A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tyres... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=251)

Singh 9th February 2009 08:48 PM

Tyres...

I have just ordered myself some new tyres, a set of 245 45 18 Conti Sport Contacts for my original wheels to replace my Dunlop Sports, I have found the Dunlops to be quite noisy and hope the contis will sort this. I would be interested to know of anyone else's experiences with tyres, in terms of quietness, grip, wear etc... I hear Michelin Pilot Sports are good, run them on my BMW at the moment but cant really compare with another tyre on that car. Anyway so what have we all got?

Conan_the_Librarian 9th February 2009 09:02 PM

I ran a set of Cooper Zeons for 22k winter and summer. They also did a few circuits of Castle Combe. Had no problems with them and on sections of the M5 they were so quiet the only noise in the car was wind roar!
Tony has used them and got greater milage.

Currently got some Pirreli PZero Aysos on, came with the wheels. Happy with them as well although they are a bit noisier.

Next tyres will be a set of Falkens for the price and they have a good write up.

A8_Tony 9th February 2009 10:29 PM

My first set of Zeons did me for 45k, this was when i was doing my most mileage too +++

Included 2 track days, one at Castle Combe and one at Croft. Currently running my second set, which have already done twice as many laps of CC than the others did. At £112 for 255/35/20's they're a bargain too.

These are very good in the dry, and don't make me break into any form of perspiration liquid when driving in the wet either. Very impressed, can happily recommend them. Have heard good things about the Falken F452's as well though +++

Ska 10th February 2009 07:18 AM

I've found that P zero's tend to tram line when worn down but then I guess its time to change them by this time.

harpersimon 10th February 2009 03:21 PM

I had some bridgestones that made my wheel bearings sound shot!! horribly noisy, but not low pro or anything. Teach me to go with free I guess back then..

IT 10th February 2009 03:25 PM

The falkens are good, but I confess these days I'd just run whatever partworns I can lay my hands on +++

They're a fraction of the cost, and I've had no issues with em....

I cant ever justify forking out £400+ for a new set of rubber.... eek.

PsYcHe 10th February 2009 05:23 PM

Mine has Runway Enduro-916 (or something like that). They were horrendous fo rthe first 1k or so and are starting to get a bit worn now, but for most of the 30k or so they've been on the car, I can't complain.

AndyPandy 17th February 2009 03:05 PM

Tyres for sport models with 18" Alloys 245/45/ZR18

My experience with tyres has been

Dunlop 9000's unbelievably noisy not worth the money
Fulda Carrat Excellero (can only purchase mail order as far as I could find) Beat the Dunlops hands down , quieter, higher levels of grip and gave about 30K front 40K rear (to tread ware indicators) Many tyre dealers told me they are a budget tyre . THEY ARE NOT! can be found for about £150 mail order but previosly were only £125 guess it is the weak pound.
My recent experience has been Avon ZZ3's Now these look like they will be noisy but they are not, they are Michellin Primacy rivalling in quietness and can be found for £110 (online) to £150 fully fitted .

Hope you find this useful

Singh 17th February 2009 03:17 PM

Thanks for all your replies folks, just had my new conti sport contacts fitted (20 mins ago) got a drive to Leicester to look forward to now to try 'um out, will take it easy first to let them bed in +++

Conan_the_Librarian 17th February 2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyPandy (Post 1141)
My experience with tyres has been

Dunlop 9000's unbelievably noisy not worth the money
Fulda Carrat Excellero (can only purchase mail order as far as I could find) Beat the Dunlops hands down , quieter, higher levels of grip and gave about 30K front 40K rear (to tread ware indicators) Many tyre dealers told me they are a budget tyre . THEY ARE NOT! can be found for about £150 mail order but previosly were only £125 guess it is the weak pound.
My recent experience has been Avon ZZ3's Now these look like they will be noisy but they are not, they are Michellin Primacy rivalling in quietness and can be found for £110 (online) to £150 fully fitted .

Hope you find this useful

Welcome to the forum Andy. Want to post a hello and tell us about yourself in the Introductions section? Do you have an 8? We need pictures if you do as we like pictures of A/S 8s here. :) +++