A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Timing Chain or Belt? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16794)

Sinner2004 9th October 2022 01:00 PM

Timing Chain or Belt?

Hi All,

I'm looking at doing the timing belt on my new purchase but I'm getting conflicting answers as some say its belt driven and others are saying its a chain? does anyone know which it is thanks?

MikkiJayne 9th October 2022 01:56 PM

Timing belt.

It does have chains driving the inlet cams from the exhaust cams but they're not a service item on the 32V engine.

Finding parts for the 32V is a significant challenge these days, with the tensioner roller being pretty much unobtanium. The FB groups are probably your best bet as new old-stock items turn up from time to time.

You need the cam and crank locking tools to hold the engine in time while you set the belt - Prestige (A8parts) have these which they rent out. You also need a replacement crank sprocket bolt and a ginormous torque wrench which can do some 400Nm. I borrow a five-foot-long 1" drive beast of a thing from the local tractor workshop!

HPsauce 9th October 2022 01:58 PM

Almost everyone with a D2 knows it's a belt, though there are chains further inside the engine.
And there's a load of other jobs best done at the same time as changing the belt(s), but I'll let the experts list them, I only pay for others to do them on my car.... :ROFL:

Edit: "I'll get my coat". Resident expert was typing at the same time. :D

Sinner2004 9th October 2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 170787)
Timing belt.

It does have chains driving the inlet cams from the exhaust cams but they're not a service item on the 32V engine.

Finding parts for the 32V is a significant challenge these days, with the tensioner roller being pretty much unobtanium. The FB groups are probably your best bet as new old-stock items turn up from time to time.

You need the cam and crank locking tools to hold the engine in time while you set the belt - Prestige (A8parts) have these which they rent out. You also need a replacement crank sprocket bolt and a ginormous torque wrench which can do some 400Nm. I borrow a five-foot-long 1" drive beast of a thing from the local tractor workshop!

Ah right ok so I haven't got to worry about the chains just the belt. Wow that's some torque I'll have to see if my local garage has one big enough for the job lol, it's a shame that most of the parts are so hard to get as really was want to get this old girl back on the road soon

Sinner2004 9th October 2022 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 170788)
Almost everyone with a D2 knows it's a belt, though there are chains further inside the engine.
And there's a load of other jobs best done at the same time as changing the belt(s), but I'll let the experts list them, I only pay for others to do them on my car.... :ROFL:

Edit: "I'll get my coat". Resident expert was typing at the same time. :D

Yes must admit new to the whole Audi world as I'm a Landover man normally, I have read that it's best to do the oil cooler pipe and seal while the front of the car is off as apparently makes it a bit easier. Would be interesting to see what a garage would charge to do the job

MikkiJayne 9th October 2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinner2004 (Post 170790)
I have read that it's best to do the oil cooler pipe and seal while the front of the car is off as apparently makes it a bit easier. Would be interesting to see what a garage would charge to do the job

It makes a thoroughly horrid job about 10% less horrid, mostly because its easy to take the alternator off with the front end off. Normally I just take the engine out :D

The best advice I have for doing this job in the car is to buy a few sacrificial but good quality 8mm allen keys which you can cut down to the appropriate length for each bolt, as almost all of them are blocked by the chassis leg for virtually every combination of bits and extensions normally found in a toolbox. Also use a long extension bar or long centre punch to give each bolt a solid whack with a hammer before trying to remove them - this can help break the stiction in the threads so that they will come out without stripping. Do not use ball-end tools in them - they will snap or strip and then the engine has to come out to drill the heads off.

My standard quote for a timing belt on a car I've not seen before is 2 days, because the bumper bolts and front panel bolts can seize in place and make it quite an ordeal to get apart. If it all comes apart nicely then bonus, but if I haven't worked on the car before I'll assume its all seized and plan accordingly. The last one I did took 14 hours, in one day :eek3:
Add half a day to that for the oil cooler pipe.

Sinner2004 9th October 2022 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 170791)
It makes a thoroughly horrid job about 10% less horrid, mostly because its easy to take the alternator off with the front end off. Normally I just take the engine out :D

The best advice I have for doing this job in the car is to buy a few sacrificial but good quality 8mm allen keys which you can cut down to the appropriate length for each bolt, as almost all of them are blocked by the chassis leg for virtually every combination of bits and extensions normally found in a toolbox. Also use a long extension bar or long centre punch to give each bolt a solid whack with a hammer before trying to remove them - this can help break the stiction in the threads so that they will come out without stripping. Do not use ball-end tools in them - they will snap or strip and then the engine has to come out to drill the heads off.

My standard quote for a timing belt on a car I've not seen before is 2 days, because the bumper bolts and front panel bolts can seize in place and make it quite an ordeal to get apart. If it all comes apart nicely then bonus, but if I haven't worked on the car before I'll assume its all seized and plan accordingly. The last one I did took 14 hours, in one day :eek3:

Ah right ok, I'm not sure if I would trust a normal garage to tackle the job as seems very in-depth. Don't suppose your close to rugby are you lol.
How much would you charge to do the job? Including parts ?

sarg 10th October 2022 02:49 AM

Another Rugby resident huh? Where are you?

Sinner2004 10th October 2022 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarg (Post 170793)
Another Rugby resident huh? Where are you?

Yes live in Hillmorton

Spanker 10th October 2022 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 170791)
The last one I did took 14 hours, in one day :eek3:

Yes, but you did have me hindering you so you could probably have shaved a few hours off for that :)