A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Trouble? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9254)

The_Laird 8th December 2014 06:37 AM

Trouble?

On the way to work this morning, the ABS lights came on and then I noticed that the car had no 'oomph'. The revs seemed to climb, the engine didn't respond to the throttle.

It felt a bit like it was in limp mode, but the gear lights weren't on and it was apparently changing gear OK.

Any ideas?

andycaca 8th December 2014 07:44 AM

no idea but first thing would be to plug the car into VCDS and do a full scan.

HPsauce 8th December 2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 85800)
then I noticed that the car had no 'oomph'. The revs seemed to climb, the engine didn't respond to the throttle.

Similar symptoms to my ongoing problem, though mine happens "randomly" (or not) and there's no ABS light.
Mine always clears with a throttle "blip" (off/on), how did yours?

Zip 8th December 2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 85800)
On the way to work this morning, the ABS lights came on and then I noticed that the car had no 'oomph'. The revs seemed to climb, the engine didn't respond to the throttle.

It felt a bit like it was in limp mode, but the gear lights weren't on and it was apparently changing gear OK.

Any ideas?

Sounds like what I had a couple of years back. If I'm correct, it was the throttle position sensor failing, sending dodgy signals to the ECU, and the car going into a sort of limp mode - throttle flat to the floor, and only a hint of acceleration, and ABS light on. Turn off and on again cleared it a couple of times, but I ended up getting towed from just off the M6 North bound when I started panicking that it was gearbox related and lost my bottle.

Had it replaced at Audi in the end.

Z

The_Laird 8th December 2014 12:10 PM

Expensive?

moltuae 8th December 2014 12:41 PM

I had a similar problem a while ago too, but in my case it was the ABS pump.

As I understand it, you'll get the loss of power symptom with most ABS faults, since the traction control makes the assumption that a wheel may be slipping and therefore limits the power.

In my case, the fault was very intermittent at first, but (from memory) it would usually put the ABS light on, which remained on until cleared, by turning the ignition off and on. Sometimes it wouldn't happen for days or weeks; other times it would happen several times in one day. Eventually the fault became permanent.

When the pump was diagnosed, I assumed they meant the pump built into the ABS controller unit under the bonnet, but it turns out there's a separate pump on vehicles with ESP, hidden away behind the n/s front wheel arch (I think).

Not sure exactly how much the new pump cost in the end, but it wasn't cheap; 2 or 3 hundred quid at least I think.

steamship 8th December 2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 85826)
Expensive?

A8parts have a throttle position sensor at £25.99 and ABS pumps starting from £110, although as HP says, it's sounds very similar to the fault he's had for ages, which I've also experienced a few times as well, but no ABS light.

Zip 8th December 2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 85826)
Expensive?

Can't remember....it wasn't peanuts at Audi main dealer though...

I'll check when I'm back home later in the week.

Z

notorious 8th December 2014 04:27 PM

Jim, is ABS light still on?
What VCDS is saying?

HPsauce 8th December 2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 85840)
A8parts have a throttle position sensor at £25.99

Any idea where that actually fits and how easy it is to swap?