A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   can some one please help me with a squeak ? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4418)

daviesbike 17th March 2012 07:57 AM

can some one please help me with a squeak ?

I have a loud squeak from the passenger side of the car it seems to be prominent when turning right hand corners at low speeds when i turn left there is no noise, could it be a dry top mount of some thing ? im not very good with the D3 as i have only had it just over a week, but the car is so quiet that you can hear it instantly and its a pain in the ass because the car is so quiet apart from that ? not very familiar with the air ride

any help would be great +++

Architex_mA8tey 17th March 2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daviesbike (Post 36755)
I have a loud squeak from the passenger side of the car it seems to be prominent when turning right hand corners at low speeds when i turn left there is no noise, could it be a dry top mount of some thing ? im not very good with the D3 as i have only had it just over a week, but the car is so quiet that you can hear it instantly and its a pain in the ass because the car is so quiet apart from that ? not very familiar with the air ride

any help would be great +++

sounds like it might be one of the front suspension joints Guy yes, unless its your missus squealing in fright at the the speed of the new car :D

47p2 17th March 2012 08:09 AM

Bottom balljoints would be the first thing to check, although it could be any one of the many joints these vehicles have

david@a8parts 17th March 2012 08:11 AM

I would agree - I had the same problem, squeeking from the front end at low speed either turning or going over speed bumps etc - I replaced all my suspension arms and to my surprise one of the rubber bushes had completely detached itself from the arm and the aluminium of the arm was rubbing on the mounting point - the arm was a good deal skinnier than it should have been ! Needless to say the squeeks went away and it felt a lot tighter. The W12 is a heavy beast so I guess its going to chew through suspension bits quicker than the rest.

Architex_mA8tey 17th March 2012 09:57 AM

Did the car come with any Warranty when you bought it Guy? might be worth trying to get the suspension covered by that if it did ?

daviesbike 17th March 2012 06:47 PM

yes i have a 6 month warranty with the car and in fact it is going in to Unit 20 on monday morning for a new drive shaft oil seal and a power steering banjo bolt, all payed for under warranty of course,
just being fussy that there was a little bit of oil around the driverside drive shaft where it enters the diff so better safe than sorry, any fluids leaking of any magnitude are a No no in my book
while its there i will get them to have a look at the squeak for me and see if they can find anything,
its only there when the car is warm witch is strange when its cold first thing in the morning there is nothing at all its quiet ?

Architex_mA8tey 17th March 2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daviesbike (Post 36822)
its only there when the car is warm witch is strange when its cold first thing in the morning there is nothing at all its quiet ?

That's quite typical of suspension bushes to do that

daviesbike 17th March 2012 06:56 PM

Ah i see, so would that be just a standard joint then or would that be top mount or what ?

Godders 19th March 2012 08:21 PM

Just an update, Guy came over to mine on the way to Unit 20 today and we found the source of the squeak - split gaiter on the N/S track rod end and the joint is knackered. We filled with grease and all is quiet but Guy will be replacing it when he can.

Managed to get his cruise working, somehow his engine controller had had the cruise coded out (Coding II) but having checked the label file in VAGCOM we found the relevant coding.

We had a great afternoon with Martin (grizz) whilst he sorted Guy's car and we made a 'discovery' about his car - I'll not spoil his thunder but you'll be surprised, and probably jealous, at his news +++

ainarssems 19th March 2012 08:33 PM

Guy mentioned something about exhaust valves so not knowing if W12 have them as stock my guess is that he has S8 active exhaust with valves + remap + possibly some other power enhancements .