A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Trouble with cigarette lighter front socket tray help! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13904)

RS6 6th March 2018 09:44 PM

Trouble with cigarette lighter front socket tray help!

Last night i had my TomTom attached in the car as usual got to my destination no problems, and then on my return leg it lost power :( being the battery is no good on the tomtom it needs power, for some reason the cigarette lighter socket refused to work i tried and tried rotating the power socket everything pulling it in and out reseating it nothing... i managed to make it home using the cars built in sat nav luckly the area was mapped this time but i was not best pleased tbh! plus it was pouring with rain!

Made it home ok put the car on the driveway, before i switched off the engine i closed the cover again and tried it one last time, now its working fine for the tomtom, i then plugged in a snooper device with a power cable and it worked again! :Confused: thought maybe a fuse had blown but no

Does closing the cover reset the power to the socket on and off?, peering into the socket it looks rusty, how can i clean it up, disconnect the battery? or can i remove the whole tray out, my last attempt it started sparking when i tried to clean up the connections and i was doing it very gingerly meh!

HPsauce 6th March 2018 09:50 PM

They are a funny size, definitely non-standard, I've had problems with all sort of accessories.

MikkiJayne 6th March 2018 09:56 PM

There's no electronics or switching in there. Its just straight 12V power. The ashtray only comes out with the entire centre console out unfortunately - not a small job!

Can the cable reach the rear cig lighter at the back of the centre console? I find that one is much more reliable for charger connections, and the wires tuck down beside the seats so don't get in the way. Plus its rarely used for lighting cigarettes so its not usually as crusty as the front one.

HPsauce 6th March 2018 10:08 PM

You're right on reliability MJ, I always use that one to plug in my tyre pump.

moltuae 7th March 2018 09:06 AM

I tend to use the rear one too. If I recall correctly, the rear one is switched on/off by the red button in the driver's door (the one that also enables/disables the rear window buttons).

If the TomTom power cable won't reach, you could probably buy a longer one or a simple extension like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-C...w/162020896749

MikkiJayne 7th March 2018 09:23 AM

I didn't know that about the window switch! Very handy +++

moltuae 7th March 2018 09:52 AM

Wow, I knew something about 8s that you didn't know! That's gotta be a first (and probably last) :D

Actually, the button is black (I was thinking of the memory seat on/off button) but it definitely turns the socket on/off. I know this because I have my Steelmate TPMS Bluetooth receiver plugged into the rear socket most of the time, which illuminates when it gets power. Interestingly, that socket also powers up when you unlock the doors, presumably linked to the interior lighting.

HPsauce 7th March 2018 10:10 AM

Well I never, just tested it. :respekt: Never have kids in the back so don't use the window inhibit button, but see the logic on safety. :cool:

David's8 7th March 2018 01:58 PM

.. and you dont want them lighting up in the back wihen your back's turned. :ROFL:
PS. Mark , you must win a prize for knowing something MJ didnt.

steamship 7th March 2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 138644)
Well I never, just tested it. :respekt: Never have kids in the back so don't use the window inhibit button, but see the logic on safety. :cool:

So less than one hour for one of us to confirm what Mark had said :ROFL:

Well done to Mark for knowing something MJ didn't (a rare event), and Andrew for being the first to confirm it. +++

So, how long after the annual meet will someone post about their rear cigarette lighter not working anymore? Know anyone you want to annoy while they're not looking. ;);)