A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Upgrade Brakes? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14138)

North2007 12th May 2018 08:28 AM

Upgrade Brakes?

Team, Im looking to improve my pedal sensitivity. I dont believe my brake have a fault, just the automatic gearbox and overall design. After driving my sons A3 the A8 pedal softness is very obvious. Is there any merit in upgraging the servo or are all the 8s same? Or maybe swapping out the rubber flexi pipes to help improve the lack of sharpness? Im no expert, and would like to hear your thoughts/ experiences. Steve

snapdragon 12th May 2018 08:42 AM

Rubber flexi pipes is a good start and is cheap. It made a significant difference on my Passat as they must have been ballooning but I have only done the rears on the A8 so far which didn't make any difference.
They do get a bit soft with age and only about £7 each, but lots of part number variation, so be really sure you get the right length for your model/year.

North2007 12th May 2018 10:02 AM

I was thinking braided stainless steel :D

Architex_mA8tey 12th May 2018 11:28 AM

I would also change your whole brake fluid for new first before you do anything else and re-bleed. you are supposed to change it every 2-3 years as the properties lessen for best performance as it gets older and it may also make a difference to how the pedal feels +++

steamship 12th May 2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 141371)
I would also change your whole brake fluid for new first before you do anything else and re-bleed. you are supposed to change it every 2-3 years as the properties lessen for best performance as it gets older and it may also make a difference to how the pedal feels +++

Ever so slightly OT Neil, but do you notice a big difference in the braking between the D2 and D3? I changed my brake fluid on the D2 last month prior to the MOT and expected it to feel a bit sharper, but didn't notice anything. The brakes were obviously okay as the car sailed through the MOT. Maybe I'm not driving fast enough to notice. ;)

Just wondering if doing what North2007 suggests would help, with the braided stainless. Would also look better.

Architex_mA8tey 14th May 2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 141386)
Ever so slightly OT Neil, but do you notice a big difference in the braking between the D2 and D3? I changed my brake fluid on the D2 last month prior to the MOT and expected it to feel a bit sharper, but didn't notice anything. The brakes were obviously okay as the car sailed through the MOT. Maybe I'm not driving fast enough to notice. ;)

Its hard to say now really Sean, as I have upgraded the standard D2 brakes on mine to W12/S8/Bentley Big Boy brakes, I can definitely say that they are better than the standard D3 brakes! :D

steamship 14th May 2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 141462)
Its hard to say now really Sean, as I have upgraded the standard D2 brakes on mine to W12/S8/Bentley Big Boy brakes, I can definitely say that they are better than the standard D3 brakes! :D

I forgot you had those monsters on the D2.