A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   VCDS (aka Vagcom) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Alternative to VAGCOM? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10897)

ulfilias 27th April 2016 11:54 AM

The Dongle won't work with VAGCOM because the vagcom licencing won't let it and RossTech are very agressive at protecting their property which is why even the expensive (£50) clone cables only work with a fixed version of the software as every update they kill off any copy cables.

There's little point in having the ODB11 app working with a £300 cable and besides the ODB11 people want you to buy their bit of hardware as well as the pro licence.

Oh and DON'T leave the dongle in the car fitted all the time, use it and remove it to the glove box / ash tray when done.

Lee

johnny_quattro 8th May 2016 03:21 PM

My OBDeleven dongle arived yesterday

Installed it in my A8L today and spent a wonderful half hour going through codings etc. I now have the auto-door lock function enabled for the central locking. Previous value was 13130, to which I simply added the value of 32 to make it 13162. The feeling of satisfaction was immense, I'm sorry to say/admit. It also unlocks the doors on ignition off.

The app itself has revealed a few electrical maladies too, namely the usual flap motors for the climate control as well as spurious values from the rear headlight-levelling sensor.

I thoroughly recommend this OBDeleven dongle/app - my ELM237 OBDII blue dongle is no longer used.

Oodoom 12th August 2016 10:19 AM

Got myself an OBDeleven last week - Im a total A8 noob (only had my car a couple of weeks) and am no expert on VCDS so I cant compare the 2 very well, but so far Im rather pleased with it.

Id be grateful if anyone has any tips on how to use it, what coding tweaks can be made, etc, etc.

Does anyone know if the suspension height calibration (module 34 apparently) can be done with this unit?

One thing I will say is to echo what Moltuae and Ulfilias have said - once its in its a complete pig to get out! I chopped the ends off a cable tie and superglued it to the case to make a handle - much easier now.

gninnam 8th November 2016 07:16 PM

So - took the plunge and bought one as my airbag light came on and MOT due next week :)
I know why it came on but wanted to verify and then clear the fault - which it did so all good.

Will get to play with it a bit more over the coming weeks but so far - good for the price +++

ulfilias 11th November 2016 10:55 AM

Oodoom - Suspension height is quite complex, though in theory i can't see why it couldn't be done. You'd have to work through the ross tech stuff and use the code numbers documenting the proceedure etc as there isn't an "easy" follow through thing on the odb11 but I believe it's fully functional in what it does, so you can code anything in theory....Personally having done it, i'd be tempted with a hard coded ~£50 vagcom lead (you can only use the version of software it came with and upgrading kills the lead and it's a dodgy / risky (as in no support etc))....Or the full version!

RS6 22nd November 2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny_quattro (Post 111794)
Installed it in my A8L today and spent a wonderful half hour going through codings etc. I now have the auto-door lock function enabled for the central locking. Previous value was 13130, to which I simply added the value of 32 to make it 13162. The feeling of satisfaction was immense, I'm sorry to say/admit. It also unlocks the doors on ignition off.

The app itself has revealed a few electrical maladies too, namely the usual flap motors for the climate control as well as spurious values from the rear headlight-levelling sensor.

I thoroughly recommend this OBDeleven dongle/app - my ELM237 OBDII blue dongle is no longer used.

Sounds like you have also enabled anti hijack locks over 15mph and unlocks when key is removed

Should be able to code alarm cherp as well for doors lock +++

ulfilias 17th April 2018 10:48 AM

Hi There,

This is getting to be quite a useful tool, with lots of options and development going on.

Also found this youtube channel from the stateside distributor, while it's aimed at more average cars, there's a lot of info on how it works and so forth

https://www.youtube.com/user/Deutsch...able_polymer=1

ulfilias 5th September 2018 03:37 PM

Hi There,

Was just searching the net in regards to a Bosch ABS module flashing and came across someone recommending Carista - It's an app on Android and iPhone

Has a week £8.99 paid thing or Thirty something a year. However the Bluetooth dongle is only £19.99 *OR* and this is the bit that piqued my interest it works with ELM adaptors too.

I've an old VGATE bluetooth dongle which I used for Torque and a few other bits on my RX8 and if you've played with Car dongles in the last few years then you've probably got one and it's worth a play.

The Vgate one worked and it's a nice APP. There's three functions. Check Faults, Diagnose and Customise.
They're a bit slow as in a couple of minutes as it accesses each module and it doesn't really give you control like ODB11 or VCDS etc

However it read the fault codes. Got 44 for mine which seemed high compared with the other tools, but the they're locked in terms of obviscated numbers and clearing costs.

Customise gave things on lights, locking options (indicators, beep, double press(free)), Menu options and Nav eject - They were on / off options, nice dumb and easy to do rather than coding numbers or changing bits, which I see useful to people that VCDS scares. Also if you've got a dongle you can see what you have / can do without purchase

Service allowed you to reset the service indicators, there also seemed to be a readiness check and clear (free). There was a parking brake option, but it had lots of warnings and to be honest i'd probably grab something else. But it *MAY* be useful.

All in quite impressed for user interface and really low cost of entry.

https://caristaapp.com/

madcjd 23rd September 2018 08:47 AM

Hi.
I've read with interest your informative write ups on the 'obdeleven' and the 'carista'.
Did you buy the latter too?
I only use the laptop VCDS and, being a copy, it does crash out occasionally on my D3.

I was just about to go for the OBDELEVEN, until I saw your link to the $20 Bluetooth adapter.
Being an OBD numpty, I'm not familiar with the apps you've mentioned it works with, so does that mean you don't have to subscribe to their $40 per annum service (which to be fair isn't too costly)?

I confess to being an Apple sheep 'baaaaaaah'

Thanks, Chris

homer simpson 23rd September 2018 10:08 AM

I have not used Carista but have seen a lot of good comments about it.I don't think it can do as much as VCDS but is better than the cheap OBD adaptors.