A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Temperature gauge creeping past 90 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13135)

RICKY D 21st June 2017 03:34 PM

Temperature gauge creeping past 90

Whilst sitting in traffic coming back from church on Sunday I noticed the temperature gauge creep past 90 and settled at around 95 for quite some time before moving up to 100.

Is this normal? I've never seen this before as it's always been stuck on 90, but Sunday was ridiculously hot in London.....and I had the air conditioning on if that makes a difference?

A genuine thermostat was put on about 9 months ago along with timing belt etc etc, so that is probably OK.

The coolant was flushed and replaced the same time as the timing belt so that's ok too. Could the rad need replacing? The fan was also kicking in, but what temperature should it activate?

Do you think this is an issue or just the effect of the searing heat we're getting? Maybe some of you guys have the same with your 8's

David's8 21st June 2017 03:55 PM

The fan cuts in at 94degC iirc. Apart from the high ambient temps, given the work you have had done I cant see what may be causing the issue.

mattylondon 21st June 2017 03:56 PM

VW / Audi's will display a fixed 90c on the gauge when the actual coolant temp is between a range. So you can't tell the true temp from the instrument cluster. Have you VCDS or OBD11? These will be able to read the true coolant value.

I don't know at what temp the rad fans will kick in on the D2, but on a D3 it's 100c

Dezzy 21st June 2017 04:10 PM

Mine used to go over 90 when sat in traffic or slow moving when it was hot outside. Personally i wouldn't worry about it until it got to 120 and i'd be shutting it down on the mark between 120 and the red mark, if it wasn't starting to cool before that. I know others would play a lot safer and shut down before then.
I always used genuine coolant. Was it genuine coolant used when it was filled up?
Don't worry about the fan coming in, at least you know it's working and doing it's job.

RICKY D 21st June 2017 04:22 PM

OK, thanks for the reassurance chaps - I could just be panicking over nothing. It's certainly driving and behaving as normal.

The coolant was genuine Audi stuff so nice and pink :D

David's8 21st June 2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylondon (Post 129442)
VW / Audi's will display a fixed 90c on the gauge when the actual coolant temp is between a range. So you can't tell the true temp from the instrument cluster. Have you VCDS or OBD11? These will be able to read the true coolant value.

I don't know at what temp the rad fans will kick in on the D2, but on a D3 it's 100c

The D2 viscous fan is obviously always running but the electric fan cuts in at 94degC. I had an overheating issue a few months back and sat and watched the displayed temp and noted when the fan cut in. Later I monitored with VCDS which, as stated, is a very useful tools here and there was a reasonable alingnment with the displayed temp. The 'stat should start opening at apprx 87DegC and be fully pen at 102degC.

Goran 21st June 2017 06:35 PM

I am having the same issue. Although I have a known bad coolant temp sensor, so that could be it in my case.
I thought the viscous fan needs to engage at certain temp? Its always idling but not full force until the clutch engages. I remember there was a simple check to test it, if you can stop it with a pen then the clutch hasnt engaged.

Just to add, from experiences with my previous S8 it should not overheat even in really hot weather. I took that one all over Europe, down to Morocco, and to central Spain when temps were over 40C, the gauge never went past 90. So to my mind something is not quite right with my current 8

moltuae 21st June 2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 129457)
I remember there was a simple check to test it, if you can stop it with a pen then the clutch hasnt engaged.

And if it takes your hand off it's working :lol:

Couldn't you test it just as easily (but perhaps a little more safely) without the engine running? If the engine/coupling is hot, I would imagine the fan should be difficult to turn, should it not?

David's8 21st June 2017 07:51 PM

Well, everyday is a learning day. I hadnt appreciated the potential issues with viscous fans and the temperature sensitive clutch engagement mechanism. I found this article helpful:
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/pe...an-clutch.html
The failure of the viscous fan mechanism could be your issue.

RICKY D 21st June 2017 08:29 PM

On my last 8 I knew the viscous fan was gone because it sounded like an old Mitsubishi shogun when up to temp and constantly runnIng.

I plugged in the my OBD11 dongle earlier and cycled through the sub menus. I didn't realise there was something for coolant temps :rolleyes:

anyway on idle and up to temp, the gauge indicated 90 degrees but was actually 99 degrees according to the app. When driving the gauge remained at 90 but the app indicated the car was running between 103 to 104 degrees. It spiked at 105 but then went down to 104 again. The whole time the gauge remained at 90 :Confused: