A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Fuel and Exhausts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   exhausts blowing white smoke (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5226)

m7757s 20th August 2012 09:57 PM

exhausts blowing white smoke

hi everyone,

is it normal to have white smoke coming out of the exhaust, ive got a 06 4.2 tdi and it only seems to come out of the left hand side exhaust. A lot ov people were looking, when stuck in traffic the other day, not sure if they were checking just how cool the a8 looks, or how cool i look in my shades:cool:, or the big plume off smoke and thinking what a tw*t. Please put my mind at rest, it seems to drive ok.

PsYcHe 21st August 2012 07:40 AM

Does it keep doing it when warmed up properly?

If so, could be a problem. Not sure on my TDI, but my 4.2 petrol used to take an age to stop producing steam of a morning.

47p2 21st August 2012 07:46 AM

Richard, it shouldn't produce steam at this time of the year though

Dezzy 21st August 2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m7757s (Post 44894)
hi everyone,

is it normal to have white smoke coming out of the exhaust, ive got a 06 4.2 tdi and it only seems to come out of the left hand side exhaust. A lot ov people were looking, when stuck in traffic the other day, not sure if they were checking just how cool the a8 looks, or how cool i look in my shades:cool:, or the big plume off smoke and thinking what a tw*t. Please put my mind at rest, it seems to drive ok.

Give it a sniff, see if it smells really oily or not

m7757s 21st August 2012 08:16 AM

it was warmed up well, it does'nt look like steam, could it be cheap desiel?, i dont want another problem, or i'll through the towel in, the compressor went a month ago then the dpf went, the wife is getting on my case saying its me or the car, so ive told her we'll have a trail seperation, untill she can work her problems out. Lol

Dezzy 21st August 2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m7757s (Post 44914)
it was warmed up well, it does'nt look like steam, could it be cheap desiel?, i dont want another problem, or i'll through the towel in, the compressor went a month ago then the dpf went, the wife is getting on my case saying its me or the car, so ive told her we'll have a trail seperation, untill she can work her problems out. Lol

Post a picture up i might take her off your hands, don't bother washing her or anything i'd like to see it as is. That way you can get the car sorted +++

ainarssems 21st August 2012 10:10 AM

If it was well warmed up and giving white smoke I am afraid it could be seals gone on turbo leaking oil in intake or exhaust. This could have been also reason why DPF got clogged. Is it smoking on the same side where DPF was replaced?

m7757s 21st August 2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 44919)
If it was well warmed up and giving white smoke on one side I am afraid it could be seals gone on turbo leaking oil in intake or exhaust. This could have been also reason why DPF got clogged.

it probally makes sense, it seems to do it on hard exeleration as well, this sounds expensive, any clue on how much?, or is there an easy fix? im based in germany would it be cheaper taking it to the stealers here? and what are the complications of keeping on driving it in the current condition? sorry for all the questions.

m7757s 21st August 2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 44915)
Post a picture up i might take her off your hands, don't bother washing her or anything i'd like to see it as is. That way you can get the car sorted +++

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ma...00079/8629424-

m7757s 21st August 2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 44913)
Give it a sniff, see if it smells really oily or not

yeah i think it does