A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bi-Turbo 3.0tdi SQ3 A6/A7 engine (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15448)

roberto 18th January 2020 10:06 AM

Bi-Turbo 3.0tdi SQ3 A6/A7 engine

has any body got any views/experience on these cars or this engine..

i recently looked at an A6 C7 with 145,000 mles on and it was clean,dry and ran spot on and sounded fantastic..
i didnt buy it but im very impressed with performance and economy with this engine..

im thinking of buying an A6 C7 Avant 3.0 tdi Bi-Turbo.
seems to be quite rare too.

MikkiJayne 18th January 2020 10:54 AM

Its a completely bonkers engine. A friend has one which is dressed up to look similar to an RS6, and few people would doubt it based on the way it moves. Last I heard it was making 800nm on standard internals, and it makes my S8 look like an electric milkfloat :rolleyes:

roberto 18th January 2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 155003)
Its a completely bonkers engine. A friend has one which is dressed up to look similar to an RS6, and few people would doubt it based on the way it moves. Last I heard it was making 800nm on standard internals, and it makes my S8 look like an electric milkfloat :rolleyes:

OH, ive just made an offer on one at an Audi dealer they want £29,000
so i offered £27,500

They said NO

IT 18th January 2020 12:38 PM

Sootchookers are losing money hourly...... My Q7 is losing money faster than any of my RS6s did. Honestly.

Inner city bans, high tax discs, tighter MOT's, Turbo lag, DPF problems and of course, that awful tractor sound.... Oh, and did I mention the smell ?....

The motor trade is in the biggest mess its ever been in.... They can't shift diesel cars.... and, can't afford to discount them any further. Nobody wants them.

The BiTdi was a superb engine, 7 years ago when it came out. More turbos, more eco crap, more stuff to go wrong, clog up, and break. Great for tuning. Not so great for regular daily reliability.

If I absolutely had to drive something sooty, I'd lease it, only so I knew my loses were contained and its all under warranty for when it clogs up and breaks. I think its going to be a very turbulent few years in motoring imo...

They are limping the last few breaths out of diesel engines whilst major manufacturers figure out how the hell to make something electric, and good. And in the meantime, petrol, has actually come back into favour....

roberto 19th January 2020 03:06 AM

IT im gonna have to disagree

ive rang up a few of these and they sell quickly
the new S6 tdi says it all
when lithium runs out and it will before oil and half the world is polluted with dead battery's people will want there derv cars back
i think diesel is here to stay
yes they loose money what doesn't , but Euro 6 cars will be fine
my A6 3.0 tdi (track car) just passed mot with perfect emissions
ive tried to buy the mrs a few cars all tdi Sold every time
cant buy a nice tdi Q3 either always overpriced or sold
cant see a problem myself

Adrian E 19th January 2020 08:19 AM

May well be a regional element to it - you might find south east dealers are happier to take an offer (or around other major cities with potential low emission zones)

roberto 19th January 2020 01:15 PM

it is south east and euro 6 so perfect....
ive gone off the idea now after 3 phone calls from them trying to extract more money out of me....

Norretal 19th January 2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberto (Post 155047)
ive gone off the idea now after 3 phone calls from them trying to extract more money out of me....

They obviously don't realise you're a Yorkshire man :ROFL:

IT 19th January 2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberto (Post 155042)
the new S6 tdi says it all

The one that sounds so disappointing, they play a petrol engine noise through the internal speakers to make it sound better ?.... ;)

Quote:

i think diesel is here to stay

I think it'll be the first to go - for cars at least - So we'll agree to disagree on that one..... :-)

Quote:

but Euro 6 cars will be fine

They are 'cleaner' because they hold more of the dirty stuff back inside them using ever increasingly complicated fudgery to do so....

So yes, you can drive a Euro 6 in more places (but not all, some places are blanket banning diesel regardless), providing it hasn't broken down.... But John Doe on the street doesn't understand Euro 3/4/5/6, he just sees a dire part exchange value on his old car and so starts the downward spiral

Quote:

my A6 3.0 tdi (track car) just passed mot with perfect emissions

C6 though isn't it ? Last of the 'just get on with making power' engines, before they had to knuckle down and make the tail pipes smell like roses.

The way the MOT has changed, the tests for diesels in particular (bad pun, sorry) have got very very tight. You're going to have little choice but to replace that faulty emissions kit with good (expensive) stuff if you don't want your car to be a write off, which seriously hammers the 2nd hand value. Plenty of owners taking their cars for first MOT since buying it to find the previous owner cut corners and Vosa are finally doing a pretty decent job of clamping down on cowboy MOT testers, so the days of having "a mate in the trade" are numbered.

So, my (personal) opinion about diesels being in decline stands - Petrol is superior in every way bar a few MPG, and probably a bit of torque. Audi have lost the plot moving onto diesel for the S models, they really have. The S cars are about bragging rights, 0-60's, rev limits, top trump winning specs, the sound and showing everyone you're doing all right because you didn't have to economise and buy the TDi Repmobile version of the chassis you wanted......

Anyway, back on track....... I'll get off my soap box now I've hijacked your thread....

If you have to have a Diesel, then yes, a twin turbo is a great shout, if you really have to have one...... :-)

roberto 20th January 2020 02:54 AM

ooooh i say !

IT. ian sorry , there are no soap boxes on here and your ranting and raving is perfectly fine and i understand all of it..

we have all sorts of people and opinions on here and its a great forum..

sadly as im now 65 i seem to be stuck in my ways as i was brought up in heavy commercial engineering / fairground manufacture and the day's of the
Gardener 150 / 180 diesel engine..

Working on lorry's like ERF / Foden / etc then later on Volvo F86 F88

Diesel is in my blood lets hope its not given me anything nasty..

im actually on the fence now but Seriously What petrol engine today is any good ?

i was fancying another RS6 C7 but heard about Turbo issues
this is so difficult as it will be my last car

i think ive just hi-jacked my own thread :-)