A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Updating windscreen washer jets (D2) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14008)

HPsauce 4th April 2018 05:36 PM

Updating windscreen washer jets (D2)

The long discussion about upgrading D3 jets to either triple of fan variants made me think about the limitations of the D2 windscreen washer jets.
Has anyone ever tried to upgrade/improve them?

Years ago I upgraded my old (long gone) Ford Focus with fan jets which were much better, and thinking about them today I realised the originals were very similar in design to the D2 ones.

A quick rummage later and I found the originals I had replaced (why do I still have them? :Confused: ) and headed off to the garage to look at my spare scuttle cover.

The Ford jets click straight in to the rectangular mounting holes on the D2 scuttle panel. :D
They are a bit narrower but the fit is good and the direction/angle looks plausible when I check against my car. +++

Need to look at the wiring for the heated jets but that's going to be easy to transplant if the connectors are different. :cool:

Off now to search online for Fan jets for Ford Focus MkIII (or is it MkII?).

HPsauce 4th April 2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 139745)
Off now to search online for Fan jets for Ford Focus MkIII (or is it MkII?).

MkIII. £12.54 from AliExpress for a pair (heated). Not quite as cheap as the D3 ones.

Conan_the_Librarian 4th April 2018 07:17 PM

Link?

HPsauce 4th April 2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 139752)
Link?

Here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...845916670.html

The D2 wiring is much longer and has a different connector, so when I get them there will be work to do.

I'll also use a meter to check the resistance of both types (Ford and Audi) before committing to wiring in the heaters. ;)

David's8 4th April 2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 139753)
Here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...845916670.html

The D2 wiring is much longer and has a different connector, so when I get them there will be work to do.

Well, if Mike orders a few sets and you do the write up there would be some takers - me for one - at the annual meet no doubt (saves on postage ;) )

HPsauce 4th April 2018 07:46 PM

I'll probably just plug them in unheated to start with to check fitment/alignment etc.

That all should be pretty simple, though you need to remove the scuttle panel (and wiper arms first) to unclip the jets and swap the pipes over.
The Ford ones have a tiny lug on to align precisely so a corresponding tiny notch may be needed in the scuttle panel.

Probably won't be here for a few weeks; slow boat from China! :ROFL:

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 139754)
(saves on postage ;) )

Postage is "free", not sure if volume orders get a discount. Max 5 per customer at that price anyway.

steamship 4th April 2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 139754)
Well, if Mike orders a few sets and you do the write up there would be some takers - me for one - at the annual meet no doubt (saves on postage ;) )

Imagines Mike and Andrew standing next to a suitcase on a stand and a yellow three wheeler in the background - Get yer heated washer jets! A score for a pair. Get 'em while they're hot!

HPsauce 4th April 2018 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 139755)
The Ford ones have a tiny lug on to align precisely so a corresponding tiny notch may be needed in the scuttle panel.

Which you can see in this photo, comparing Audi and Ford (with leads) "standard" jets.

HPsauce 4th April 2018 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 139753)

And looking at this image (owned by our sponsors and posted on eBay) the connector isn't the standard VAG group type, it's longer and more symmetrical at the end.
Ideally I'd like to buy a couple of tails to graft onto the Ford-style jets, rather than cannibalise the existing. Anyone know the part number for it or it's mate?

steamship 5th April 2018 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 139761)
And looking at this image (owned by our sponsors and posted on eBay) the connector isn't the standard VAG group type, it's longer and more symmetrical at the end.
Ideally I'd like to buy a couple of tails to graft onto the Ford-style jets, rather than cannibalise the existing. Anyone know the part number for it or it's mate?

If I have read it properly, there isn't a part number for the connector attached to the cable in the photo. It's sold as a complete unit (4d0955988), but the connector at the other end is part number 8e0973202.

BTW The little itty bitty metal clips are part number 4d0955491a.