A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - General (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Help choosing the right A8 please... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10745)

Bushido 28th October 2015 09:00 PM

Help choosing the right A8 please...

My eyes are bleeding and my brain smoking now...:Confused:

What's the real reason behind the assertions that I am frequently reading o the web that the D2 is the better choice / owners car than the D3?

How reliable are the D3 diesels are do they really provide a genuine alternative to the petrols?

I thought I was set on a D2 2,8 Quattro sport. Then started hankering back to the v8. Now Im just lost.

HELP!! :ROFL:

IT 28th October 2015 10:01 PM

While the D2 is definitely more classic, the D3 gives more tech, and to be honest, more reliability as it doesn't suffer the same gearbox woes.

The 4.0 TDi is to be avoided, but the 3.0 Tdi is a good all rounder, and the 4.2 Tdi is staggeringly good.

The 4.2 petrol sounds nice, but does lack a bit of the poke that the turbos give on the TDi's.

It depends what you need.

Share you budget, top 5 must haves, mileage expectations, MPG needs etc and we'll chip in +++

Professor Peach 29th October 2015 12:04 PM

Shouldn't you be looking to buy a Shogun? :D

Sorry! Anyway, yes the D3 has a more modern feel and more tech. More reliable? Well, more tech to go wrong. :D The D2 can feel and look a little dated, but I like it's old skool image (sorry about the spelling there).

Just get your self a D2 S8 and be done with it!

Both are excellent choices to be honest! :love:

Oh and good luck with the hunt!

The_Laird 29th October 2015 12:37 PM

And the D2 is classically beautiful and distinctive. If you find one that's been looked after properly, then reliability is no worse than any other car of that age. Enthusiasts know about the gearbox issues and take steps to avoid the problems (regular, proper service).

Personally, I'd quite like a newer car, but my S8 is as new as the D2 gets (give or take a few anomalies that were registered in 2003). But for all the advantages, extra toys, more modern feel and so on, I just don't love the look of the D3, and it doesn't have the 'claim to fame' of the D2 in that the D2 was a ground-breaking car - just read the book on it!

And what engine - the 4.2 of course (my first '8 was a 2.8 - very nice but not remarkable). Your budget should then decide if it's in an A8 or an S8!

Phil303 29th October 2015 01:39 PM

You can either spread-sheet your way to a solution or go with your gut instinct.

I could have brought a newer, better equipped, more efficient car that was cheaper to run and maintain, but I was smitten with the D2. I've now got a car that still makes me look back over my shoulder when walking away from it in a car park, whereas the D3 (and subsequent models) simply don't do that for me.

The D2 (regardless of spec) is old and dated but it is cool in the same way the Mk2 Golf GTI; the 205 GTI and old W124 Mercs are – in my eyes anyway.

My advice would be to choose the car your heart wants and your budget allows.

tintin 29th October 2015 01:46 PM

I'd say D2 S8 all day every day, for all the reasons given already, unless you're going to be using it daily as a "working car" for a longish commute, in which case something newer like a D3 diesel may be more practical.

Norretal 29th October 2015 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first comment is, you should have bought my PF D2 when you had the chance ;)

Seriously though, if you're looking at a D2 get an S8, preferably one being sold by a regular forum member, which is known to the stalwarts on here. You want one that's all sorted, with the regular problems already taken care of, it'll be worth the extra outlay compared to a tidy looking bargain that may have many problems lurking beneath the tidy bodywork.

The D2 does have the classic styling and the lack of tech (which could go wrong) but also has the advantages of being as roomy inside and having more boot space, which would suit you. The D3 is quite a bit bigger which makes it feel more vulnerable when parking publicly which is why I'm always very selective about where I'll park it. I was cautious with the D2 but it always felt like the parking spaces were bigger ;)

If a 4.2TDi D3 is within your budget that's the car I'd go for, if I didn't have my current car that's what I'd be driving now

Just for comparison, look at the photo of both taken when you came to view, the size difference is apparent.

Good luck with your search mate, ask as many questions as you like, there will be answers and opinions. Once you've narrowed down what you want there will be suggestions made and hopefully you'll find the car to suit you +++

PsYcHe 29th October 2015 02:46 PM

4.2TDI D3 with good toys is an awesome motorway stormer.. It's good on the twisty bits, but is front heavy and you need to work harder to keep it spinning properly.

The only bit I'd watch is mileage with regards to DPFs, etc.. But then you could get a remap and DPF removal, so maybe not all bad.. mine was really quick after the remap and still doing well into the 30's mpg at 85kph *ahem*

Bushido 29th October 2015 09:39 PM

Dear Santa,
Please can your little helpers find me a D2 in the cashmere grey / mauve with a sand interior +++. Would accept a 2.8 QS as its more the A8 than the v8 Im lusting after.
Spec? I understand that the 3.7 was quite poorly specced? Cross that off the list!
I love the QS alloys when mint
Could not possibly have a non sport / s8 interior. Sorry :-(
Flexible with mileage if the car has a proven history.
Body can be in need of TLC as I know Ronnie has a boooofa
colour - favour the greens, blues, silver if the cashmere isn't on offer
I am fortunate in knowing some superb spanner spinners and the local VAG posse visit my neighbour with their RS4s and multitude of Golfs and Corrados.
Plus the site sponsors are a stones throw away.

Budget? Changes daily. Some days I think stay at the bottom end of the market and if the gearbox bails out on me its not the end of the world. Lots of cars appear around the £2k mark and will range from a 98 plate to an 02.

Regrets? Sold on Ians A8 / S8 due to circumstances. Didn't buy Ronnies D2. Maybe regretting not buying the D2 Ian has just bought back. But it seemed more fitting that it went home...

Still no further forward...:Confused:

Bushido 29th October 2015 10:03 PM

Why am I now looking at the ad for the 3.7 lpg car ?? :Confused::Confused: