A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Common Faults (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Soft close micro switch repair (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13793)

Rick 31st January 2018 12:59 PM

Soft close micro switch repair

11 Attachment(s)
ok, bit of a write up on the micro switch repair.
I hope it is of some help to people.
Any questions feel free to ask if I have not covered something you want to know about.
first you obviously need to remove the door card, there are guides out there so I wont go over that one again.
next you need to pop out the 2 large rubber gromits and buzz down the window till the orange plastic is visable with the torx screws. ( need to plug the door card back in for this to work)
remove both screws and leave the window runners where they are or you will struggle to get the inner panel off without breaking something.
Next support the window in its closedl position somehow, suction cups didnt work for me so used tape.
next remove 12 torx screws from the inner panel, the 3 x8mm nuts that hold the soft close motor in place.
Push the 2 rubber gromits that both bowden cables are in through the panel.
remove the soft close motor and unclip from the back the plastic connector and pop off the ball end of the bowden cable ( this is obvious when you se it)
make sure all electrical connectors are popped off and any securing points on the panel for them are removed.
once all this is done you can take the inner panel off!
You have 2 x8mm multipoint (NOT TORX) screws you need to remove to get the latch out.
once they are off you have to remove a plastic cover, 2 points on it are sprung clipped to the main body, a small flathead will pry it open and the thrid point is a pointless plastic screw that i just murdered as it wasnt coming out for me, didnt appear to be needed on re-fit so i dont give a monkeys!
again dis connect any electrical connector and at the top of the latch is a separate connector that needs to come off, it has a bowden cable attached that goes up into the door for the manual key ( so you can lock and unlock the car if battery dead etc), just pop that off and the exterior door handle rod and you are good to get the latch on the bench.
I got the dremel out and cut out the section need for the soft close microswitch, gave it a push where those 2 small holes are and when it was in a position to do so pulled it out, on the other side of the micro switch its held in by a bit of sprung plastic so anything thin enough to wedge it should work ok.
cut the wires, offer up the new switch in same orientation as the old and seat it untill you hear it press/click, for my switch it needs to be pressed when fitted, it is on the release of the switch bar that my motor kicks in, so for me the connections were the right and middle spade.if you put a meter on, you want an open loop when the door lock is fully open, and you want it to make the electrical connection when the lock makes the first click as when the soft close should normally kick in, and it should keep that connection when door lock is fully closed.
so get the switch postion sorted, bit of solder and i used hot glue to hold everything in place. all back on my motor and so far so good. not sure how long these maplin (product code N96AQ) £2.29 micro switchs will last but no issue replacing them again if and when the do go.

Architex_mA8tey 31st January 2018 01:03 PM

Thanks for the write up - excellent!
I've added the link for this thread to the Common Faults stuck thread at the top of this section so that it can be easily found +++

Rick 31st January 2018 01:19 PM

Thank you.
I know this is one of those pain in the bum things we all have, and annoyingly no proper write up on it. Not saying mine is great but it should at least get guys heading in the right direction to sort the problem.

IT 31st January 2018 04:56 PM

Thanks for the write up Rick, much appreciated. It will become a popular reference I don't doubt +++

Rick 31st January 2018 05:33 PM

No problem.
I plan on doing a video when I do the passenger side which will hopefully help as well.

Delboy 31st January 2018 06:03 PM

Hope its gonna be a BBC documentary standard as my passenger door needs doing too +++ :ROFL:

Rick 31st January 2018 06:15 PM

Haha, yeah 4k ultra hd and some sexy dremel slow motion shots!!

Delboy 31st January 2018 07:21 PM

Sounds perfect, I await your upload eagerly.

http://media.giphy.com/media/u5BzptR1OTZ04/giphy.gif

H-M3 1st February 2018 01:01 AM

Sorry don’t have 4K yet+++

Rick 1st February 2018 06:16 AM

Come over, we can watch it on my Samsung 65 inch suhd telebox!! Get Del to bring his and we can do both at the same time!