A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Keyless entry and start non functional (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14730)

mannyo 2nd February 2019 01:36 PM

Keyless entry issues

Hi all

As some know, I have owned my 2004 D3 3.7 for more than 5 years now and it is currently for sale due to lack of use and me being unemployed shortly.

Does this sound like a problem with the key battery.

homer simpson 2nd February 2019 04:39 PM

Do you have a spare key you can try?

steamship 2nd February 2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 147846)
Where can I find the module, to check the connections. If it is not the connections, I will have to sell the car in its current state with non operational keyless system as I cannot currently afford to replace anything.

Plus the right rear parking sensor has decided to not like the cold and damp, but thats for another post.

Check out 53-SSP 287 Audi A8 03 - Electrical Components.pdf from page 78. It's the J518 module, which according to the document is located in the drivers footwell. The illustration on page 80 gives a better understanding, but because ours are RHD, it will be in the passenger footwell.

As for the parking sensor, I know you can remove the outer rear parking sensors without taking the bumper off. I know getting a colour-coded one would be ideal, but since you're selling it, a cheaper option would be buying one off eBay. I replaced one of mine recently with one I purchased almost two years ago (£23.00 for 4). It's black on a blue car, which isn't too bad, but since one faulty sensor disables the entire system, I'd rather sell the car with a working system and a black sensor than buying a very expensive coloured one, especially if funds are tight.

mannyo 3rd February 2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 147848)
Do you have a spare key you can try?

No spare key, the car came with just the one and I never got around to getting a replacement. These advanced keys seem pretty expensive.

I am trying the good old turn it off and on again approach at the moment. The car has the battery disconnected right now, sort of hoping that restarting the module may fix it. (I can live in hope)

briang9 3rd February 2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 147854)

As for the parking sensor, I know you can remove the outer rear parking sensors without taking the bumper off. I know getting a colour-coded one would be ideal, but since you're selling it, a cheaper option would be buying one off eBay. I replaced one of mine recently with one I purchased almost two years ago (£23.00 for 4). It's black on a blue car, which isn't too bad, but since one faulty sensor disables the entire system, I'd rather sell the car with a working system and a black sensor than buying a very expensive coloured one, especially if funds are tight.

Or you could do what I did and get a rattle can and paint it youself +++

steamship 3rd February 2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 147871)
Or you could do what I did and get a rattle can and paint it youself +++

No one will notice mine under all the dirt! :D

mannyo 3rd February 2019 03:52 PM

A disconnect and battery reconnect has not solved the problem, maybe it will start working again once it's warmed up outside.

PsYcHe 3rd February 2019 07:25 PM

With all the snow and stuff recently.. Check how dry the carpets are. My 2003 had an issue with water ingress that caused similar issues.

Architex_mA8tey 4th February 2019 08:54 AM

Hi Manny

I would also give the battery a full charge as a lot of things on a D3 stop working properly if the battery isnt fully charged when you come to use them, worth a try at least?

You could also try the procedure to re-pair the key as it may not be reading the key any more since the battery went flat and need re-pairing?

Best of luck job hunting, having been made redundant myself from two jobs in a row I totally understand how worrying and frustrating it is trying to find something that suits - so keep your chin up and good luck +++

Delboy 5th February 2019 05:06 PM

How does the start behave when you use the key in the ignition barrel?

Also try the start button with key in there?

I had nonsense like this before from mine, can't remember what got it going but is was without needing vcds.