A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Another MOT pass (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14408)

HPsauce 16th August 2018 12:31 PM

Another MOT pass

You never know what will happen when the rules change, but my trusty D2 sailed through again and has another almost 13 months of approval against it.
Just one advisory, one side the rear bake pads are wearing thin. But it's due a service anyway.

They struggled initially to get it through emissions, though I think the mechanic enjoyed revving the engine to get the cats warmed up.
Simple reason really, it's no distance from home, was absolutely chucking it down and the last few hundred yards were through really deeply flooded roads.

But once properly warmed up the lambda figure was spot on and HC and CO were zero. +++

Goran 16th August 2018 04:15 PM

Good to hear +++
My MOT is due now, I am struggling with the headlight issue really hoping I can get them adjusted so it passes.

pete-p 16th August 2018 04:52 PM

Very good +++

RICKY D 16th August 2018 05:48 PM

Good news - another year of happy motoring +++

My 8 also struggled to get through the last MOT emissions test.....then I remembered I don’t have cats :rolleyes:

HPsauce 16th August 2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 144464)
then I remembered I don’t have cats :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that a "good" S8 engine, properly warmed up, actually needs them anyway.

I ran for a few years with one rattly cat and when tested it was always spot on.
Eventually I had it replaced and it turned out that there was literally nothing inside it, apart from one loose lump of ceramic substrate. The rest had disintegrated and departed via the exhaust long ago!
And after that expensive exercise it was exactly the same, but quieter.....

MikkiJayne 16th August 2018 07:53 PM

I intend to test mine without cats over the winter to see what it does :)

RICKY D 16th August 2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 144467)
I'm not convinced that a "good" S8 engine, properly warmed up, actually needs them anyway.

Mine must be a bad one then :ROFL:

I won’t repeat exactly what my mate said, but it was something along the lines of your emission readings are “ducked” :D

Conan_the_Librarian 17th August 2018 07:53 AM

Don't the Construction and Use Regulations require cars constructed after the early 90s to have catalytic converters?

HPsauce 17th August 2018 08:22 AM

More likely worded in such a way that a certain emissions target has to be met. After all Teslas don't have them......

lebesset 17th August 2018 01:15 PM

[quote=Conan_the_Librarian;144480]Don't the Construction and Use Regulations require cars constructed after the early 90s to have catalytic converters?[/QUOTE

my understanding exactly , something like 1992

but with a proviso....when fitted with cats as OE