A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Okay, so something new on the D2! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15650)

Davey Blueeyes 30th April 2020 09:20 AM

Okay, so something new on the D2!

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I do have an oil leak somewhere that's wafting a bit of smoke out of the drivers side front arch, just a bit. And this last week I have something new!

When I make a turn, left or right (unless it's about 2 mph!), this warning light comes up with no other lights illuminated and makes a right racket for between 5 and 30 seconds then just goes off on it's own?? It is much more likely to start squealing if the turn involves a slight change of gradient either up or down or a touch of adverse camber?

I really need to find a local garage but sadly I am yet to find one that's open on the island. There must be one! :ROFL:

Stay safe everyone and any speculation, idle or otherwise, to help me in my quest is welcome!

Edit - Why do all my photos show on the squonk??

MikkiJayne 30th April 2020 10:27 AM

Brake fluid level - it probably needs topping up a little, although that then raises the mystery of where it has gone...

ainarssems 30th April 2020 11:07 AM

Could be well related. Brake fluid leaks out and gets on something hot - either brakes themselves hot or maybe wind blows it on exhaust etc.

Davey Blueeyes 30th April 2020 08:56 PM

Thanks MJ and ainars. I've not had a decent chance to look around it but I'm off now for three days with my son, I've never been so busy!

Brake fluid sounds plausible, as you say MJ I wonder where it's coming out if so??

David's8 1st May 2020 07:40 AM

I had the same symptoms - sharp turns or acceleration brought the warning light on. The level sensor is in the front of the reservoir i believe so any thing which throws the level off centre when its near the minimum level will cause the alarm to light up and then be ok when on the straight and level. As MJ says, where's it gone to is the key question? Mine was leaking from the handbrake actuation lever on the rear o/s caliper but it could be just about anywhere in your case I guess.

paulrstaylor 1st May 2020 09:42 AM

Depending on when you last checked the level, could just be well worn pads.... ever the optimist :ROFL:

MikkiJayne 1st May 2020 09:54 AM

It could well be that simple +++

Davey Blueeyes 4th May 2020 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, fluid was a little on the low side! I'll get some today if I can find somewhere open! I know Halfords is but I'm allergic to them!

Thanks all, hopefully this will sort it. I'm checking the oil with every fill up as it loves a drop of that! When we are back to normal I can get it in for a proper check over as see if she can get better at fluid retention! :ROFL:

Thanks all, stay safe, much love

Edit - hooray! Pic is around the correct way!

ainarssems 4th May 2020 02:44 PM

That fluid looks very dark and greenish and a lot of dirt on top part of reservoir. It's probably not been changed for ages. The green colour comes from additive which turns green from water so it looks like it has absorbed fair amount of water from air moisture and boiling temperature has been decreased. I would be looking to change fluid soon, it's supposed to be changed every 2 years regardless of mileage.