A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Sat Nav aerial (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9391)

Duffy 13th January 2015 01:59 PM

Sat Nav aerial

It's not my week.

My sat nav decided to throw a wobbler and decide it's a long way from where we'd appear to actually be (doing the whole looking out of the window thing).

VCDS is showing an open circuit to the aerial, anybody been here before before I try to access the aerial and wiring?

Thanks!

Adrian E 13th January 2015 02:37 PM

Two options - try to figure out whether the fault is the wiring to the boot mounted receiver, or the puck on the bootlid itself, or remove the sat nav unit and plug a GPS receiver into the back of the unit and stuff it somewhere behind the nav unit. If nothing else the latter rules out any headunit issues.

I gather water can sometimes get into the boot mounted puck, but more likely the wiring has got tired and is cracked somewhere around the boot lid

Duffy 13th January 2015 02:48 PM

It's a D4 with a roof mounted aerial and accessing the aerial without collateral damage on the trim looks challenging.

:)

Duffy 13th January 2015 03:16 PM

Spoke with my friendly Audi parts man, range wide problem with water penetration into roof mounted/external aerials rendering them useless. Spookily enough they easy to get from UK stock (he had 10 for A6's sitting on a shelf) £102 inc vat and postage so not an outrageous price.

Adrian E 13th January 2015 03:45 PM

D'oh! I replied assuming it was a D2 :o

IT 14th January 2015 02:03 PM

If its such a common issue on a car that's only a year out of warranty its a shame they don't show a bit of goodwill and get it sorted for you....

Duffy 14th January 2015 04:35 PM

You'd like to think so but I didn't get any vibe that that was on the table at all.....

I think if the dealer had seen the car previously I'd have been inclined to push it a bit.

Duffy 20th January 2015 01:28 PM

Did this today.

the back panel of the roof liner just pulls straight off and gives you limited access to the underside of the aerial. The aerial has 2 cables going into it and they have small tabs that pull downwards on the outer edge of the connectors and then they pull off. The aerial is held on by a T30 bolt and once you've undone that they aerial has 2 small black plastic tabs that need gently squeezed and it pops out.

The replacement comes unpainted, however the cover is held onto the base by 6 T6 bolts that once undone, allow the cover to come off and be swapped over.

Under the cover was soaking on my original aerial, I applied a thin coat of clear silicon to the cover edge before putting it onto the new aerial base.

£102 later and job done, sat nav now knows where it is.

Poor piece of design by Blaupunkt who make these aerials methinks

:)

Architex_mA8tey 20th January 2015 03:07 PM

nice work, well done! +++
Glad to know it can be got to if needs be as well. . .

mondie 11th January 2017 09:02 PM

Mine has just failed too so this thread is very handy thanks Duffy. The ACC and Audi braking guard have also disabled I assume because it uses Satnav positioning, anybody know? The ACC actually disabled when the brake pad low warning went off. Replacing pads and discs all round didn't clear this error so I can only assume its to do with the satnav.

Does anybody have the part number available please?

Cheers