A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Perplexing indicator fault (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17000)

27litres 17th April 2023 04:12 AM

Perplexing indicator fault

G'day folks,

I have an interesting fault currently...
My indicators aren't working ("eh, who needs 'em, I'm an Audi Driver yo!").

However, I'm confused with fixing them.
As far as I can tell, the indicators and the hazards use the same relay in the relay panel (J2).
Well, the hazards work perfectly!

Intermittently, I can get the indicators to come on solidly (no flash), then last night on my way home from work (it was 2am, two turns to my street, just over a km distance - I chanced it) they actually flashed very slowly when I applied the brakes. Came off the brakes and they went back to solid (no flash).

Ok, so maybe it's the switch... I'm not convinced with that behaviour though. So how can I test the switch - with the ignition off, I turn the switch and the side parking lights come on, along with the interior buzzer. I tested this multiple times and it works every time.
So I don't think it's the switch.

Back to the relay then...

Any thoughts?

I'll give feedback if I solve it!

27litres 17th April 2023 04:58 AM

More confusion...

Where is "Passenger Compartment Relay Panel No.4"?
As that supposedly contains the "Turn Signal J1" and "Hazard Warning Light J2" relay/modules in the one housing at the R1 location.
Judging by other relays on the same panel (coolant fan speed control, horn, windows, sunroof, steering wheel), it would want to be reasonably easy to access.

Under the MDF panel, I can only identify Relay Panels 1, 2 and 3.
I cannot see No.4.

So I now have no idea where to find the indicator relay, except I'm thinking it's part of the hazard light switch similar to a B5, as that has a physical tapping (like a bi-metal strip) when the hazards are operating...

27litres 17th April 2023 05:40 AM

FFS...
Yeah ok, I found it.
"Passenger Compartment Relay Panel No.4"
Right up the left hand side behind the glovebox...
Access a PITA, but doable

27litres 17th April 2023 05:58 AM

Got the relay out.

It's wet.

Could this be a botangs hole issue?

Oh... And the hazards still work! Separate relay on FL cars, clearly!

MikkiJayne 17th April 2023 06:53 AM

Yes, botang's hole - it drips in to the indicator relay first, then down in to the relay box on to the folding mirror control unit.

Conan_the_Librarian 17th April 2023 06:58 AM

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the hazard light switch. My indicators would play all sorts of games eventually staying on solidly. If I operated the hazard switch they would flash as expected. If I knocked it off when the indicators were off then they would stay off until I used the indicator stalk then they would act up and eventually stay on! I replaced the hazard switch and now all is well.

27litres 17th April 2023 07:06 AM

I've temporarily replaced the indicator relay with a spare from the never starting project silver car.

They now work as expected!

I'll buy a new one, as I don't wish to cannibalise the silver car.

Now to patch up botangs hole...

How do I get at it?
Is it behind the left front strut tower?

The ECU and TCU are there aren't they?

MikkiJayne 17th April 2023 08:10 AM

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7645&page=2

27litres 17th April 2023 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 172754)

Thanks Michaela - I see it, just below that a/c pipe bend.
I expect it originally had one of those sticky covers over it Audi is so fond of!
I'll find some body sealer and fix it...

MikkiJayne 17th April 2023 08:46 AM

Yeah just a piece of fabric tape that they painted over :tuttut: Stick a plastic rivet in the hole and then seam sealer over the top. Its doable with the wiper scuttle trim removed and the ecu box still in place.