A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Replacing std speakers, not bose, to better ones? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15608)

NightOwl 3rd April 2020 07:38 AM

Replacing std speakers, not bose, to better ones?

I've been trying to search for info about replacing std speakers in a A8 D3 with std speaker system, and there seems to be nothing. The reason to replace is that they sound like crap, so I hardly use the sound system at all since I bought the car over five years ago. Does anyone know the size of the speakers, and will, lets say a 6,5" speaker fit with the bracket in the door if the original one is 6,5"? May bose speakers from at D3 fit, assuming they sound better? I'm not thinking about replacing the amps or anything else, just the speakers.

J i m s t e r 4th April 2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl (Post 156729)
I've been trying to search for info about replacing std speakers in a A8 D3 with std speaker system, and there seems to be nothing. The reason to replace is that they sound like crap, so I hardly use the sound system at all since I bought the car over five years ago. Does anyone know the size of the speakers, and will, lets say a 6,5" speaker fit with the bracket in the door if the original one is 6,5"? May bose speakers from at D3 fit, assuming they sound better? I'm not thinking about replacing the amps or anything else, just the speakers.

The problem is everything is component-protected on an optical link, IIRC.

I feel the same way about mine.

steamship 4th April 2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J i m s t e r (Post 156751)
The problem is everything is component-protected on an optical link, IIRC.

Since it's only the speakers being replaced, there shouldn't be an issue with component protection.

NightOwl - What about contacting the forum sponsors and asking them about speaker dimensions, as at least they are more likely to have them sitting around? You could also query impedance values as well.

NightOwl 4th April 2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 156755)
NightOwl - What about contacting the forum sponsors and asking them about speaker dimensions, as at least they are more likely to have them sitting around? You could also query impedance values as well.

Good idea, inquiry sent.

NightOwl 6th April 2020 01:28 PM

Short update.

I ripped off a door panel in the front today, and can say that no 3. party speakers will fit without considerable fabrication as the bracket for the speaker was molded together with the speaker housing. But that said, looking at the BOSE speakers for sale at eBay for the D3, it looks like the bracket is also molded together with the speaker housing in the same way, so maybe it would be just to swap them out?

MikkiJayne 6th April 2020 02:37 PM

It looks like an ordinary speaker screwed in to a bespoke bracket from pictures on Google images. Did you remove the speaker from the door card or just look at the back of it?

It also looks like Audison do a direct drop-in replacement: https://srotas24.co.uk/car-parts/aud...872993648.html

NightOwl 6th April 2020 07:03 PM

Thanks for the link and comment, MikkiJayne.

I removed the speaker completely from the door, and the bracket and the speaker housing is made out of one piece of plastic. Although, looking closer at the BOSE speakers, it looks like they are screwed into at separate bracket like those in the Audison link.

In the afternoon I received a message from Prestige Motor, that the BOSE speaker will fit directly and will work. He confirmed that they have done it for a customer. Obviously it won't be like a complete BOSE system without the proper amplifier and also the BOSE system has to two speakers in the parcel shelf (and a center treble in the front) that the std sound system doesn't have.

I feel tempted to go on with this... :)

dangerdred 14th April 2020 05:30 PM

Not meaning to send the thread OT but does anyone know why the standard door speakers have two input connections and the sound is the same from each?

NightOwl 15th April 2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerdred (Post 156863)
Not meaning to send the thread OT but does anyone know why the standard door speakers have two input connections and the sound is the same from each?

Good question! My initial thought was that Audi used the same speaker in more models and may have two together and use the second connection to connect the other speaker. It would lower the impedance and the amp wouldn't be too happy with that though. Also, doing a search on 4E0035411M, gives only A8 D3 fitment, so maybe it's not used in any other models? On the other hand, a lot of speaker elements do have dual terminals for plus and minus.

Talking about speakers, the BOSE set is on the way and have expected arrival on Friday. :)

MikkiJayne 15th April 2020 08:33 PM

Is one connection the input from the amp and the other the output to the tweeter?