A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Reverse issue (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12548)

peiiider 11th January 2017 09:30 PM

Reverse issue

So this has happened to me two times now, over the 6 months I have owned the car..

Trying to reverse up a steep hill, the engine will rev to ~1800rpm and then it seems there is no power. No matter how much throttle I press, nothing happens.

The first time the car didn't move backwards at all (front wheel was outside the edge of the road, so it was extra tough), the second time the car was filled with people (everybody got out and then I managed to get the car up the hill).

Am I looking at two months salary for a remanufactured gearbox, or could it be an oil issue ? Previous owner claimed the oil was changed when he bought the car, but it wouldn't be the first claim that turned out to be wrong...

No fault codes of course.

Mechcanico Lee 12th January 2017 12:01 PM

Check gearbox oil first , the car being on such an angle on the road maybe allowing the sump pick up pipe to draw air if the oil level is low to start with .

snapdragon 12th January 2017 03:02 PM

I have had the same problem reversing up my drive which is a hill if I am also driving onto ramps at the same time. I thought it was some clever effect of the reversing sensors beeping on the bins preventing implausible amounts of power. Were your parking sensors beeping? It's definately engine power restriction, not the gearbox or it would be 5000rpm.

peiiider 12th January 2017 09:11 PM

No parking sensors activity while this has happened for me..

I guess it has to be the engine restricting the revs like you say, maybe the car has to reach a certain speed before it lets the revs rise higher ? But then it's back to a gearbox issue, why it doesn't lock the clutches to increase the speed.. And if there is something wrong that tells the engine to reduce torque, why doesn't it throw a code..

HPsauce 12th January 2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peiiider (Post 122763)
And if there is something wrong that tells the engine to reduce torque, why doesn't it throw a code..

Why should it if that is how it is designed/documented to work? :Confused:

peiiider 13th January 2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 122767)
Why should it if that is how it is designed/documented to work? :Confused:

But I really don't think my 450nm TDI is supposed to struggle reversing because of a hill..

snapdragon 13th January 2017 01:21 PM

But if I am on the flat in R and put my foot down, it will shoot off as expected but will test again at the weekend.

peiiider 30th April 2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdragon (Post 122806)
But if I am on the flat in R and put my foot down, it will shoot off as expected but will test again at the weekend.

Yes same thing here, on flat ground it shoots off in R like I think it's supposed to.. Thats why I believe there is something wrong..