A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   IT, AV and other Tech (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   TalkTalk and TPLINK (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13230)

Conan_the_Librarian 19th July 2017 09:25 PM

TalkTalk and TPLINK

Arrrrgggghhhhh!

Just switched from BT to TalkTalk. I was using a TPLink VR900 modem router all set up with my home automation, security cameras, NAS, media server etc etc.

Got the talk talk router on d-day so plugged it in and I have broadband at the advertised speed.

But, I don't want to set it all up and it doesn't have all the features I want as does the VR900.

So a bit of research and I see that the VR900 is pre configure via the quick set up to connect to TalkTalk. I follow the process and all I get is 'not connected' check phone cable!

6 hours later and I've connected my VR900 to the talktalk router via its WAN port and using talktalk router as a modem and VR900 as router but i cant stream anything! No amazon music, no sonos radio etc. Its also untidy.

anyone got any ideas?

ainarssems 20th July 2017 05:25 AM

Maybe a silly question but did you enter your username and password on VR900?

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/setup-non-talktalk-router
https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/check-y...dband-password

moltuae 20th July 2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 130543)
6 hours later and I've connected my VR900 to the talktalk router via its WAN port and using talktalk router as a modem and VR900 as router but i cant stream anything! No amazon music, no sonos radio etc. Its also untidy.

anyone got any ideas?

That configuration isn't ideal because you're 'double NAT-ing' but it should work. I'm not familiar with TalkTalk routers, but you need to be looking for a DMZ setting. DMZ will allow data on all incoming ports to pass through to your TPLink router, effectively bypassing the TalkTalk router's firewall. There should be a way to designate a DMZ device, usually by Ethernet port number or by IP.

It should be possible to get the TPLink router working directly on the ADSL/VDSL line though, with the right broadband settings, username, password, etc.

HPsauce 20th July 2017 07:18 AM

I'm with Ainars on this, having set up plenty of non-TT routers for TT clients.

There's nothing special about their setup, it's pretty vanilla for a broadband supplier and getting the correct username and password is simple as those links Ainars posted explain.

I'd not use any automatic or wizard processes to set it up, unless there's no alternative, just enter the connection settings manually.

MikkiJayne 20th July 2017 08:05 AM

I use a TP-Link with Plusnet and I noticed that its automatic setup got some of the detail wrong (VPI/VCI I think) so it wouldn't connect. I wrote down all the settings from the original Plusnet router and set up the TP-Link manually and it worked fine after that :)

Conan_the_Librarian 20th July 2017 08:07 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The connection is VDSL not ADSL so no need for logon name or password when running VLAN.
I've read bother those posts.

I've set the the VR900 DMZ to bypass the TalkTalk router and switched off DHCP on the TalkTalk router using a fixed up on the VR900. The TalkTalk router should be acting as purley a modem but something is stopping me streaming!
What the VR900 tells me the phone line isn't connected is beyond me. It worked great with BT, not at all with TalkTalk even though I select TalkTalk VDSL in the quick set up, filled by Dynamic IP, etc........

ainarssems 20th July 2017 02:21 PM

If you are using TalkTalk router to connect there is no need for username/password as the authentication is built in to the router. I cannot help with some of the services not working with TT router and VR900 combo but VR900 should work on it's own if the correct settings including username and password are entered. I have used BT Openreach VDSL modem connected directly to PC in the past with BT, PlusNet and TT fibre broadband. With BT and Plusnet you just needed username but password could be blank or anything, for TT you need username and correct password to connect. I have Plusnet Hub waiting to be flashed with OpenWRT firmware and I intend to use with TT. I just haven't gotten round to flash it but I will try to get it done tomorrow or Saturday and can let you know how I get on.

Conan_the_Librarian 20th July 2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 130565)
If you are using TalkTalk router to connect there is no need for username/password as the authentication is built in to the router. I cannot help with some of the services not working with TT router and VR900 combo but VR900 should work on it's own if the correct settings including username and password are entered. I have used BT Openreach VDSL modem connected directly to PC in the past with BT, PlusNet and TT fibre broadband. With BT and Plusnet you just needed username but password could be blank or anything, for TT you need username and correct password to connect. I have Plusnet Hub waiting to be flashed with OpenWRT firmware and I intend to use with TT. I just haven't gotten round to flash it but I will try to get it done tomorrow or Saturday and can let you know how I get on.

+++

ainarssems 22nd July 2017 02:44 PM

Flashed OpenWRT/Lede to Plusnet hub and I cannot get it to connect to TalkTalk. I no longer have Openreach modem to try connecting directly with PC. It seems others have been having problems as well but I have not found a conclusive solution.:(