A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Small Road Trip News (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15056)

Nognar 23rd June 2019 04:04 PM

Small Road Trip News

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/picture.p...pictureid=1169

The old D2 QS 2.8 drove there and back perfectly, it was a supreme European express.

Quiet, comfortable, excellent Air Con and returned 32mpg including some Autobahn work.

Visited a few other places as did a European trip (2000 miles in a week) but thought the need just to post the one photo. Though I should say the Audi Museum/ Forum is well worth a visit if you are passing in the area (They have a lovely D2 in Imperial Red there from the Tokyo Motor show in 1993)

All in the 16 year old D2 did the trip better than many new cars could not even come close to managing.

briang9 23rd June 2019 10:05 PM

Superb+++ had a similar experience recently in my S8 on our trip to the annual meet, covered just over 1400 miles in superb comfort..they really are very comfortable cars. My MPG was a tad less at 19.8, but I did have SWMBO clothes on board for 10 days:rolleyes:..and some parts provided by our Sponsors on the return leg:D

Nognar 23rd June 2019 10:15 PM

My S8 stayed home for this one as I wanted to take the QS on a run, also the S8 and LPG are not welcomed on the Eurotunnel.

Plus the boot was huge and perfect for stocking up on essential beer supplies in Belgium.

moltuae 24th June 2019 07:32 AM

Great photo +++

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 151202)
but I did have SWMBO clothes on board for 10 days :rolleyes:

I can relate to that :ROFL:

I've found a partial solution recently though (and I don't mean leaving her at home) ...

Instead of a bunch of mixed size cases that we used to lug around, including a huge one that she always managed to fill, I bought some 20 inch 'cabin cases'. One great thing about the small cabin cases (apart being smaller and 'wheeled'), is that they are a perfect fit into the very back of the D2 boot. Sizes can vary slightly from one brand to another, so you'd need to check before buying, but you can usually fit 4 or 5 of them (on their side), right at the back. Not only does that make loading the boot a lot easier but it gives better weight distribution, putting the weight forward of the rear wheels.

Having smaller cases also seems to make us both more selective, packing less overall. We have 5 of the cabin case, should we need them, but it becomes a challenge to use as few of them as possible. +++

tc4332 24th June 2019 10:37 AM

Using hotels more than most folks I have learnt over the years that the bigger the case the more you seem to need to take with you.
I only had a small case that I have managed with for years, staying away for on average 6 days a time, occasionally for longer.
Having Jordan with me at Falmouth I thought a larger case would help. Daughter-out-Law bought me one from Costco. Lovely case but ginormous alongside my normal one but somehow we managed to fill it to the brim for only three overnights.
On the way home I had to use three bags for the extras we picked up.
I reverted to my normal case for my weekend in Llandudno.

Architex_mA8tey 25th June 2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 151208)
Instead of a bunch of mixed size cases that we used to lug around, including a huge one that she always managed to fill, I bought some 20 inch 'cabin cases'. One great thing about the small cabin cases (apart being smaller and 'wheeled'), is that they are a perfect fit into the very back of the D2 boot. Sizes can vary slightly from one brand to another, so you'd need to check before buying, but you can usually fit 4 or 5 of them (on their side), right at the back. Not only does that make loading the boot a lot easier but it gives better weight distribution, putting the weight forward of the rear wheels.

Having smaller cases also seems to make us both more selective, packing less overall. We have 5 of the cabin case, should we need them, but it becomes a challenge to use as few of them as possible. +++

. . . and its like Thunderbird 2 with various "pods" of clothing you can extract to suit the occasion. . . :D