A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Lights a bit yellow - bulb options? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12109)

Mossyboy1978 8th September 2016 07:24 AM

Lights a bit yellow - bulb options?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Looking at my headlights yesterday it looked like the dipped beam was a bit yellow. Prof Peach (who owned the car previously) thinks they are probably xenons but the xenons on cars i have previously owned are a lot brighter and whiter (almost blueish) when on.

Can someone please confirm that these are in fact xenons and if so, whether they should be providing a different hue?

If so, I'm going do a bulb change so would love some recommendations for suitable bulbs that won't deliver error codes and offer a better quality of light.

Some photos attached to help determine the situation.

Thanks

Mossy

HPsauce 8th September 2016 07:44 AM

Yes they are dual xenons and the colour is correct, probably 3500K or 4300K.

The "blue" colour you refer to will (mostly) be aftermarket kits that use a higher colour temperature, often as ridiculously high as 7000K.
Those bluer bulbs don't work as well, it's purely cosmetic.

You have a lovely OEM car, keep it that way. +++

Architex_mA8tey 8th September 2016 07:46 AM

Well they are the later FL bi-xenon lights so I would imagine that they are xenon bulbs, from the pics the colour doesnt look that bad but did you wait for them to properly warm up etc before you judged their colour? if you did then changing the xenon bulbs over would be the only solution I would think

Adrian E 8th September 2016 07:47 AM

Hiya

Those are bi-xenons using a d2r bulb for headlight/main beam. There's a seperate halogen bulb for flash and also comes on with main beam (the round one in the corner)

There are modern d2r osram bulbs available that claim to be a good bit brighter, but depends on the age of the bulbs in there as they do dull and change colour temperature with age

What you might also notice is that the sidelight bulb is both pathetic and very yellow. There are led options but unless you want to see a pcb through the front of the headlight your options involve some dismantling to modify the reflector to accept a chunkier housing bulb. I've done this on mine with detailed pics, so worth looking for a thread on headlight refurb :)

The_Laird 8th September 2016 08:49 AM

One other cause of the 'yellow' bulbs might be discolouration of the plastic 'lens'. The headlights are quite easy to remove and dismantle and the plastic lens can be cleaned, perhaps using a proper plastic cleaner/scratch remover rather than just soap and water.

Conquistador 8th September 2016 09:27 AM

OEM colour temp is 4250k if I remember correctly.

Mossyboy1978 8th September 2016 09:42 AM

Thanks everyone

Adrian - the LEDs are already in place and I'm fine with the PCB look so will leave

HP - always happy with OEM as long as I can see where I'm going.

Laird - lenses are lovely and clean. So its certainly the bulbs.

I will investigate Osram brighter bulbs but most importantly it looks like its bi xenon which is what I was hoping anyway!

Thanks for the helps chaps

Mossy

homer simpson 8th September 2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conquistador (Post 117285)
OEM colour temp is 4250k if I remember correctly.

Yes this is about right.

Personally I tend to find the 5-6000k bulbs more to my liking as they are more 'pure white'

mattylondon 8th September 2016 11:59 AM

Reason OEM colour temperature is around 4300K is because that's the peak output lumens/watt. Once you're over 6000k the output brightness reduces.

Adrian E 8th September 2016 12:48 PM

There are 2 lenses on the bi-xenons the inner one is plastic and clipped on. Goes dull with age, but don't recommend anything more aggressive than water to clean it if you decided to strip the lights. The silver finish on the edges of the inner lens isn't terribly robust to chemicals!

Is it just dipped beam you're not happy with?