A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Retrofitting a solar sun roof (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4769)

The_Laird 17th May 2012 08:55 AM

Retrofitting a solar sun roof

Is this possible? I talked to a sun roof company in East Kilbride and they said not. Lots of chat about the factory fit requiring a tool to bend the lip over the sun roof and welding. I'd like to get it done, but don't want to spend a fortune I can get hold of a solar roof fairly reasonably) and don't want to either leave a mess or a leaky roof.

IT 17th May 2012 09:00 AM

Yes, very do-able..... I've done at least half a dozen solar roof retrofits +++

PsYcHe 17th May 2012 09:03 AM

I think they're assuming you don't have a sunroof at all at the minute... It's a swap. Just some electrickery bits needed.

The_Laird 17th May 2012 09:29 AM

I told them that I already had a sun roof. Any recommendations for getting the job done?

PsYcHe 17th May 2012 09:31 AM

Depends how soon you want it done... If we have a write-up, pretty sure I could help you with it.

notorious 17th May 2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 40545)
Yes, very do-able..... I've done at least half a dozen solar roof retrofits +++

Hi Ian,

I wonder if we need to completely remove headliner from the car to do that? Or do we just drop headliner, so two people work from sides of the car to swap stuff?

Love the idear of solar sunroof, but my car is light silver color and I don't think black hatch will look pretty on light coloured car. So I'm undecided.

Thanks.

IT 17th May 2012 09:49 AM

Need to drop the linig at the front a little to route cables. No need to remove.

I'm intending to do a write up when I do tintins Final edition, which is never going to happen unless the weather would make its mind up.

I think its a cool (sorry bout the pun) addition to any 8. It works well with dark paints as it blends in, but with light colours its an awesome contrast and real talking point.

I'd have a solar roof over a solid one any day.... A glass one however is really nice, and more hassle to convert, so I'd be tempted to leave them as they are +++

Adrian E 17th May 2012 10:07 AM

I believe PF and fl solar roofs are different - not sure if the difference is enough to mean they're not interchangeable?

IT 17th May 2012 10:14 AM

Pre and post facelift are the same.

There was a revision in 2001 which saw a different panel with more solar cells on it, but the older one works just fine.....

HPsauce 17th May 2012 10:20 AM

Love my solar sunroof. :love:
Don't really notice the contrast as it's fairly reflective and my car is neither too light or too dark - agate grey.
But as you mostly see a car from the side you don't really ever see it anyway. :cool: