A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   House and Home DIY (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Pergola or Car Port (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11973)

David's8 2nd August 2016 07:42 PM

Pergola or Car Port

3 Attachment(s)
After being in this house for 20 years without a garage, I decided that at least one of the vehicles (guess which one?:rolleyes:) ) was going to get some protection. I am fed up cleaning seeds, leaves and airborne cr@p from the car drains. So I decided that the most economically viable option (and sort of within planning control guidelines) was a pergola with a roof. Started a few days ago putting in some pads for the verticals in an area which was the start of a path around the front lawn and making the area larger. Got some of the structure up today having cut most of the parts whilst waiting for the concrete pads to set. When completed it will be a section longer than in the photo at around 6m. So it will, of course, fit a certain car..... ;)

Turbo Tony 2nd August 2016 08:09 PM

Great idea!

I have a garage, but it's accessed through an alley, which kinda defeats the purpose. I'd love some protection from the elements in the driveway.

mattylondon 2nd August 2016 08:19 PM

Excellent work! Just make sure the structure is no higher than 2.5m as that's the permitted development limit for buildings / enclosure's when next to a boundary.

+++

moltuae 2nd August 2016 08:26 PM

Nice idea David +++

I've been planning to do something similar myself. Like you, I have a parking area but no garage. I had been considering putting up four timber posts then using something like corrugated clear acrylic sheeting as a roof.

Are you sloping the roof to allow the rain to run off?

David's8 2nd August 2016 08:30 PM

Thats interesting to find out! Quite by accident the posts are 2.4m at the front. :)

Johnmed 2nd August 2016 08:50 PM

Really nice idea. I have a garage but I have to snake between the gates at the side of the house and drive past the house into the back garden to access it. Oh and it's about equal in size to the 8, AND full of stuff.

I guess an added bonus of this pergola of yours is that it won't become a large shed!

David's8 3rd August 2016 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 115685)
Nice idea David +++

I've been planning to do something similar myself. Like you, I have a parking area but no garage. I had been considering putting up four timber posts then using something like corrugated clear acrylic sheeting as a roof.

Are you sloping the roof to allow the rain to run off?

I intend using Ariel Plastic's Corolus corrugated PVC either 1.1mm or 1.3mm. They do a 0.9mm version but I have been warned off that. B&Q do a good price atm. Polycarbonate is v expensive but stronger. The recommended slope is a minimum of 5deg with 10deg being better for run off. I am going with 5 deg.
I would say that if you want to get all of your '8 under cover then its going to be over 5m in length and if you only use 4 posts then thats a big span without central support and most timber comes in standard lengths under 5m (i.e. my 150x50mm beams are 4.8m in length).

tintin 3rd August 2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 115678)
So it will, of course, fit a certain car..... ;)

And on the three days a year when the temperature is more than 22 degrees, it can be a shady area for your garden parties ;)

David's8 3rd August 2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 115698)
And on the three days a year when the temperature is more than 22 degrees, it can be a shady area for your garden parties ;)

:ROFL: mmm....maybe. Today is supposed to be summer and work is stopped due to torrential rains and wind. :-(

1781cc 3rd August 2016 11:24 AM

Will the PVC be strong enough for the very rare winter snow? and will 5 deg be enough for it to slide off?

I think this is a great idea, I am looking at my driveway now weighing it up +++