A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Retrofit Bang & Olufsen (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13087)

Badassgermanlook 8th June 2017 01:31 PM

Retrofit Bang & Olufsen

Hi Chaps, I expect this has been asked a thousand times but is it possible to upgrade the S8 Stereo drivers amp etc to the B&O? or is there more to it IE wiring? :Confused:

IT 8th June 2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badassgermanlook (Post 128871)
Hi Chaps, I expect this has been asked a thousand times but is it possible to upgrade the S8 Stereo drivers amp etc to the B&O? or is there more to it IE wiring? :Confused:

Anything is possible, but retro fit B&O is quite a big job.

B&O has more speakers, so you'll need 4 new door cards for a starts to accommodate the mid ranges in the middle of door, along with a new parcel shelf for the speaker there.

The bose setup already has 3 dash speakers, but you need to install the two pop up ones and associated wiring for B&O also.

B&O also has 2 amps, not just the one, so you'll need quite a bit more wiring and bracketry in the boot cavity.

And then, when you've finished ripping the whole interior apart and putting back together, and you've removed component protection, you then have to pray nothing rattles or squeaks to ruin that B&O you just installed +++

As a guide, I've always considered the premium cars (A6, A7, Q7, A8) with B&O to be worth a good grand more 2nd hand that their ordinary counterparts as it'll probably cost you that in parts alone, before you start factoring in time and effort.

So: Do-able, most probably, but would definitely advise more cost effective and simpler to find a car with it fitted.....

Badassgermanlook 8th June 2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 128875)
Anything is possible, but retro fit B&O is quite a big job.

B&O has more speakers, so you'll need 4 new door cards for a starts to accommodate the mid ranges in the middle of door, along with a new parcel shelf for the speaker there.

The bose setup already has 3 dash speakers, but you need to install the two pop up ones and associated wiring for B&O also.

B&O also has 2 amps, not just the one, so you'll need quite a bit more wiring and bracketry in the boot cavity.

And then, when you've finished ripping the whole interior apart and putting back together, and you've removed component protection, you then have to pray nothing rattles or squeaks to ruin that B&O you just installed +++

As a guide, I've always considered the premium cars (A6, A7, Q7, A8) with B&O to be worth a good grand more 2nd hand that their ordinary counterparts as it'll probably cost you that in parts alone, before you start factoring in time and effort.

So: Do-able, most probably, but would definitely advise more cost effective and simpler to find a car with it fitted.....

Well as you put it so elequantly I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree! lol

I don't mind spending the extra bunce but the good ones are in short supply.
Thanks for the prompt response :D

Dubbs 27th July 2017 05:35 PM

Mine will probably be up for sale next year.... has B&O plus quite a few others bits (leccy blind, soft close doors and remote boot, fingerprint, massage seats, adaptive cruise, and so much more I'd spend quite a while having to remember it all!!)

In fact it's so good that as my first Audi and first A8 - right now I think I'd only sell to ensure I got another, newer - family love it too and that's going from a 65k Discovery 4 HSE Lux with everything on it to an A8 D3 4.2TDI with everything on it.

As a motorway muncher and fast A road motor I have to say it's utterly superb at what it does.

If only they knew how to make a decent cup holder! :ROFL:

homer simpson 27th July 2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubbs (Post 130858)
Mine will probably be up for sale next year.... has B&O plus quite a few others bits (leccy blind, soft close doors and remote boot, fingerprint, massage seats, adaptive cruise, and so much more I'd spend quite a while having to remember it all!!)

In fact it's so good that as my first Audi and first A8 - right now I think I'd only sell to ensure I got another, newer - family love it too and that's going from a 65k Discovery 4 HSE Lux with everything on it to an A8 D3 4.2TDI with everything on it.

As a motorway muncher and fast A road motor I have to say it's utterly superb at what it does.

I may be interested nearer the time, sounds like a very good spec!

Johnmed 27th July 2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubbs (Post 130858)

What is the deal with the awful cup holders?! My A2's were better (just).

P.S. Weljel of the 4.2 and B&O!

Dubbs 28th July 2017 11:49 AM

No idea why they're so bad but they give you one that's too small and the other too big - so either way you're running a risk of spillage.

If the spline/adjusters were a better design to grip the cup they may have worked better - then just make two the same size.

Never mind, better than nowt and it enhances your road craft to corner smoothly to not get a fresh American over your lap!:ROFL: