A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   help needed (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15952)

V10ERR 6th November 2020 12:43 PM

help needed

so today i notice that my parking sensors no longer work , all i get is a continus beep from the rear and nothing from the front , any pointers please:Confused:

The_Laird 6th November 2020 01:01 PM

When that happens on the D2, it’s because one or more of the sensors has failed. You can check which one with a VCDS diagnostic tool. You can buy D2 replacements on ebay and they’re not too difficult to fit. Ditto on an A6 that I did recently.

steamship 6th November 2020 01:28 PM

As 'The Laird' mentions, use something like VCDS to locate the faulty one. From what I've read previously, if one fails on the D3 it seems to disable the lot.

If you don't have VCDS, people have suggested switching the ignition to the ON position, put it in reverse, and then either place your finger on the end of each sensor in turn and you should feel it or place your ear next to it.

The_Laird 6th November 2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 160747)
From what I've read previously, if one fails on the D3 it seems to disable the lot.

It’s does on the D2 as well, in my experience. And on the A6 that I sorted. You need access to a VCDS and then find a replacement on ebay. I can’t comment on how difficult/easy the job is on a D3, but it can’t be that tough.

homer simpson 6th November 2020 07:39 PM

I know you looked into this, but definitely get yourself VCDS. These cars are pretty complicated and full of electrics. Well worth the money.

spannerrash 6th November 2020 08:07 PM

I had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago. VCDS miss diagnosed which one it was or I miss understood VCDS. ended up replacing the wrong one.

Second time round I used my ear. They are sonic sensors and so make a clicking noise like a dolphin. Although not completely silent, one was much quiter than the others.

I managed to change them both without removing the bumper cover but the inner one's are much harder to access than the outer ones. Or the other way round, I can't quite remember. Either way, one is harder than the other.

steamship 6th November 2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 160758)
It’s does on the D2 as well, in my experience. And on the A6 that I sorted. You need access to a VCDS and then find a replacement on ebay. I can’t comment on how difficult/easy the job is on a D3, but it can’t be that tough.

Odd, as (thankfully) I've only ever had one fail on the D2 but the rest kept working. The rear D3 ones are real easy to replace, the front centre ones require a bumper off job.

johnny_quattro 7th November 2020 10:43 AM

A cheaper alternative to VCDS is OBDEleven, which is an OBD dongle controlled by an app on your phone. It cost me about £45 from memory for both the app (+ licence) and the dongle. Mine picks up the fact that my inner left rear parking sensor is faulty. Which reminds me, I must get round to replacing it - it's only been a year or so now ;) The OBDEleven unit has also been able to recode my gearbox, which I enthused about in another recent thread on 'autobox peculiarities'.