A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   S8 Brembos - replacing hard lines with braided? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15532)

Zip 22nd February 2020 10:34 AM

S8 Brembos - replacing hard lines with braided?

Hi,

The hardline into the back of the callipers is no longer available. I had mine on and off a few times, they've twisted a bit, and I'm not sure I trust them anymore. Has anyone replaced them, with soft braided lines? Is it doable, or even advisable? Just had my calipers stripped again, and need to refit them.

Thanks in advance,
Zip

Zip 23rd February 2020 06:39 PM

Anybody? Mikki??

Cheers, Zip

MikkiJayne 23rd February 2020 06:53 PM

I just make new hardlines from standard copper tube. I think the reason they did this was to constrain the motion of the flexi hose, so while technically there is no reason you couldn't just run a flexi straight in to the caliper, I'm not sure what the motion would look like then. Standard, its in a nice U shape and stays that shape wherever the steering / ride height is - just a larger or smaller radius. If you had a union coming straight from the back of the caliper then I think the hose has a much larger range of movement.

HEL (who are 6 miles from me) could make up pretty much anything in stainless braided, but having had a look at a caliper today I'm not sure what shape you'd want to make it tbh.

Zip 24th February 2020 09:39 AM

I was thinking you could just replace the hard line section...rather than the whole run up into the arch...? Is that possible?

Would you be willing to make me up a couple of hard lines for a fee please...? :)

Thanks,
Zip

MikkiJayne 24th February 2020 09:55 AM

Oh I see what you mean. With the right shape unions on the end it would probably work, but it seems slightly overkill then when copper pipe will work instead.

I need to replace my flare tool with a better one so this might be a good excuse :D

Zip 24th February 2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 155909)
I need to replace my flare tool with a better one so this might be a good excuse :D

Yes please! You could send me that blind at the same time........;):ROFL:

Cheers,
Zip

Zip 28th February 2020 11:07 PM

Hi Mikki...not sure how serious you were...I need to get the car back on the road...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Zip

spannerrash 29th February 2020 07:11 AM

If you still have the original pipes and they are still in one piece, you could try taking them to a local garage to get some made up. Use them as a template. Be aware they are handed and so are slightly different on each side.

Zip 29th February 2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannerrash (Post 156047)
If you still have the original pipes and they are still in one piece, you could try taking them to a local garage to get some made up. Use them as a template. Be aware they are handed and so are slightly different on each side.

I was thinking of doing that. Thanks,
Zip

MikkiJayne 29th February 2020 07:26 AM

I have one made. Hopefully will get the other one done today +++