A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Caliper Carrier Bolt removal (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16350)

Mr_Owl 20th July 2021 01:01 PM

Caliper Carrier Bolt removal

Yes, the dreaded aluminium vs steel corrosion has got one of my carrier bolts almost solid. With a breaker bar and a bit of scaffold tube, I can turn it. Just. The top one came out no bother, the bottom one is binding. Have applied PB Blaster over a few days with no change.
The D3 is my first experience with aluminium parts so I don't want to bugger it up.
My next move is going to be boiling water treatment. I can get a blowtorch on the bolt, MAPP gas on a Rothenburger torch, but is this going to cause more harm?

I could just leave it, as I can get the disc off as it is. But that doesn't sit right in my head and I plan to keep the car for a long time.

I am also wondering what state the pinch bolts are in and if I should be doing some PM on them...
Thanks

Johnmed 20th July 2021 09:19 PM

I seem to remember I had similar issues on my OSF a few years back. Last resort had me using alternating between penetrating oil, blow torch, and brute force. The car nearly won that day.

steamship 21st July 2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Owl (Post 165900)
I am also wondering what state the pinch bolts are in and if I should be doing some PM on them...

In a word, yes. Anyone who has had to deal with them knows how much trouble they are to remove, so a bit of PM on them will hopefully help. The following post will give you an idea of the work involved in removing a seized one:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post11386276

Mr_Owl 1st August 2021 09:12 PM

Update:

It's out! Having spent the last two weeks alternating between sulking and applying PB Blaster, I plucked up the courage to apply the blow torch. Boiling water did bugger-all and the Blaster didn't make any difference.

Thanks for the replies and the links. I was wary about overheating and damaging the alloy suspension leg. I swaddled the rubber bits with wet rags and used a moderate flame to warm the bolt and surrounding alloy. Using a 6 sided socket on a bar, the bolt turned a little easier than before. Little by little, it started to come out. I thought it had sheared at one point, but given the size and strength of the bolt it would take more than me on the end of a short breaker bar.

A small file was used to clear the crud of out of the hole on the suspension leg - this had packed itself so tightly around the bolt that none of the penetrating oil had got in. It didn't need a lot of heat, gently does it.

On a happier note, the pinch bolt seems reasonably free. I will buy some new ones and replace as a preventative measure.

One side almost done. Wonder what the other side will be like...

Johnmed 1st August 2021 09:41 PM

Hallelujah. From memory my OSF was hard going, and made me question my very existence and each and every choice I’d made in life before that point.

As if nothing had come before, the NSF was plain sailing and took minutes.

dangerdred 5th September 2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Owl (Post 166098)
Update:

It's out! Having spent the last two weeks alternating between sulking and applying PB Blaster, I plucked up the courage to apply the blow torch. Boiling water did bugger-all and the Blaster didn't make any difference.

Thanks for the replies and the links. I was wary about overheating and damaging the alloy suspension leg. I swaddled the rubber bits with wet rags and used a moderate flame to warm the bolt and surrounding alloy. Using a 6 sided socket on a bar, the bolt turned a little easier than before. Little by little, it started to come out. I thought it had sheared at one point, but given the size and strength of the bolt it would take more than me on the end of a short breaker bar.

A small file was used to clear the crud of out of the hole on the suspension leg - this had packed itself so tightly around the bolt that none of the penetrating oil had got in. It didn't need a lot of heat, gently does it.

On a happier note, the pinch bolt seems reasonably free. I will buy some new ones and replace as a preventative measure.

One side almost done. Wonder what the other side will be like...

I'm lost, caliper carrier bolt and suspension leg??