A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   New noise (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14861)

tc4332 31st March 2019 07:35 PM

New noise

Fired the A8 3.0 TDI 2004 (ABS engine) up today to go on a family Mum's day visit.
After a few seconds a strange noise started. Stopped the engine restarted and again after a few seconds the noise could be heard.
Lifted the bonnet and using old fashioned screwdriver sensing techniques resolved the sound to the high pressure fuel pump.
New Lucas pump priced at £800, A8 parts at £130 (nil stock).
No apparent problems apart from the noise, bit like an unbalanced wheel catching something. Engine running as sweet as ever.
Tried again some five hours later (what can you do on a Sunday when a problem appears?) and no noise!!!!
Went for a run and still good.
Tried again an hour later and still good.
OK, plan of action is visit my Indie tomorrow and listen to his prognosis.

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye (exit music plays)

tc4332 5th April 2019 01:52 PM

Here we are six days later and I’ll try to bring you up to date.
Problem started on Mum’s Sunday.
Monday visited my Indie and he resolved it to swirl flaps. He didn’t want to do a “flap delete” because he couldn’t do a remap. He recommended a local ex Audi guy who had a quick listen and agreed to tackle it today, Friday.
Arrived bright and early and he started with “Replacing the flaps could be very expensive”.
His face dropped when I said “Don’t replace, remove and remap”. I think he realised his AUDI trained stealing method had been thwarted, but he nicely offered me a cuppa and while I went to get one, he had another listen. He caught me before I could organise the kettle and reported “That’s timing chain mate, and I can’t do it, not enough space and my garage is too small”
Obviously, I looked rather annoyed at the new prognosis. By this time, we were back at my car with the bonnet up and he said ”it’s the passenger side chain” and pointed to the rear of the engine as if the lump would have to come out to fix the chain.
I left immediately because the timing chains are not at the back of the engine.
I’ve ordered a pair of refurbed and strengthened manifolds from Germany £250, complete with two new motors, gaskets and new bolts.
I certainly won’t recommend him to anyone. I’ve spoken with my own indie and he will swap both manifolds for me.
Won’t need remapping now.
Anybody know the part nş for the plastic coolant pipe that apparently always breaks when doing something like this?

MikkiJayne 5th April 2019 02:13 PM

Um, the timing chain is at the back, and the engine does have to come out to do it...

https://www.audiworld.com/news/04/a8tdispec/30tdi-2.jpg

tc4332 5th April 2019 03:10 PM

Thanks MJ
We learn something new every day.
This noise is in the inlet manifold and at the front, not the rear.
Guess we'll find out when the manifolds come off.

MikkiJayne 5th April 2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 149373)
This noise is in the inlet manifold and at the front, not the rear.

That's good +++ Chains is not a fun job :p

tc4332 6th April 2019 07:43 PM

The other strange thing is that the rattle does not increase much when I increase the revs.
The other thing is that there is a delay afetr starting the engine before the rattle starts.
If it was chains it would be there from start and I think it shourd increase with revs.
But then again I am just an old don't know nothing long retired electronics buffoon, so what do I know.:D

ainarssems 6th April 2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 149422)
The other strange thing is that the rattle does not increase much when I increase the revs.
The other thing is that there is a delay afetr starting the engine before the rattle starts.
If it was chains it would be there from start and I think it shourd increase with revs.
But then again I am just an old don't know nothing long retired electronics buffoon, so what do I know.:D

Makes perfect sense. If it the noise does not change with revs it cannot be related to any rotating components. Maybe air/vacuum leaks.

moltuae 7th April 2019 10:42 AM

It's a diesel Ray. The rattle is normal.

Replace tractor engine with petrol engine ... job done. :p ;)

Seriously though, I must admit I was surprised how quiet Craig's 4.2 diesel is.

I hope you get to the bottom of your noisy noise.

tc4332 7th April 2019 03:05 PM

As opposed to a "noiseome" noise?

Replacement manifolds due later this week, then we will know. Fingers crossed.

erubus 28th April 2019 09:45 AM

My old 4.0 TDI had a timing chain rattle. It usually started once the oil had heated up a little. Sounded a bit like a spray can with the wee ball inside. Never got round to sorting due to the need to remove the engine and the expense. Car got wrecked by a (deleted)driver before it became a more than an annoyance.

My current 4.2tdi had no rattle or any indication of timing chain problems but managed to break the one going to the left hand bank. So far it has sat for about five months while I work up the will to take the engine out. Will be many hours work just to find out if the engine can be saved, then many more hours of paid work to pay for replacing all the parts if it can be fixed.

I'd be making absolutely sure it's not the timing chain before discounting it