A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   front foglights tested in MOT ? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13573)

oldnick 4th November 2017 08:23 AM

front foglights tested in MOT ?

have just noticed that one of my front FL foglights doesn't work , probably just the bulb
undid the two torx screws but still not able to extract the lamp to change the bulb ...what am I missing ?
MOT next week ....have I got to fix this to pass ?
also only have rear foglight working on drivers side ...is this still legal and is it normal ?

HPsauce 4th November 2017 08:43 AM

One rear foglight is standard. Front fogs are not part of the test.

MikkiJayne 4th November 2017 08:52 AM

One rear fog is normal, to distinguish fogs from brake lights.

Front fogs aren't a requirement of the MoT iirc, however may come under the 'if its fitted it has to work' premise, depending on how picky your tester is - some don't even check.

If my awful memory is right, the early FL with 2-piece grille has two screws and a tab. Undo the screws and move the light inboard a little to unhook the tab and it comes out. The later single-piece grill version is three screws and no tab.

David's8 4th November 2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 134543)
One rear fog is normal, to distinguish fogs from brake lights.

Front fogs aren't a requirement of the MoT iirc, however may come under the 'if its fitted it has to work' premise, depending on how picky your tester is - some don't even check.

If my awful memory is right, the early FL with 2-piece grille has two screws and a tab. Undo the screws and move the light inboard a little to unhook the tab and it comes out. The later single-piece grill version is three screws and no tab.

Surely the later FL grill is just a push fit to engage the tabs - which is why they always drop out, get lost and then cost a small fortune to replace. The wise screw or tie-lock them in place before that happens.

oldnick 4th November 2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 134542)
One rear foglight is standard. Front fogs are not part of the test.

thanks andrew , am busy packing my 2 tonne trailer for a trip to uk starting tomorrow so it was a job I didn't need right now , gives me time to find what the fitment is !
strange about the single rear foglight .....my first car since 1980 which hasn't had twin lights I think ...unless I am mistaken even my two 7A 20v 90's had twins

MJ just seen your post tks ; got the 2 piece grills ...not ! will try pushing the light in as you suggest !

david ....I keep an eye out for my missing grill halves .....never yet seen them ...probably even dearer that the one piece !

MikkiJayne 4th November 2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 134546)
Surely the later FL grill is just a push fit to engage the tabs - which is why they always drop out, get lost and then cost a small fortune to replace. The wise screw or tie-lock them in place before that happens.

The foglights have screws behind the push fit grilles :)

David's8 4th November 2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 134548)
The foglights have screws behind the push fit grilles :)

Damn - Right as always MJ. I didnt read it carefully enough to realise you were talking about the light :o

Dezzy 4th November 2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 134553)
Damn - Right as always MJ. I didnt read it carefully enough to realise you were talking about the light :o

Come on David keep up

David's8 4th November 2017 12:39 PM

i'm too busy re-newing ARB bushes and drop links today. :p

oldnick 9th November 2017 05:10 PM

just got a confirmation about fogs;
definitely not included in the MOT