A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Some D4 questions... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15230)

madcjd 23rd September 2019 08:34 AM

Some D4 questions...

With my eyes firmly set on a D4 4.2tdi I have a few questions if anyone can help?

Do all the D4s have the phone mirroring capability- inc 2010 models?

Can you tell if a D4 has ACC from the outside (my current D3 has it and you can tell from the blocked off section, in the front grill, under the number plate).

If a D4 is equipped with a factory tow bar, does it fully (electrically) protrude at the touch of a button?

I have a 'wish list' option wise and I don't think I want a LWB version this time. I've had my D3 5 years now - a brilliant car that pulls like a train - hence the desire to stick with that powerful unit! Just feel the need to get something that is a bit newer and more advanced technology wise.

In anyone's opinion, are there any 'must haves'?

Cheers all.

paulrstaylor 23rd September 2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcjd (Post 152716)
With my eyes firmly set on a D4 4.2tdi I have a few questions if anyone can help?

Happy to try!

Quote:

Do all the D4s have the phone mirroring capability- inc 2010 models?

Not that I know of, I have driven D4s from 2010 to late 2016 models, non had a screen mirroring capability. Actually the phone/navigation technology was a little out of date in the later models, compared even to an A6 of the same era (2015-16). I don't think carplay/androidauto was even an option?

Quote:

Can you tell if a D4 has ACC from the outside (my current D3 has it and you can tell from the blocked off section, in the front grill, under the number plate).

Easy, two highly visible sensors on the front bumper - look like black fog lights

Quote:

If a D4 is equipped with a factory tow bar, does it fully (electrically) protrude at the touch of a button?

Yes, button is in the boot. I successfully retrofitted a factory bar from a breaker also, which worked in exactly the same way. There is a thread on here somewhere.

Quote:

I have a 'wish list' option wise and I don't think I want a LWB version this time. I've had my D3 5 years now - a brilliant car that pulls like a train - hence the desire to stick with that powerful unit! Just feel the need to get something that is a bit newer and more advanced technology wise.

In anyone's opinion, are there any 'must haves'?

Cheers all.

It all comes down to preferences, for me Adaptive Cruise control & massage seats rate highly. Buy on condition, not just toys, corrosion was certainly an issue on some of the early cars!!!

madcjd 23rd September 2019 12:09 PM

Many thanks!
I have heard of corrosion on early models in a previous conversation.....which I find a bit of shock.
It goes without saying that I'd get a car that has low ownership and in at least 'very good ' condition, besides looking for some nice 'toys', 😀.

Architex_mA8tey 23rd September 2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 152719)
Not that I know of, I have driven D4s from 2010 to late 2016 models, non had a screen mirroring capability. Actually the phone/navigation technology was a little out of date in the later models, compared even to an A6 of the same era (2015-16). I don't think carplay/androidauto was even an option?

My 2014 D4 A8L (FL Car) certainly seems to have some integration with Android Auto, not that I use it because the interface is horribly clunky and it annoys the hell out of me! **EDIT** No Scrub that sorry it was the D5 it connects to not the D4**

I did find these products -

https://rsnav.com/products/3g-mmi-3g...nt=43929174608

https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-s...Kit-p100582778

paulrstaylor 23rd September 2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcjd (Post 152723)
Many thanks!
I have heard of corrosion on early models in a previous conversation.....which I find a bit of shock.
It goes without saying that I'd get a car that has low ownership and in at least 'very good ' condition, besides looking for some nice 'toys', ��.

I was a little shocked also, but my D4 was a one owner Audi approved car that looked great, I just noticed a tiny bubble on the inside of the tailgate. The car was resprayed twice in two years, new doors fitted and a new boot lid....

My research suggested it could have been limited to a batch of early cars, there was a suggestion that a delay on the production line could have left them as bare metal for an extended period. I was very glad that it cost me nothing apart from inconvenience, but I guess lots were not or won’t be as lucky!

Suggest a fine tooth comb, every panel!

H-M3 23rd September 2019 09:43 PM

Sorry not to jack this thread. What are the 4.0tfsi engines like in real life mpg and running costs?
Ta

Architex_mA8tey 24th September 2019 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 152732)
Sorry not to jack this thread. What are the 4.0tfsi engines like in real life mpg and running costs?
Ta

Because of Cylinder shutdown technology when cruising I am getting 30-36 on longer journeys and an average of about 25 around town, and to be fair I'm not trying to save fuel, so I'm sure it can be bettered. being remapped soon so should increase power/torque but also benefit fuel consumption slightly as well - its an awesome engine and in the A8L is detuned slightly from the S8 plus has longer gearing. It gives out 435 bhp with full torque from 2000 up to 5300 rpm and you cant even feel the cylinder shutdown tcnology cutting in and out (clever computer controlled active engine mounts) :D

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1569312239

paulrstaylor 24th September 2019 03:27 PM

Which sounds fairly similar to the 4.2tdi, especially when unleaded is marginally cheaper. Sadly, not available outside of LWB and rare in any case....

madcjd 24th September 2019 03:57 PM

I was under the impression that the D4 4.2 tdi can achieve 45mpg (ish) on a motorway run? My current D3 4.2 tdi always averages approx 40mpg on its Lancashire to Heathrow run?
Well, I was hoping this would be the case anyhoo......

paulrstaylor 24th September 2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcjd (Post 152738)
I was under the impression that the D4 4.2 tdi can achieve 45mpg (ish) on a motorway run? My current D3 4.2 tdi always averages approx 40mpg on its Lancashire to Heathrow run?
Well, I was hoping this would be the case anyhoo......

To be fair, that is possible on a long run with a light foot and sticking to legal speeds.

But my overall average was probably early 30s MPG.