A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   FL Headlight rubber surround (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14766)

27litres 22nd February 2019 06:24 AM

FL Headlight rubber surround

Hi guys,

I've just been wondering...
How do the rubber surrounds on the headlights of FL D2's stand up to the rigors of time in the UK?

Mine have died from UV exposure and I'm wondering if used replacements from the UK would be worth trying to source?
I doubt very much that Audi would still stock them new.

My only other choice is build up some silicone sealant, or spray the edges of the lights satin black.

The missing edges look a bit odd, particularly around the indicators...

johnny_quattro 22nd February 2019 06:42 AM

My NSF headlight surround has disintegrated right at the join of the bonnet shut/front wing so I'd guess the airflow around there is causing the rubbery compound to break up over time. Curiously, the OSF headlight is perfect but I suspect that one of my front headlights has been replaced at some point.

I'm going to attempt a fix if possible with some Sugru - I've already had some good results when repairing my boot lid grommet (OSR)

HPsauce 22nd February 2019 08:14 AM

Same problem here, I posted about it not long ago IIRC.
Let us know if Sugru works OK. +++

27litres 22nd February 2019 12:41 PM

Sugru sounds like a good idea. Easier to form than silicone.
What's the adhesive quality like? As to do an effective repair will really need to stick to the lights.

johnny_quattro 22nd February 2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 148308)
Sugru sounds like a good idea. Easier to form than silicone.
What's the adhesive quality like? As to do an effective repair will really need to stick to the lights.

It seems to have stuck quite well in the boot lid area and requires 24 hours to cure/go solid. There's a certain amount of give/springiness if you press it hard enough so I'm fairly sure it will do a good job with that annoying flapping bit on my headlight surround. Still, the proof of the pudding is always in the eating so let me have a go at it first beforehand.... I will probably have a crack at this next week sometime as I'm due to leave shortly for Somerset. Hopefully I might get spotted on my way down to the South West of England.

johnny_quattro 25th February 2019 07:03 PM

Had a go

1 Attachment(s)
I've had a go at repairing the NSF headlight surround. Compared to the offside headlight, it was broken right at the join between bonnet shutline and front wing and the remaining material was pretty frail. I shaped and formed the Sugru black stuff whilst supporting it as best I could from behind ( or you'll have nothing to push against).

I admit that the repair is not fit for showroom quality but it works for me. It was annoying to see that little flap of rubber poking out - I pushed it back in on a regular basis but the constant flow of air ensured that it worked its way loose each time after a couple of days. Now it's fixed.

Whilst working on the repair, I double-checked my handiwork on the boot grommets that I've also recently repaired with black Sugru and it all looks good.