case it turns out not to be a connection issue.

I've been trying to find some information to give to the garage but all I've found so far is page 156 of the attached pdf, which appears to describe different (earlier?) sensors.

Does anyone have any info related to accessing/replacing the sensor I have?

27litres 30th September 2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 132066)
I guess the ultimate solution is a front brake upgrade lol.

There is a simple upgrade solution for S8's that is bolt on from what I've read and replaces the Bembos with an OEM 4 pot caliper - D3 360mm discs and calipers.
Min wheel size is 18", not that that's a problem for S8's...

MikkiJayne 30th September 2017 07:32 AM

That only works on the non-Brembo setup as the D3 calipers are axial mount. The D2 Brembos are radial mount so have different uprights to suit. You could of course swap the S8 radial uprights for A8 axial ones, then it would work :)

David's8 30th September 2017 07:57 PM

Don't forget mark, if ll else fails i am always waiting for a good donor car:p

IT 30th September 2017 10:14 PM

The only rev related noise I ever suffered on my D2 was the a/c compressor.....

Really easy to test, just put it in Eco or switch off the climate control and see if it goes away.....

I had 2 brand new compressors on the same car for that fault...... The new one failed again after about 12 months and got swapped under parts warranty...

moltuae 1st October 2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 133145)
The only rev related noise I ever suffered on my D2 was the a/c compressor.....

Really easy to test, just put it in Eco or switch off the climate control and see if it goes away.....

Tried that. It made no difference. In fact I tend to drive in Eco mode most of the time, to save a few extra horses. I usually only run the a/c compressor occasionally, except in very warm weather.

To give an update: It's actually turned into yet another big expensive job. If I add up the bills in my ownership of this car, I bet it's not far off the price of a brand new S8 now.

The garage ended up stripping the front end right back to the timing belt again, which was replaced just last year. They noticed it was loose for some reason, so stripped back to investigate. So It's having another new timing belt, and all the associated tensioners, pulleys, etc again. And while they're in there, they're pretty much replacing anything that hasn't yet been replaced, with brand new genuine (ie 'bloody expensive') parts, including the alternator and PS pump.

Still waiting for the PS pump, which has been on back-order for over a week, so that may have to be replaced separately later. I've asked them to get the car ready for me for early next week because I'm driving up to Glasgow next week because I'm booked in for my annual transmission service (to preserve the warranty on the rebuild they did on it last year). Speaking of which, I'm slightly disappointed in Mackies. I booked the car in months ago and asked them to reserve the courtesy car for me because we were booking a couple of nights in Troon (to make the trip into a mini-break) and would need a vehicle to get there. When I phoned them this week to make sure everything was still on I was told the courtesy car "might" be available. :rolleyes: Can anyone recommend a good car hire place in Glasgow if it's not?

Oh, and the brake calipers ..... despite the garage's best attempts at reviving them, they needed to be replaced or refurbished. Since I needed the car back urgently, I decided to replace them with genuine new calipers (a whopping £500 per side, inc labour). I'll probably send the old ones away for refurbishing and either sell them, to recover some of the cost, or keep them as spares.

Oh, yeah, and turns out the rad had some damage too .... that was another £500 (genuine).

I'm just glad this is car is my 'company vehicle' and that this is all tax deductible. On numerous occasions I've considered getting a second vehicle for work purposes. Lucky I didn't get around to it yet ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 133140)
Don't forget mark, if ll else fails i am always waiting for a good donor car:p

Haha! Not a chance.

I've spent so much on this damn car now that it's going to have to be buried along side me!

:ROFL:

MikkiJayne 1st October 2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 133157)
The garage ended up stripping the front end right back to the timing belt again, which was replaced just last year. They noticed it was loose for some reason, so stripped back to investigate.

I have noticed that once the belt and most importantly the hydraulic tensioner have some miles on them they will often stop 'loose' but if you wind the engine round by hand it'll all tighten up nicely. I think that sometimes when engine stops the cylinder compression can rotate the crank back a little (like an air spring in one or more cylinders) which loosens the belt, but as soon as it turns back in the right direction all is well, and the tension is ok.