A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coronavirus..... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15584)

IT 18th March 2020 09:27 AM

Coronavirus.....

Well, its been an interesting few weeks to say the least, and no doubt we're not in the thick of it yet.

Some people are isolated, some self-isolated, and some (for now) cracking on as normal. Whatever normal used to be !

I'd like to extend my best wishes to our forum members and wish everyone a safe and healthy transition through to the other side on this thing.

Feel free to use the Daily banter section for some uplifting and enlightening posts to get us all a bit more jolly !

Interestingly, A8parts is seeing a slight upturn in demand at the moment, so we can only presume that whilst some people are stock piling loo roll and tins of beans, the auto community has chosen to stock pile car parts for projects whilst they are house bound :p

Stay safe everyone.

IT

tc4332 18th March 2020 10:04 AM

Nice one Ian.
I'm a little bit over 70 so everything seems to be at a standstill I can't do nothing, not in my nature, so busy work comes into play.
I have an annual news sheet to produce.
I need to install a replacement CCTV at home.
I have loads of work to do ready for when I actually start to build my model railway.
Oh, nearly forgot, I have an A8 to drive, self isolating in that is a very good possibility.

MikkiJayne 18th March 2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 156413)
Interestingly, A8parts is seeing a slight upturn in demand at the moment, so we can only presume that whilst some people are stock piling loo roll and tins of beans, the auto community has chosen to stock pile car parts for projects whilst they are house bound :p

I've seen this in a few car communities actually, even companies offering coronavirus discounts on parts so people have stuff to do while they're bored at home :ROFL:

I will be self-isolating in the workshop, so very little change to my normal routine there :D

Adrian E 18th March 2020 03:11 PM

I'm isolating from as many people as I can for the next week - due to go in for surgery middle of next week, and really, REALLY, don't want it to be cancelled or delayed by a poxy virus!

Our son is still at school for the moment - noises suggest they may close at the end of this week....like all kids he's a walking, talking, germ factory! He is singing happy birthday at least twice whilst attempting to speed wash his hands, bless him!

I'm probably going to be quite happy hanging out in hospital for a week or so post-op, just to avoid the lurgy :rolleyes:

IT 18th March 2020 03:36 PM

I had foot surgery a couple of weeks back. The irony is I went to great lengths to schedule it so I would be back up and walking again before I went to Chicago in May.... best laid plans eh ?

Hope all goes well with the op - I was day surgery thankfully - a week in there sounds quite intense....

Ricky22buk 18th March 2020 06:34 PM

Its certainly is strange and unnerving times. As everyday passes, another company goes into administration, another company closes its doors for the foreseeable. The schools are now closing which in turn will take parents out of work. Possibly 60% of the country live on a week to week basis with nothing in reserve...... what is going to happen to everyone in that position !!! Its scary times, and thats only taking the financial side into consideration, not the health side of things !!!!

I had intended to advertise my D4 S8 in the near future, probably coming up to Easter time, but I'm thinking that will be a totally pointless exercise for the foreseeable !!!!

Take care guys !!!!

steamship 19th March 2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky22buk (Post 156421)
Its certainly is strange and unnerving times.

With my mental health issues, I've been self-isolating for several years, so not much change for me!

On a more serious note, and especially here in NI, I am shocked at how this situation is playing out across the UK. We have a government that can't make a decision for the entire country to act in unison, but instead have four regions doing their own thing. Not a very 'United' Kingdom. :tuttut:

Even the issue with school closures is crazy. Watching news clips on the likes of the BBC website, the PM announces that all schools will close at the end of Friday. It then states in the article that it is immediate (Wednesday) for children , and then we have the muppets in Stormont who state the schools will close from Monday. The nation is looking for guidance, and this is what we have to deal with. :mad:

My concern is for those people who are more at risk, and how they are coping. As an example, my cousin is in her 70s, as is her husband. He is suffering from several ailments including cancer, and when I last met him at the end of December, he weighed only 7 stone. As such, they are both 'confined to barracks', and it has been impossible for them to get the likes of Paracetamol, something he needs to take four times a day. I had to go to 11 locations before I could get two packets for him, which is outrageous, because of people hording the stuff.

To anyone here that could be susceptible (directly or indirectly), stay safe and stay well.

Rant over.

HPsauce 19th March 2020 05:32 PM

Sean, it's well worth asking your cousin's GP to prescribe the painkillers he needs.
My late mother-in-law (who lived to 102 incidentally) needed to take industrial quantities of Paracetamol in her final years. It was all prescribed and delivered directly to her home until she moved into a care home.

As a result, because of the way repeat prescriptions work we ended up with a massive stock of the stuff, in bottles not blister packs, but it's slowly been used up over the years. Odd really as I personally never take the stuff for reasons I don't intend to explain …

If you can't get that sorted quickly look at online pharmacies. If you can't find one nearby there's a big one in the North of England that delivers by Royal Mail (so NI not a problem) called Weldricks https://www.weldricks.co.uk/ . I'm sure there are many others.

Keep safe.

PS My grandson (who was 4 yesterday but we couldn't go and see him :-( ) is at school in London and was definitely there today. His final day is tomorrow. It's called pre-school (sort of post-nursery), he should start "proper" school in September....

steamship 19th March 2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 156432)
Sean, it's well worth asking your cousin's GP to prescribe the painkillers he needs.

That's what surprised me, as their house is coming down with meds, and I thought they would have prescribed those as well. I'll speak with her in the next day or so on the phone and see what's what. Thanks for the link.

HPsauce 19th March 2020 09:34 PM

GPs will try to get you to buy over-the-counter stuff if you can as it saves their budgets money. Fair enough if you can afford it and are able to get it. In many cases it's actually cheaper too so nothing to complain about. But we're in strange times.....

It's a bit weird sometimes, I remember sitting with my GP some years ago discussing some medication that I have to take "forever" and querying why I'd been changed from a specific brand (which worked well) to a generic (which didn't due to the other ingredients being different) and we discovered they were all the same price!
The actual answer was inexplicable, but the end result was that my prescription was changed from the generic name of the drug to the specific brand, so since then I've had the one that works for me with minimal side effects. I think only one or two other patients in my area take the same stuff so the pharmacy were just doing what they'd been told - order by generic name if you can as it's usually cheaper. Stupidly it's not even an expensive drug, so the savings were probably at best going to be less than the effort involved and in this case zero!
Only slight problem I might have is that the branded stuff I take is mostly made in Spain (Barcelona!)... (though I do have several months supply)