A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   VCDS (aka Vagcom) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   NEW DTC: P0322 soon after fixing last fault! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14880)

DailyMike 6th April 2019 07:52 PM

NEW DTC: P0322 soon after fixing last fault!

Having had my trusted local mechanic replace the ignition switch and the mechanical bit that slots into it on Friday, I had a correctly running D2 for all of 12-15 hours or so.

Today, it's being an absolute mare and stopping frequently...WHILST IN MOTION THIS TIME!!

THIS AFTERNOON:
My cheapo VS450 VAG code reader is (intermittently) detecting the following code, but ONLY detects this via ISO9141 protocol:

* P0322
* Ignition/Dist Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal

Can anyone please point me in direction of where the signal source comes from and if it's easily replaced?

Interestingly, just before the last incident, I had the car happily running on cruise control and it still shut down, so presumably the two signals are from different sources?

ADDITIONALLY, when the car started for the first time both yesterday and today, it's misfiring, but that clears up after a few minutes ...

YESTERDAY's Codes...ALL detected immediately after running rough upon first starting:

* Engine speed sensor (G28) No signal: P0322
* Static no define
* Random/multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected: P0300
* Static - no
* Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected:P0305
* Static no indication on
* Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected:P0303
* Static No indication on
* Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected:P0307
* Static - No indication on

ALL the above cleared within a mile of starting and engine ran sweetly thereafter.

By comparison, THIS MORNING'S Codes:

* Random/multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected: P0300
* Static - no
* Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected:P0305
* Static no indication on

I'm pulling my hair out...and I only have about seven on my head to start with!!

Thanks in anticipation!

DailyMike.

ainarssems 6th April 2019 08:18 PM

Sounds like engine speed sensor is on it's way out. Usually when it starts failing it's Ok on cold engine and cause problems when hot but sometimes can be other way round, presumably due to dry internal joint. as it expands or contracts heating up and cooling down it can make or loose connection. It will get worse with time and fail completely eventually. Plus possibly another problem with cylider 5.

DailyMike 6th April 2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 149420)
Sounds like engine speed sensor is on it's way out. Usually when it starts failing it's Ok on cold engine and cause problems when hot but sometimes can be other way round, presumably due to dry internal joint. as it expands or contracts heating up and cooling down it can make or loose connection. It will get worse with time and fail completely eventually. Plus possibly another problem with cylider 5.

Yeah...thanks for your prompt response.

Do you happen to know:
1. Where it's located?
2. Is it easy to get to and replace the sensor?

Cheers,

Mike.

MikkiJayne 6th April 2019 08:48 PM

Its on the front left of the gearbox bellhousing just in front of the output flange. You can reach it through the wheel arch. There is a cable tie holding it to the back of the engine block which can be a bit of a pain to get to. The connector is grey and is clipped to the firewall just to the side of the heater hoses.

Part number is 077905381F.

DailyMike 6th April 2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 149423)
Its on the front left of the gearbox bellhousing just in front of the output flange. You can reach it through the wheel arch. There is a cable tie holding it to the back of the engine block which can be a bit of a pain to get to. The connector is grey and is clipped to the firewall just to the side of the heater hoses.

Part number is 077905381F.

Thanks, MikkiJayne!

I'll see if A8parts have one in stock first thing Monday! I need to order 04-off Lambda sensors from them too...I always get error codes relating to them. I mainly run the car on LPG..will the Lambda sensors being faulty effect the economy when running on LPG as well as on petrol?

Kind regards,

Mike.

ainarssems 6th April 2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyMike (Post 149425)
Thanks, MikkiJayne!

I'll see if A8parts have one in stock first thing Monday! I need to order 04-off Lambda sensors from them too...I always get error codes relating to them. I mainly run the car on LPG..will the Lambda sensors being faulty effect the economy when running on LPG as well as on petrol?

Kind regards,

Mike.

I would go for new one as they are known to be common fault item. I think they brake down due to heat cycling an a second hand could fail soon again so could be false economy. Same for lambda sensors.

DailyMike 6th April 2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 149426)
I would go for new one as they are known to be common fault item. I think they brake down due to heat cycling an a second hand could fail soon again so could be false economy. Same for lambda sensors.

Thanks for the excellent info and advice.

I'd come to the same conclusion when I saw that a new Bosch speed sensor will have a FIVE YEAR guarantee.

I'll see if A8spares can supply new.

Kind regards,

Mike.

steamship 7th April 2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyMike (Post 149425)
Thanks, MikkiJayne!

Kind regards,

Mike.

Running the car on LPG shouldn't have any effect on the lambda sensors. As ainars says, replace them with new ones, as the pre-cat one's are a pain to get at (and you don't want to put a second hand one in only for it to fail soon afterwards). Admittedly, I did mine on a 3.7, so assuming the 4.2 layout is very similar.

BTW The only issue I ever had with running on LPG was about six months after I got the job done, as it kept reverting back to petrol. Was told at the time it was a faulty coil pack, but having experienced another faulty coil pack recently, I'm doubting that explanation now.

DailyMike 7th April 2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 149442)
Running the car on LPG shouldn't have any effect on the lambda sensors. As ainars says, replace them with new ones, as the pre-cat one's are a pain to get at (and you don't want to put a second hand one in only for it to fail soon afterwards). Admittedly, I did mine on a 3.7, so assuming the 4.2 layout is very similar.

BTW The only issue I ever had with running on LPG was about six months after I got the job done, as it kept reverting back to petrol. Was told at the time it was a faulty coil pack, but having experienced another faulty coil pack recently, I'm doubting that explanation now.

Thanks for your input, Steamship.

I was confident the Lambda performance wouldn't affect LPG, but thought I'd double-check. I'll speak to A8parts tomorrow morning about supplying new sensors and get them installed ASAP.

I'm desperate to get the A8 running properly, as I've ruptured my left Achilles tendon two weeks ago and it'll be a SIX CHUFFIN' MONTHS recovery with no weight-bearing on that foot for at least EIGHT WEEKS!!! Good job it's the left one and the A8's an automatic!

DailyMike