A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A8 / S8 Generic Posts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Go in the snow - an not connected; ESP (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8760)

Phil303 15th September 2014 02:35 PM

Go in the snow - an not connected; ESP

Two questions:

1) What are A8's like in the snow? Is there a noticeable advantage with the 4x4 or do the wide tyres make it a handful.

2) What difference does turning off the ESP make and in what situations would you want it off? What does it actually do?

mannyo 15th September 2014 02:42 PM

I had no issues getting around last year in the Snow we had in Dorset (in the D2 at the time), the 4x4 helped no end and the car got places easily where others were struggling.

I left ESP on and let it do its thing, as you can just mash the pedal into the carpet to get traction and the 4x4 and ESP will sort it out.

Conquistador 15th September 2014 02:53 PM

My A8 was brilliant in the snow. You could just sail past other German cars and even most 4x4s while letting the traction control system do its thing.

Turning ESP off may only help in deep fluffy snow, and if you want to have some fun in an empty car park +++

tersono 15th September 2014 02:56 PM

^^ this.

I live/work in the Surrey Hills. My route to work is up a series of narrow, winding, hilly roads - work is a large former farm house in the middle of nowhere. I remember one year (in my old D2) where I was the ONLY member of staff who managed to get in. Driving up the hill near my destination I came across a jumble of BMWs, Mercs and a white van. All of whom were stuck half-way up the hill. I stopped to help a couple of 'em out of the ditch, then got back in the car and continued cruising regally up the hill whilst the rest of 'em struggled back down in barely-controlled slides. I saw the word 'b*st**d on the lips of a guy still struggling with his 7 series.. :ROFL:

Now I have the D3, I just leave ESP on and let the car sort it out. Just stay away from deep floods - you only have the ground clearance of a regular car and floods are bad for your 8 mmmmkay? ;)

sarg 15th September 2014 03:14 PM

I'd recommend some caution and not getting over-confident.

The quattro system is indeed brilliant at finding traction on snow.

However, the brakes are the same useless pile of ABS vibrating rubbish as any other car when you try to stop again, and because you had the grip and traction to getting going faster, you're gonna need even more time to stop!

Having said all that, as long as you take care with your braking and steering, then for sure, the quattro A8 will get to places other cars can't.

I did take all this account when I bought the M3, but decided in the end that in the 2-3 days a year I might need 4wd I'd either stay at home or hire one +++

HPsauce 15th September 2014 03:16 PM

And to add to all that - get winter tyres, then you won't even notice the snow. +++
Lots of narrow roads and hills round me and they work wonders.

Mind you, back in the days of skinny tyres I never had problems at all.

Phil303 15th September 2014 05:04 PM

Sounds good. I only ask we now live on a hill so if/when we get snow I'm looking forward to it.

The question about ESP wasn't connected to the snow question btw. I genuinely want to know what it is/does and what difference does on or off make in regular driving?

tonupkid 15th September 2014 08:42 PM

I think of ESP as some jiggery pokey where the car will attempt to keep its self out of the scenery.
It has access to stuff you don't, like braking one wheel here to ensure traction elsewhere, in order to maintain direction of travel.
Having said that, on a track it can be dangerous to have the car trying to interpret your intentions, and getting it wrong.

The best place to find out what it does is on snow, with loads of space to slide into

IT 15th September 2014 08:47 PM

In simple terms.

ASR/Traction Control - Designed to prevent wheelspin

ESP/ Stabiity Control - Designed to keep you travelling in the direction you are steering basically.

Very different, yet overlapping systems.

Turn off ESP if you want to be able to go sideways..... Otherwise, just leave it on +++

Phil303 16th September 2014 09:05 AM

So if I want to parallel park into a tight gap I switch the ESP off and the car will move sideways into the gap? That's great - my wife will love that.