A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   D2 wheel spacers advice (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14831)

DailyMike 19th March 2019 01:45 PM

D2 wheel spacers advice

1 Attachment(s)
Hi.

I tow a large caravan regularly and for significant mileage and am wondering if spacers would be of benefit. My caravan is 8' wide,so I'm thinking that a wider stance for my D2 may be of benefit.

I'm running with original 18" QS wheels.

What advice would you give me...and where's a good place to source them from please?

DailyMike.

MikkiJayne 20th March 2019 09:46 AM

I'm not sure if wheel spacers would make any difference to towing a caravan tbh, or indeed make up for the heinous crime of towing a caravan either :ROFL:

On the standard 18" wheels you can fit 20mm front and rear. I favour the H&R bolt-on type:

https://static.europerformance.co.uk...eelspacers.jpg

These bolt to the hubs, then the wheel bolts to the spacer. I run these on my S8. They're not cheap (£115 per axle), but they are TÜV approved so you know they are good quality. Ebay is as good a place as any to find them.

The other alternative is a simple bolt-through spacer with longer bolts. I dislike these because they are a total pain to get the wheel on since everything tries to fall apart while you're putting the bolts in. They're cheaper, but not worth the hassle. The only time I use these is with 20" wheels because you have to do 15 front / 20 rear with those and the bolt-on spacers don't come in 15mm since the bolts would stick out.

DailyMike 20th March 2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148949)
I'm not sure if wheel spacers would make any difference to towing a caravan tbh, or indeed make up for the heinous crime of towing a caravan either :ROFL:

On the standard 18" wheels you can fit 20mm front and rear. I favour the H&R bolt-on type:

https://static.europerformance.co.uk...eelspacers.jpg

These bolt to the hubs, then the wheel bolts to the spacer. I run these on my S8. They're not cheap (£115 per axle), but they are TÜV approved so you know they are good quality. Ebay is as good a place as any to find them.

The other alternative is a simple bolt-through spacer with longer bolts. I dislike these because they are a total pain to get the wheel on since everything tries to fall apart while you're putting the bolts in. They're cheaper, but not worth the hassle. The only time I use these is with 20" wheels because you have to do 15 front / 20 rear with those and the bolt-on spacers don't come in 15mm since the bolts would stick out.

Many thanks for replying promptly to my query, MikkiJane!

Whilst I appreciate your (frequently justifiable) comment about the "heinous crime" of towing a caravan, we're not ALL guilty as charged. I have on several occasions over the years been complimented about the "spirited driving" I've exhibited whilst towing a 9.1 Mtr long, 8' wide caravan, frequently overtaking inconsiderate, slow-driving "solo" drivers who shouldn't be driving at all, when safe to do so.

On one occasion, I've even had a Police officer in Scotland compliment me for driving so well for about 60 miles along the Loch Ness to Fort William road without causing a tailback...

Enough of self-congratulatory comments....

Thanks once again!

DailyMike

MikkiJayne 20th March 2019 11:12 AM

I'm just teasing :p The D2 is an outstanding tow car. I tow a lot myself - usually broken D2s on a flat bed +++

DailyMike 21st March 2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148951)
I'm just teasing :p The D2 is an outstanding tow car. I tow a lot myself - usually broken D2s on a flat bed +++

Haha...I get teased quite a lot, so have taken various "teasers" for an educational ride to show that caravaners needn't be the mobile traffic jam that is the common perception ;~}

Happy towing, MikkiJayne! :cool::cool::cool:

DailyMike 22nd March 2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148951)

Hmmmm...broken D2's, eh!

I'm looking for the casting that goes between the Ignition key and the switch.
Mine's been broken for weeks and I have to use a stubby screwdriver to switch on and turn off.

Been unable to source the correct one...the spindles on the couple I HAVE been able to source have a different profile, despite saying they'd be suitable for my car.

Hoping you'll be able to sell me one MikkiJayne...will you be able to "make my day"?

Wasn't sure how to "aim" a new thread in your direction, so I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules/protocols!

Mike.

MikkiJayne 22nd March 2019 09:37 AM

Do A8parts not have one? Can you PM me a pic of what you need?

MikkiJayne 22nd March 2019 12:12 PM

Worth noting that 'broken D2s' on trailers means broken and in need of mending, not for taking to pieces, so I don't generally have spare parts to sell. I am grateful the good folk at A8parts do that for us. They take them to bits, I put them back together again +++

DailyMike 22nd March 2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148996)
Worth noting that 'broken D2s' on trailers means broken and in need of mending, not for taking to pieces, so I don't generally have spare parts to sell. I am grateful the good folk at A8parts do that for us. They take them to bits, I put them back together again +++

Gotcha!

They were the first guys I got in touch with, MikkiJayne. When I described the problem in detail, they promptly supplied me with a Key and ignition barrel...not the right solution, unfortunately.

I also bought a snew witch, but that's AOK, too. Just that in-betweenie-bit that's a problem to get hold of. If i had any hair, I'd have pulled it all out by now! :Confused:

Thanks for the prompt reply, though.

All the best.
Mike.

DailyMike 22nd March 2019 01:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148996)

Whoooooops...missed this reply earlier! Sorry!

Pics taken...as you'll see, the broken bit of the original casting is longer than the new "replacement". I was going to try re-profiling by cutting away the shoulder of new one to match, but I don't have anything with a fine-enough head to rework to conform to the original profile...it's got linear ridges and a semi-circle that would need to match perfectly to operate correctly. :(

Kind regards,

Mike.