A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Should I have oil in this connector?? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15753)

strummagnet 28th June 2020 10:11 PM

Should I have oil in this connector??

1 Attachment(s)
Hello again,

Whilst removing the F125 (anybody know best place to source a new one?) switch I noticed this little item on the 'front' of the gearbox. curiosity prevailed and I unhooked it. Switch of some type me thinks but should there be traces of oil in there?:Confused:

MikkiJayne 28th June 2020 10:18 PM

No, but it isn't unusual for stuff to get a bit oily down there. Clean it out with contact cleaner or naptha-based brake cleaner and see if it comes back.

F125s are really genuine only tbh. There are chinese copies of one of the two versions (I don't recall which) but I doubt they are worth the effort of swapping them. However, I have found that 99% of F125 problems can be solved by dismantling the switch, cleaning it thoroughly, reapplying a tiny bit of contact grease and reassembling it. My own on the grey S8 has been going for 5 years since it's rebuild.

If you do replace it, don't bin the old one - send it my way +++

Architex_mA8tey 28th June 2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 158329)
I have found that 99% of F125 problems can be solved by dismantling the switch, cleaning it thoroughly, reapplying a tiny bit of contact grease and reassembling it. My own on the grey S8 has been going for 5 years since it's rebuild.

So my broken one was the other 1% then?! :(

strummagnet 28th June 2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 158329)
F125s are really genuine only tbh. There are chinese copies of one of the two versions (I don't recall which) but I doubt they are worth the effort of swapping them. However, I have found that 99% of F125 problems can be solved by dismantling the switch, cleaning it thoroughly, reapplying a tiny bit of contact grease and reassembling it. My own on the grey S8 has been going for 5 years since it's rebuild.

If you do replace it, don't bin the old one - send it my way +++

I have had a quick look online and only 2nd hand showing up or an NS-349 from the US???. I prefer to get a new replacement ( if not bonkers money), if so you are welcome to the old one. :)

MikkiJayne 29th June 2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 158330)
So my broken one was the other 1% then?! :(

Yeah pretty much. Actually since I've fixed 8 so far, that makes yours 11% but I expect that to drop as the sample size increases ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by strummagnet (Post 158331)
I have had a quick look online and only 2nd hand showing up or an NS-349 from the US???. I prefer to get a new replacement ( if not bonkers money), if so you are welcome to the old one. :)

The part number is 01V919821B. They are £250-odd from Audi or £25+ from China via ebay or Amazon.

David's8 29th June 2020 08:58 AM

My F125 was £153.06 +Vat (from TPS IIRC) when fitted by my local indy garage.
I took mine apart out of interest and the contacts were gubbed (pitted and not making contact properly} but may have been repairable in MJ's capable hands.

MikkiJayne 29th June 2020 10:08 AM

Ah perhaps its the older round-plug one which is £200+ then? That one is unique to the D2 (and probably NLA now), whereas the later rectangular plug version (1-chassis onwards) was used on loads of stuff up to 2008.

I may need to come up with a retrofit-kit to make the later switch work in the early cars actually...

strummagnet 29th June 2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 158338)
I may need to come up with a retrofit-kit to make the later switch work in the early cars actually...

Looks like the 3D printer is going to come in handy.......