A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Posting an interesting manual transmission conversion thread. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15775)

C4R 100N 14th July 2020 12:15 PM

Posting an interesting manual transmission conversion thread.

Click here for more information

I really admire the dedication demonstrated here!

Stromaluski 14th July 2020 01:43 PM

The owner just posted that over on Quattroworld. I bookmarked it to make sure I read through it later. +++

Stromaluski 14th July 2020 04:45 PM

Found this to be an interesting tid bit from that thread...

Quote:

But I did find that Energy Suspension 3.1108G GM TRANSMISSION MOUNT would work with some spacers.

MikkiJayne 14th July 2020 05:25 PM

Pricey things over here though. Cheaper to modify B5 mounts instead.

Stromaluski 14th July 2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 158575)
Pricey things over here though. Cheaper to modify B5 mounts instead.

More info on modifying B5 mounts? First I've heard of that.

MikkiJayne 14th July 2020 06:57 PM

Wolfinsheepsclothes did that for his manual swap, although he used an 0A3 gearbox and Skoda mounting brackets, but the principle is the same. They just need a riser fabricating which is two oval flanges and a tube in the middle to lift them up to D2 height. The advantage of this being that they are weighted properly for the 01E, and the height can be adjusted so the drivetrain sits level. Putting an 01E on the stock 5HP mounts means it sticks up at the back about 1/2" due to the huge weight difference.

On the manual I built I took the phenolic spacers off the top of the OE mounts which helped a little, but on the next one I will use the B5/C5 hydro mounts designed for the 01E, sitting on risers, then I can set the height to wherever I want. The risers are trivial to build with a CNC plasma and mig welder +++

Its a decent write-up from Alex actually. You guys are lucky to have so many C4s kicking about to donate parts (ie more than the none at all we have here!). I had to use a highly modified B6 shifter which was a bit of a pain, especially as I lost the drawings for it. I can get new OE front shafts, which is a bonus, but I can't get propshafts which you guys can get from Advanced Automotion (impractically expensive to ship them over here). Still, I have a few genuine manual propshafts stashed away which is all I need ;)

Stromaluski 14th July 2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 158580)
Wolfinsheepsclothes did that for his manual swap, although he used an 0A3 gearbox and Skoda mounting brackets, but the principle is the same. They just need a riser fabricating which is two oval flanges and a tube in the middle to lift them up to D2 height. The advantage of this being that they are weighted properly for the 01E, and the height can be adjusted so the drivetrain sits level. Putting an 01E on the stock 5HP mounts means it sticks up at the back about 1/2" due to the huge weight difference.

On the manual I built I took the phenolic spacers off the top of the OE mounts which helped a little, but on the next one I will use the B5/C5 hydro mounts designed for the 01E, sitting on risers, then I can set the height to wherever I want. The risers are trivial to build with a CNC plasma and mig welder +++

Its a decent write-up from Alex actually. You guys are lucky to have so many C4s kicking about to donate parts (ie more than the none at all we have here!). I had to use a highly modified B6 shifter which was a bit of a pain, especially as I lost the drawings for it. I can get new OE front shafts, which is a bonus, but I can't get propshafts which you guys can get from Advanced Automotion (impractically expensive to ship them over here). Still, I have a few genuine manual propshafts stashed away which is all I need ;)

I'll have to look up his thread!

And why would the stock mounts be an issue? Looks like D2s used the same transmission mounts whether they were auto or manual? Both are part number 4D0 399 151C?

MikkiJayne 14th July 2020 08:45 PM

You're right. Hmm. Checking Etka, it looks like only the autos have the phenolic spacers and I inadvertently stumbled on the factory difference without realising when I took them out for the manual :D

The 5 speed and 5HP19 use 151C and the 6 speed and 5HP24 use 151G, in which case I rescind my previous comments on using B5 / C5 mounts!

C4R 100N 16th July 2020 11:47 AM

First video documenting the swap has been posted. He goes over all of the parts that he has bought.
Very interesting!

craig 13th September 2020 11:21 AM

It's a great organized show I've been through it all so calming to watch