A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bluetooth into Symphony II (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13520)

Spanker 15th October 2017 02:41 PM

Bluetooth into Symphony II

I've got a Symphony II (with BOSE) in my red car and now that I've just opted for a Spotify subscription, I want to get my Samsung Note 8 linked to the car stereo in the best possible way.

I would like to keep the stock look of the car so don't fancy any wires hanging about to charge the phone or take the sound from the headphone jack hence Bluetooth being the connection of choice.
In a perfect world, I'd like to upgrade to an RNS-E retrofit with a MFSW but the thought of the complexity (just read Ian's sticky on it) and cost of doing so have put me off. And I'm not impressed with the RNS-D in my blue car either so does anyone have any experience or suggestions on what I need to fit snugly behind the Symphony II to get me going?

I've looked on eBay and found some kit at around the £30-£40 mark but the listing(s) suggests that it's for the Symphony II with external CD changer - and mine takes the discs into the unit rather than a boot mounted unit.
I've also seen some other black boxes around £80ish, some at around £240ish(!) and then I also find in some threads a unit from XCarlink that I think is around £135.
Handsfree speakerphone for calls would be good (a discreet mic wouldn't be an issue) as would the ability to answer/end calls from the Symphony and also control tracks back and forth.

So does anyone have any experience of this? Seen any threads or web links that could point me in any direction? Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.

HPsauce 15th October 2017 07:46 PM

I use XCarlink with my RNS-D, it works fine with predictable/inevitable limitations.
I'd guess the setup with Symphony is similar, but I'd ask the supplier the specific question as the RNS-D setup uses the CD connection.
Do you have a picture of the back of your unit?

Spanker 15th October 2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 133787)
I use XCarlink with my RNS-D, it works fine with predictable/inevitable limitations.
I'd guess the setup with Symphony is similar, but I'd ask the supplier the specific question as the RNS-D setup uses the CD connection.
Do you have a picture of the back of your unit?

Alas, I don't have a picture of the back of my unit as it is with MJ at the moment.

What are the predictable/inevitable limitations?
Poorer sound quality compared to a wired set up?
Sound/signal dropping out?

HPsauce 15th October 2017 08:02 PM

Sound quality is excellent. +++

Limitations are due to the way you control things through the RNS, with the external media storage emulating a CD changer, so up to 6 virtual CD's of max 99 tracks each and no names/labels/pictures etc. It's 1990's tech controlling systems from 20 years later so much functionality people are used to just cannot be there if you want to use the OEM controls.

If you just want to stream and control from your device that's fine.
I have mine all hidden with the music on an SD card. Though it could be USB, or AUX cable or Bluetooth input.

To use the phone (handsfree obviously) or stream music directly from it (via Bluetooth) means I have to operate the phone.

Spanker 15th October 2017 08:13 PM

Thanks for the input (no pun intended) Andrew.
So when you connect the unit up to the CD connections on the back of the RNS-D, is it acting as a through-port so that the CD changer is still in use?
Or is your CD changer now out of action?
I get the impression from what you said that as there are 6 CD "slots" on the RNS-D to skip through, then if you have 6 virtual CD's from the XCarlink then it is taking up the "slots" on screen that you would cycle through when the CD input is chosen.

If so, I am not quite sure how it will affect me who has the 6 CD's in the head unit without a changer.
One for the suppliers to answer I guess :(

HPsauce 15th October 2017 08:51 PM

If you have an external CD changer it still works. +++

The electronics in the XCarlink "flip-flop" each time you select CD on the RNS. So to CD/Radio/TV button (if you have TV) actually has the sequence: CD, Radio, TV, XCARlink, Radio, TV and back around again...

If you don't have an external CD changer and it's a Symphony unit - ask the supplier, as you say. ;)

david 18th October 2017 06:35 PM

I had the symphony 2 with internal cd changer and the xcarlink bluetooth adaptor that they insisted was the correct model did not work with the internal changer. I returned it as a faulty item and when the replacement didn't work I eventually got a refund and bought a Dension Gateway. Was slightly more expensive but took 5 minutes to fit and works perfectly.

Ameiseuk 18th October 2017 08:04 PM

I bought one of those Ebay bluetooth units as a workaround with my RNS-D. It's a bit of a faff toggling to 'TV' then to the 'AUX' connection so I tend only to use it if I'm on a long journey.

Unit works well, can stream content from the phone to it and it comes with handy phone controls/built in mic in one handy unit (about the diameter of a £2 coin but twice the thickness)

as long as there is some form of AUX connector then this should work as a viable cost effective solution.

Spanker 19th October 2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david (Post 133928)
I had the symphony 2 with internal cd changer and the xcarlink bluetooth adaptor that they insisted was the correct model did not work with the internal changer. I returned it as a faulty item and when the replacement didn't work I eventually got a refund and bought a Dension Gateway. Was slightly more expensive but took 5 minutes to fit and works perfectly.

Thanks for the advice.
I thought about going for an eBay one too but I ordered a Dension Lite Bt today and it should be with me tomorrow.
All being well, I should be picking up Big Red at the weekend so may just get a chance to install and test it. Especially if it only takes about 5 minutes.
If I get stuck I should be with somebody who can put me right.

MikkiJayne 19th October 2017 05:31 PM

Hmm my radio removal keys got borrowed and not returned. I'll have to see if I can find any locally tomorrow.

Oh, and get the code for the radio!