A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1100)

Reffro 27th July 2009 01:58 PM

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

Practically the only thing my car wasn't fitted with and its one thing I really like. What's involved in retro fitting the auto dimming mirror? Is it even possible and what is the likely cost? Help please......

ChriS8 27th July 2009 05:09 PM

Hi.

Is your car a 1994 or 1995??

Chris.

----------------
Now playing: Bloodhound Gang - Screwing You On The Beach At Night
via FoxyTunes

Reffro 27th July 2009 07:27 PM

2002 s8

IT 30th July 2009 10:06 AM

Its not too tricky....

The autodip interior mirror has simple + 12 supply, ground and connection for reverse (so it turns off when you select reverse) - It also has an output that can be used to drive the exterior door mirroring dipping too if you want that...

GlynH 29th October 2009 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian@A8Parts (Post 6349)
Its not too tricky....

The autodip interior mirror has simple + 12 supply, ground and connection for reverse (so it turns off when you select reverse) - It also has an output that can be used to drive the exterior door mirroring dipping too if you want that...

Hi Ian,

Hope you're well...it's been a while...

Quick question for you - one of the first things I did when I bought my S8 nearly 3 years ago now was to buy & fit the auto-dipping mirror - well along with a switch or two to replace those boring plastic covers. :ROFL:

I never did get round to wiring in the mirror and was thinking I needed the harness for it.

Looking at your post above it would appear that I might be able to take the +/-12v from the interior light - ignoring the reverse signal of course but at least it would save me squinting when some pillock comes up behind on full beam!

Would you happen to know what colours on the auto-dipping mirror wiring correspond to +/-12v please?

Can't remember what colours are in the mirror harness but will feel a little embarrassed if it turns out to be red/black! :o

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Night Train 23rd April 2010 04:52 PM

I'd go along with this one.......... and 'bump' it

Anyone know the wiring for an auto dip pre facelift, my 'new' mirror has 3 wires
Black with Blue trace, Brown, and Blue with Red trace, and best place to take feeds from?

Thanks

IT 27th April 2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Train (Post 11475)
I'd go along with this one.......... and 'bump' it

Anyone know the wiring for an auto dip pre facelift, my 'new' mirror has 3 wires
Black with Blue trace, Brown, and Blue with Red trace, and best place to take feeds from?

Thanks

Black with blue trace = ignition + 12v
Brown = Ground
blue with red trace = Reversing feed

There is no easy place to get the feeds from in the roof as the interior lights arent ignition controlled, and the sunroof power feed is controlled by the central locking module as it works for a short time after ignition is off so that you can still close it, and it can be done from the remote.

If it were me, I'd pop off the passenger side A pillar trim and run cables up there directly from the relay box under the passenger footwell carpet. I would imagine that you will likely be able to tap the reverse feed from down there somewhere too. It will be blue/red and runs the length of the car to the boot down the sills, most likely the passenger one....

Hope that helps...

Night Train 27th April 2010 10:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up Ian,
That's fantastic, I'll get stuck into that over the weekend. My immediate project is iPod & USB integration which I may do tomorrow if the weather's ok and the ordered parts arrive in time. (Dension Gateway 300)
I'll report back if this is successful, failing that I guess I'll be looking at possibly upgrading the head unit (something OEM Audi) not sure quite how radical to go though.....

HPsauce 21st December 2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Train (Post 11566)
I'll report back if this is successful

I know it's an old thread, but did this ever work?

The lack of an auto-dim mirror on my 1998 PF S8 has always niggled!

I've even upgraded my similar-vintage Ford Focus with one which is nice; it was pretty easy - just needed to run a longish single wire to find a suitable switched 12V supply - took earth from the interior light.
(took 12V from the night-lighting connector on the back of the radio in the end as it was easy to identify and access)

Nollywood 21st December 2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 30722)
I know it's an old thread, but did this ever work?

The lack of an auto-dim mirror on my 1998 PF S8 has always niggled!

I've even upgraded my similar-vintage Ford Focus with one which is nice; it was pretty easy - just needed to run a longish single wire to find a suitable switched 12V supply - took earth from the interior light.
(took 12V from the night-lighting connector on the back of the radio in the end as it was easy to identify and access)

It works great - my pre-facelift A8 4,2 QS had auto dim rearview mirror, however, my pre-facelift S8 didn't. I ran my feed direct from terminal 15 (via the fue / relay panel in the passenger side).