A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   is there a guide on changing full suspention ? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3243)

daviesbike 3rd July 2011 12:40 PM

is there a guide on changing full suspention ?

just wandering as im going to tackle putting the S8 shocks and springs on i have them all set ready just need to swap out the complete units on the front and the shocks and springs on the back i have A8 retro fitting S8 srings ect ... ?
many thanks

daviesbike 4th July 2011 10:02 AM

is any one willing to help with this ? dont want to end up with the car sat on the drive with no springs lol im all for diy but if i cant find a guide or anything i will just pop it into the garage ;-)

IT 4th July 2011 10:44 AM

Should be a straight change over.... Just make sure you have some coil compressors to hand or you'll never be able to get them back in.... +++

Conan_the_Librarian 4th July 2011 12:52 PM

On the front it's quite easy if you have the springs mounted on the struts already. You can remove the 2 lock nuts that hold the strut into the top control arm carrier from inside the engione bay. Undo the nut and slide out the bolt from the lower control arm and you can jiggle the strut out and replace.

The after end can be a bit harder and a lot of typing so give me a call and I'll talk you through it. Did Chrisp17283 this morning and his whole front end on Saturday. Before anyone else says anything, yes we did get the rear lower control arms on the wrong way round!!!!! :o

ainarssems 5th July 2011 04:27 PM

Just remember that any bolts that go through rubber bushes need to be tightened when car is with wheels on ground and suspension in normal driving position

daviesbike 8th July 2011 04:37 PM

any reason why its embossed A8 on my new s8 springs and dampers ? or is that just the product line that it fits ?

might have a look on vagcat

Architex_mA8tey 8th July 2011 05:55 PM

I'll check mine that I took off when I swapped to coilovers - which are QS ones - and see whats on them (when it stops raining!!) :rolleyes:
The coilovers had "A8/S8" stamped on them if that helps

daviesbike 8th July 2011 08:28 PM

well i just payed for the S8 full set up had them about 3 weeks and not fitted them yet but just had a look today and its stamped A8 but they are red dampers with black springs for the front and the rears are blue but the set up on my car now are just all black ?

Conan_the_Librarian 8th July 2011 09:07 PM

Are they Audi origional? Have they got part numbers on them?

ainarssems 9th July 2011 02:24 AM

OEM parts normally do not have car model on them. The first part of part number shows chassis type this part was first used for like 4D0 or 8D0. A8 might refer to something totally different and be just a coincidence. I they are aftermarket parts then who knows.

In ETKA for example if we take 2000 A8/S8 there is no specific A8 or S8 parts but there are 9 different front shocks depending on engine size, chassis number and PR codes(suspension type and additional equipment)- 6 with normal suspension, 2 with sports and 1 for special armored vehicle. And there is 45 different front springs- 31 normal, 13 sports and 1 specially armored. And 6 different anti-roll bars. There are part numbers and color coding on shocks and color coding dots on springs to identify which is which.
On the rear there are 4 shocks, 28 springs and 7 anti-roll bars.
And that's excluding W12 models.